Porthos

Dune 2 Opening Weekend Thread [3/01/24 -3/03/24] [82.5m DOM OW]

5 hours ago, MightyDargon said:

They're not "buried" if he's getting creative freedom to do R rated work the studios clearly aren't interested in.

His last 2 movies are some of the worst movies of his career. Netflix does him no good, he needs a studio stick to do better as much as doesn't like it and streaming release means those movies won't last.

Also we just got R-rated 100+mln biopic that made a billion, just saying.

8 hours ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Supposedly a $25 million budget for Mank.

There's no chance Mank cost $25 mln, like not even close.

Edited by Firepower
  • Like 1

Movies go to Netflix and other streaming plattform to die and to be culturally irrelevant. Fincher and other directors (should) know this. The power of the Netflix paycheck is strong though.

• Like 9

Streaming does't help a movie being culturally relevant, that's for sure. Imagine Barbie or TGM as a Netflix movie...

Films such as Glass Onion, Leave the world behind or Extraction would have generated stronger impact as theatrical releases. What would have happened if Society of the Snow would have opened in theaters?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

I’m surprised with Pugh/Zendaya/Butler/Timothee doing all the press that it didn’t have bigger number of 18-24 audience. 

I assume they attract the 18-24 audience they could, but actor power to attract audience is limited.

Currently, movies mainly attract audience for the concept. And Dune's concept seems to attract msinly over 25 years old people.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Kon said:

I assume they attract the 18-24 audience they could, but actor power to attract audience is limited.

Currently, movies mainly attract audience for the concept. And Dune's concept seems to attract msinly over 25 years old people.

Well it’s just they’re huge on social media and those 4 were the main ones wheeled out for the publicity. I’m sure that audience turned up too, but I didn’t think the over 25 split would be just as high. 

41 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

What do you mean? You think it was a lot less than $25 million, or a lot more than $25 million? Wikipedia says $25 million. 

A lot more than 25 mln. Wikipedia is not reliable source for this kind of stuff.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, von Kenni said:

I shouldn't even reply to your misleading and deceiving post but @Daxtreme had such a perfect description of what you have been consistently doing that speaks volumes:

----

Concern trolls say they are fans of something, "oh I so want it to be good, but..."

The "but" is key here.

They're always "concerned" about the success of something but "hey, I'm a big fan, I'm just concerned!"  Then if you stalk their messages you realize that the only coherent line of thought throughout is that they actually want it to fail. AKA, the opposite of what they're saying. They only act like an ally because being an upfront hater is ill-perceived, especially in close-knit communities, so concern trolling it is (it's more subtle, harder to spot)

Perfectly said

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Brainbug said:

Movies go to Netflix and other streaming plattform to die and to be culturally irrelevant. Fincher and other directors (should) know this. The power of the Netflix paycheck is strong though.

Reminds me how Liman took a higher paycheck and streaming release of Road House over theatrical one, and now pretends he was promised a theatrical release and Amazon scammed him. It's always about money.

Edited by Firepower
  • Like 1

That $25 million number came from an Awards daily interview.

Honestly, if Fincher is happy where he is, I don't see a reason to complain. Maybe he really does value creative freedom over being in the "cultural conversation".

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

The "cultural conservation" argument was always BS considering even del Toro has worked with Netflix and most of his movies are superior to Fincher's save Fight Club.

Thats completely subjective.

8 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

The "cultural conservation" argument was always BS

Hard disagree. Movies on streaming have literally near-zero cultural relevance and are forgotten extremely fast. Streaming shows are a different beast, but movies just go to die on streaming services. The main reason for this is what people need to do in order to view these movies. With streaming, you just need to sit on a couch and push some buttons. With theatralic movies, you need to make the effort to go out of your house, drive or go to a theater and then watch the movie with some other people.

Thats why people remember even bad movies that they saw in theaters for a very long time, because it took a lot of time and effort to watch it, regardless of quality. While a streaming movie, regardless of quality, only takes a little bit of time and basically no effort.

If movies want to stay in the cultural memory, they need to be released in theaters. Thats imo a general rule with only very few exceptions and looking at interviews with filmmakers and actors, thats also what they believe.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, AniNate said:

That $25 million number came from an Awards daily interview.

Fincher said that? Maybe he meant his paycheck, he was always expensive director, Panic Room cost 48 mln in 2002 and a bunch of his projects were cancelled because of ballooned budgets, he would never do a period piece for Netflix on such a miserable budget.

Edited by Firepower

2 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

"That's completely subjective" there's no way to have a conversation of cultural impact that is not subjective.

Well, yes of course. Every opinion on every subject matter is inherently subjective because we are all humans and none of us has a truly objective look on things when it comes to art. Science etc is another discussion, but when talking about movie culture, everything is always subjective.

I personally look at plattforms such as YouTube, TikTok or Twitter and i see Dune trending on many of them. YouTube especially gets flooded at the moment with reviews, video essays etc. In the last few years ive never seen anything on this scale for streaming-only movies.

Its also (in my opinion ofc) only logical when you think about it: Everything that takes some effort to do has a higher chance of securing a place in your memory. The less effort it takes, the less likely it is that you will remember it. Streaming is designed to make watching movies easier, more comfortable and ultimately less time-consuming. And that is exactly the right way to make a movie less memorable and hence, less culturally impactfull.

• Like 2