kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | actuals | 30.15M KFP IV | 28.50M DUNE II

Really worried about how this year's box office is looking top heavier than usual even post-COVID. Really need at least one of the adult films to do 50m domestic next month.

1 hour ago, Daxtreme said:

Honestly, it seems like it's the first "bad" day of Dune's run yet with a 39% drop from last Saturday it's still not even bad, it's amazing.

Oh expectations, how you have ruined it for us

I was hoping for a better Saturday number. Closer to $13M than $12M. 

Maybe St. Patrick’s day weekend having an effect? People rather be at parties/bars than the movies? 

Still doing well. 

• Like 2

so Dune should close with a 2.5X- 2.8X domestic multiplier from the first chapter. Should be one of the best increase ever for a sequel right? Of course it helps the first was released in a very "extreme" condition very few movies saw before, but still....

Edited by vale9001

Finally watched Dune in IMAX yesterday and it is certainly a well-crafted movie. Definitely nice to understand the context behind all of the Stilgar memes floating around. Ferguson and Butler were the obvious standouts with Pugh being a rung behind simply due to not having enough to do. Zendaya was fine but she was largely wasted as she really only had one purpose in the film. As for Chalamet, he simply does not have the screen presence necessary for the part he’s playing. He may be the luckiest actor in Hollywood in recent years largely thanks to the high profile roles he has been given. 

• Like 4
  • ...wtf 4

32 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

Mar 15, 2024 1 $8,880,000 +102% -54% 4,067 $2,183   $86,624,000 8
Mar 16, 2024 - $12,770,000 +44% -44% 4,067 $3,140   $99,394,000 9
Mar 17, 2024 - $8,350,000 -35% -47% 4,067 $2,053   $107,744,000 10

Fun fact: this now means Dustin Hoffman is the first actor ever to have at least one movie reach 100M domestically every single decade since the 60s. I wish it wasn’t a garbage human like him, but I guess every big actor from the 60s is trash, so there’s sadly no other option. 😕

15 minutes ago, Squire said:

I was hoping for a better Saturday number. Closer to $13M than $12M. 

Maybe St. Patrick’s day weekend having an effect? People rather be at parties/bars than the movies? 

Still doing well. 

The weather has been decent adding to outdoor festivities but the numbers are still very good so it's whatever to me.  

1 hour ago, JonathanMB said:

Yeah, Dog was basically only the second truly original film to make $60M post-COVID IIRC, its breakout was a very pleasant surprise with how few non-sequels had done well up to that point. People love dogs, and I think there's still an audience for something sentimental and cheesy like this. But yeah Lionsgate didn't try nearly as hard as it could have; the only time I saw that trailer in front of a movie was Napoleon in IMAX and Perfect Days last weekend. 

Funny because this was a Argyle like trailer for me where it got to the point that if I saw  the trailer one more time I wanted to jam a pencil in my eye. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Really worried about how this year's box office is looking top heavier than usual even post-COVID. Really need at least one of the adult films to do 50m domestic next month.

I think Challengers is the best bet out of anything, largely thanks to Zendaya.

Not sure anything else has much potential to reach the mark though. The Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare looks like an obvious bomb in waiting if there ever was one.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Eric Atreides said:

I guess every big actor from the 60s is trash, so there’s sadly no other option. 😕

Not good to speak in absolutes like this imo

• Like 3

That’s a great hold for Imaginary -44% in second weekend. 

Great for Dune and Panda. Not great for Arthur the King, but to be fair I didn’t know about it until a few weeks ago. These dog movies used to do high teens easily though. 

Sad for Love Lies Bleeding. From my twitter timeline you’d think it was a film the whole of America was seeing 😂😂

4 minutes ago, TMP said:

Not good to speak in absolutes like this imo

Yeah I realized after making that post, “oh yeah, Julie Andrews is an unproblematic queen”. Never mind.

• ...wtf 1

19 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Sad for Love Lies Bleeding. From my twitter timeline you’d think it was a film the whole of America was seeing 😂😂

Proof that social media is not the real world. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

Proof that social media is not the real world. 

100%. But I have a carefully selected follow list so I only get to see this good stuff. 

This film is like catnip to the Letterboxd/A24 crowd. They’re loud online but don’t always show up. 

Edited by Krissykins
  • Like 2

americans didn't show up for Poor things with Emma stone, Ruffalo and Dafoe. Golden Lion at Venice and 11 Oscar nominations. What do you expect from an A 24 drama with Kristen Stewart is not an horror movie based on plot twists. 

Edited by vale9001
  • Like 1