Porthos

Dune 2 Opening Weekend Thread [3/01/24 -3/03/24] [82.5m DOM OW]

From @BoxOfficePro

Demographically, Dune: Part Two skewed heavily on the men side with 59% Male and 41% Female, with 64% of the audience over age 25. Here’s the breakdown:

65% Caucasian

14% Hispanic

9% African‐American

8% Asian

4% Native‐American

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

From deadline where they quote posttrak. 

“The question: do more of the Zendaya fans come out and does this turn into more of a date night film than it is: 20% came with their partner/spouse while 11% brought a date versus 21% who went alone and 17% who brought one friend. Women under 25 at 10% attended, and they gave the Timothee Chalamet, Austin, Butler, Zendaya pic an 85% to the 93%-plus grades of the other demos. Dune: Part Two is dude leaning at 65%. “

Maybe that's data for Friday only since the figure was in the Saturday AM update. I'm not familiar with this. I don't know if there's supposed to be separate figures for OD or OW.

1 hour ago, Issac Newton said:

Like with Dune 1 these OS estimates will go up too with actuals. Most likely the bigger than expected Sunday will be happening almost everywhere. Total will be closer to $185M if not more.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, von Kenni said:

I was thinking the same. Could exhibits have data from yesterday on this that would imply better show up with women compared to Friday (or when the original PostTrak data was collected). It's better than Part 1 too and this can also grow the legs.

But ERC already reported a 59% male before Saturday even begin in their Friday estimate post. That is when postrak was reporting a 68% male show up in preview but go down to 65% after Friday number rolled in. Gender split typically won’t move much over the opening weekend and if it did indeed drop to 59%, that would be one of the biggest shift we ever seen and to be frank, I don’t see what element in dune 2 to garner that change in direction. 

11 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

But ERC already reported a 59% male before Saturday even begin in their Friday estimate post. That is when postrak was reporting a 68% male show up in preview but go down to 65% after Friday number rolled in. Gender split typically won’t move much over the opening weekend and if it did indeed drop to 59%, that would be one of the biggest shift we ever seen and to be frank, I don’t see what element in dune 2 to garner that change in direction. 

Do you have at hand Dune 1's number on this?

15 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

Maybe that's data for Friday only since the figure was in the Saturday AM update. I'm not familiar with this. I don't know if there's supposed to be separate figures for OD or OW.

Apparently there are two sampling conducted by cinemascore and postrak. ERC reports the % from cinemascore with male at 59% but postrak has male at 63%. Quite from deadline below: 

“Hope is that more women turn out in the days to come: CinemaScore reports that 41% came out, which is a greater share than what PostTrak shows(37%).”

Postrak male % keep dropping from 68% to 65% and now 63%, suggest the female audience are responding to stellar WOM.

Edited by titanic2187
  • Astonished 1

25 minutes ago, vafrow said:

Next January has a Paddington film and DreamWorks has Dog Man scheduled. Hopefully both keep their dates so families have some decent options over the winter.

I think Sony changed the release date for Paddington…

No? 

1 hour ago, ThomasNicole said:

Yes, surpassed The Favourite that grossed 95M. 

Not to be a party pooper on this one - I adored both films and Lanthimos is one of my favorite directors - but won’t Poot Things do roughly equal to The Favourite once adjusting for inflation? 

1 hour ago, Eric Atreides said:

Not sure why this is. I didn’t see much an evolution or difference between movies. I love both movies, so that’s fine, but it just seems odd to dislike Part 1 and then love Part 2.

From what I gathered, it’s because the first one was very dialogue heavy, and to some people it came across as a bit of a let-down since not a lot of action sequences happened. The Venn diagram of these people and the people who knew absolutely nothing about the plot beforehand is a circle.

FWIW I and two others convinced an entire party of people to see the film in theaters last night 

Edited by TJ327
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Dune should have no problem being #1 until Ghostbusters in three weeks at least.

Oh come on that Mark Wahlberg Dog Movie that was filmed like 3 or 4 years ago is going to explode on the 15th. That was a Argyle like trailer for me. Almost every movie I saw it was like kill me now. 

17 minutes ago, TJ327 said:

Not to be a party pooper on this one - I adored both films and Lanthimos is one of my favorite directors - but won’t Poot Things do roughly equal to The Favourite once adjusting for inflation? 

Yes but nobody really does that otherwise we would just see the numbers for all movies dropping for decades at this point

But yes, similar admissions i suppose 

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Apparently there are two sampling conducted by cinemascore and postrak. ERC reports the % from cinemascore with male at 59% but postrak has male at 63%. Quite from deadline below: 

“Hope is that more women turn out in the days to come: CinemaScore reports that 41% came out, which is a greater share than what PostTrak shows(37%).”

Postrak male % keep dropping from 68% to 65% and now 63%, suggest the female audience are responding to stellar WOM.

Dune 1 demos (Saturday AM PostTrak report):

Demo turnout were Men over 25 (44%), Females over 25 (26%), Men under 25 (17%), and Females under 25 (13%), with guys under 25 giving the pic its best grade of 87% on PostTrak. Older demo here at 21% over 45, but also the moviegoing demo of 18-34 at 55% showing up. Diversity demos were 55% Caucasian, 21% Hispanic and Latino, 9% African American and 9% Asian.

-‐---

I'm surprised that male-female skew was just 61-39. So Dune 2 isn't far off. The diversity demos for Dune 2 were more diverse, Caucasians dropping to 48% and especially African American going up. I don't see why Zendaya, more indepth human relationships, and other prominent women roles in Part 2 and in the promos couldn't increase at least slightly demos for female audiences. That 59% would already be great.

I think Dune Pt 1 will benefit historically from now officially being a "Part One" in the public conscience. It wasn't publicly advertised as one and it may have been somewhat disappointing to viewers who didn't realize it was. It also may have come off as somewhat presumptuous and cynical to those who did know, thinking it was aiming to be another prolonged franchise cash grab since the Lynch adaptation was just one film.

58 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

From @BoxOfficePro

Demographically, Dune: Part Two skewed heavily on the men side with 59% Male and 41% Female, with 64% of the audience over age 25. Here’s the breakdown:

65% Caucasian

14% Hispanic

9% African‐American

8% Asian

4% Native‐American

Just realized these div demos. Seems off. PostTrak had much better and more diverse than with Dune 1. There's something fishy about these two different datasets.

1 hour ago, Eric Atreides said:

Not sure why this is. I didn’t see much an evolution or difference between movies. I love both movies, so that’s fine, but it just seems odd to dislike Part 1 and then love Part 2.

I think in most cases it's people who liked or were intrigued by some stuff in part1 but were overall underwhelmed/bored by the lack of incident or closure finally clicked with part2 after all the legwork was out of the way. But yeah there's some "YUGE jump in quality" reactions  which I also don't get. To each his own, I guess.

To me they seem 2 parts of a whole. If I didn't know they were shot years apart I would assume they were shot back-to-back like lotr and kill bill.

• Like 3