Porthos

Dune 2 Opening Weekend Thread [3/01/24 -3/03/24] [82.5m DOM OW]

It was the opposite for me. Just came back, this is the best blockbuster I've seen in years

Hopefully it legs it out. Doing my part by spamming people I know :hahaha:

• Like 2

Just now, Daxtreme said:

It was the opposite for me. Just came back, this is the best blockbuster I've seen in years

Hopefully it legs it out. Doing my part by spamming people I know :hahaha:

Yeah im also forcing (in a nice way ofc) people to watch Dune Part 1, so i have an excuse to either go to Dune 2 again in theaters or force them in this way to watch it by themselves. All in all, im directly and indirectly responsible for 11 Dune Tickes sold already lol

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

I mean theres people that hate LOTR. Ive heard some people say that Jurassic Park is a snoozefest. I personally hate Titanic and have made myself unpopular with this take on these boards a few times.

No movie ever will please everyone and thats completely fine i think. Though im ofc sad to hear that the Dune movies are not your cup of tea.

Yeah, not every movie is for everyone and I'll just accept that.

• Like 3

Something to consider: Dune Part Two was announced the Tuesday after Part One’s release. Messiah is almost certainly happening now (there’s been rumors that it has been greenlit for months), but will they hold off on an announcement until Villeneuve is ready to go with it, since he wants some time to breathe/do another movie?

30 minutes ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

I can see Nolan sticking with Universal after how they handled Oppenheimer, especially if (when$m) he nabs the Oscar. But it seems like he and WB are mending bridges at least.

And Universal is bigger than Warner Bros as well (studio wise), plus they want their movies to stay in theaters as long as possible, which is something that may make Nolan stay in Universal.

Warner Bros on the other hand is saying they will focus more on Theaters from now on, but yeah I don’t think they would let a move stay almost 1 year in theaters like Universal did for Oppenheimer.

However, WB is Nolan’s cinematic home, he worked there for 20 years and WB always put big money in his movies. So this also make him decide to give WB another chance. This feeling of “belonging” is really important for many directors. Anyone But You director for example said he had better bids for Anyone But You but he wanted to get back to work with Sony, where he produced all of his movies.

Edited by leoh

3 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

Something I find funny is that Shyamalan had a conversation with Nolan that was part of the reason that convinced Nolan to choose Universal, and then he jumped ship over to WB.

What a twist.

• Haha 7

2 hours ago, MightyDargon said:

Which is why they straight up pissed off every single acclaimed director in the animation side with their Coyote antics.

Honestly, I feel people exagerate the "directors are mad with WB about Coyote movie" idea.

I'm pretty sure there are angry directors, but most people working there seem to accept that (even if they don't like it).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/1/2024 at 11:34 AM, DAJK said:

Unrelated to Dune, but now that I'm working now and no longer in school, I have more time on my hands in my non-work hours, and have been trying to catch up on (good) movies from the 80s-90s-00s that I've never seen (so if any of you have recommendations, send them my way!)

Watched Apollo 13 last week. Pretty good movie, well-directed and well-acted, even if I didn't connect with it on an emotional level. 4 stars.

Watched Edward Scissorhands last night. UM... WHY HAS NO ONE FORCED ME TO WATCH THIS MOVIE BEFORE NOW??? Big Fish is my favourite movie of all time, so I'm all for sentimental Burton. It's still my #2 Burton (nothing will ever top Ewan McGregor in a field of daffodils) but it's really strong, and the last 30 minutes really, really works. Also, Danny Elfman....?!?!?!?! Ice Dance has got to be one of my favourite pieces of music ever written for a film. 

I want this Burton back. Hopefully Beetlejuice 2 is good and has some of his flair from his earlier works. But I really hope he makes something original next. A high-concept fantasy/fairy-tale. 

Edward Scissorhands is a classic. My favorite Tim Burton film, still his best work (tbf I haven’t seen Big Fish yet). 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MightyDargon said:

Question is whether Zaslav is too stingy to make Messiah. He's killed a lot of projects already.

You could notice these projects were originally streaming movies.

Zaslav's direction for WB has been to move away (at some level) from streaming. That's why he scrapped streaming movies, which he has no interest to turn this into theater movies.

I really doubt Zaslav has a reason to reject a pretty profitable theater movie like Dune.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

I think Nolans divorce with WB is a permanent thing after that falling out. And especially after Oppenheimer, Universal will surely want to ensure Nolan stays on their boat.

Warner has been cozying up to Nolan lately. They gave him a pretty big royalty payment on Tenet and re-released Tenet in IMAX. Meanwhile I think they have Nolan’s friends like Villeneuve, Iñárritu, and Shyamalan recruiting Nolan to come back to Warner. 

The hilarious thing about the situation is Dune Part 1’s release on streaming was a major part of Nolan’s decision to leave, yet the Dune guy is one of the people trying to convince Nolan to move back to Warner. And even funnier is that Shyamalan helped recruit Nolan to Universal, while Shyamalan turned around and moved to Warner! Ridiculous, lol

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Warner has been cozying up to Nolan lately. They gave him a pretty big royalty payment on Tenet and re-released Tenet in IMAX. Meanwhile I think they have Nolan’s friends like Villeneuve, Iñárritu, and Shyamalan recruiting Nolan to come back to Warner. 

The hilarious thing about the situation is Dune Part 1’s release on streaming was a major part of Nolan’s decision to leave, yet the Dune guy is one of the people trying to convince Nolan to move back to Warner. And even funnier is that Shyamalan helped recruit Nolan to Universal, while Shyamalan turned around and moved to Warner! Ridiculous, lol

If Nolan returns to WB, they legit will have an monopoly on the premier modern talent 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, redfirebird2008 said:

That’s nowhere close to Scorsese demanding $200 million for The Irishman or Flower Moon. 

Scorsesee clearly isn't an overly compelling draw these days, have to think the days of his getting blank checks are 100% over.

1 hour ago, Dominic Draper said:

I really tried to like these 2 Dune movies. I want to. But I just don't.

I respect the craft and that's about it. The rest I just find so drab, bland and dull. I don't care about the characters. Timothee and Zendaya have absolutely 0 chemistry on screen and play more like siblings. I don't care about the story, or find it interesting. I don't even find it visually appealing because of the desert setting.

I let myself buy into the hype for this one and I just walked out confused again. It felt like another part of a story. I thought it would be all the payoff from 1 and make me appreciate 1 more. But I walked out feeling like I got duped into watching a middle chapter.

I kept waiting for these epic action scenes, or for Austin butler character to wow me like people were hyping up. And it just never happened. I ended up looking at those people like Stilgar with over the top glazing.

I'm happy people are enjoying it but it's not for me.

1000%. The film is boring. There is not much action at all. All the big money shots were in the trailer. Butler is in the film for 5 min. Chalamet is wooden as a wall. Zendaya is the only one bringing any real energy, though their romance is historic levels of bad, zero chemistry between them at all. 

Feel like this is aa more widely held opinion than some are being open about bc they don't want to be "that guy" or "the girl" but there is no emotional hook to this film at all, legit. zero. 

Edited by excel1
  • Like 1
  • Astonished 1
  • ...wtf 3
  • Knock It Off 3

For me, Dune1 was a 6/10 movie, whereas Dune2 was a 7/10 movie. I felt like the action sequences were little bit flat, didn't have much WOW factor. There just wasn't anything much exciting about any action sequences in the movie. I am glad we did get these Dune movies but I doubt I am ever gonna re-watch these movies again in near future.

Edited by upriser7
  • Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

1 minute ago, excel1 said:

Scorsesee clearly isn't an overly compelling draw these days, have to think the days of his getting blank checks are 100% over.

Ridley Scott still gets $200m blank checks despite not having made a hit in 11 years. He has even more projects lined up like the Bee Gees Biopic and another action movie.

Name recognition goes a long way in Hollywood.

6 minutes ago, excel1 said:

1000%. The film is boring. There is not much action at all. 

Feel like this is aa more widely held opinion than some are being open about bc they don't want to be "that guy" or "the girl" but there is no emotional hook to this film at all, legit. zero. 

The entire movie is basically action lol. And you've never been right a about what audiences think about a movie. Wrong this time too.

14 minutes ago, excel1 said:

If Nolan returns to WB, they legit will have an monopoly on the premier modern talent 

They should try to get Fincher. Warner can easily find the budget for $25 million projects like Mank, instead of Fincher wasting his career on Netflix. That’s where directors go to be forgotten. 

Just now, redfirebird2008 said:

They should try to get Fincher. Warner can easily find the budget for $25 million projects like Mank, instead of Fincher wasting his career on Netflix. That’s where directors go to be forgotten. 

Fincher seems to really like working at Netflix tho

• Sad 1