Porthos

Dune 2 Opening Weekend Thread [3/01/24 -3/03/24] [82.5m DOM OW]

4 hours ago, Grand Cine said:

I have one question : When Spring Break will begin because i saw the weekday hold for Batman and Creed 3 and they are good

It varies based on local school district

5 hours ago, leoh said:

Dune hits 28 million domestically this Saturday according to Deadline.

It’ll get an 80M OW, becoming the best OW domestically since Five Nights at Freddy’s (80M) and just behind  Oppenheimer (82.5M).

Theaters recover from a terrible -40% February:

Overall estimated box office weekend for all movies is pegged at $112.2M, which is  just -5% from the same weekend a year ago. 

https://deadline.com/2024/03/box-office-dune-part-two-1235842667/

Would be nice if that overall number goes up with actuals. Need to put a pause on the "downturn" narrative as long as possible

4 hours ago, M37 said:

I never said it couldn’t, but there was a very consistent ratio between Thur and Sat among similar $70M+ openings, and would not set expectations higher than that ratio. And Dune II beat those expectations 

Something was clearly different on Sat: the casuals/walk-ups that were missing  Thur & Fri finally showed up. Don’t know yet if it’s going to be the nature of the draw where Sat (and prob Sun) will be better days relatively through the run, or maybe WOM is kicking in and the baseline is being raised. Have to wait and see 

It made 12 million in previews, so it technically fits in the rule mentioned, doest it? It’s Sunday+Thursday in previews. Then many people who would have showed up on Thursday went to Sunday previews. So I don’t understand while the 2.7x rule would not be accurate in this case. Plus, according to Deadline Dune made 28 million on Saturday (not 29M).

Edited by leoh

25 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

Isn't 80mil a likely lowball? I remember some calculations in here that said that even with 28 mil Sat it would probably go over 80mil. Not by a huge amount, but still notably higher.

Yes - I think it can get 84-85M

11 minutes ago, leoh said:

It made 12 million in previews, so it technically fits in the rule mentioned, doest it? It’s Sunday+Thursday in previews. Then many people who would have showed up on Thursday went to Sunday previews. So I don’t understand while the 2.7x rule would not be accurate in this case. Plus, according to Deadline Dune made 28 million on Saturday (not 29M).

No, because I was using “true” Thursday (no EA, estimated) for comps like Batman and TGM 

3 minutes ago, DAJK said:

So Madame Web outgrossed the opening weekend of Morbius after all. Small victory I guess? :lol: 

Gotta be enough for Sony to make a sequel!