kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | actuals | 30.15M KFP IV | 28.50M DUNE II

I could maybe see Hotel Transylvania if Sony were REALLY desperate, but I feel like that would inevitably come off as an Addams Family ripoff in live action and wouldn't draw an audience worth the investment

Edited by AniNate

The Iron Giant would be an obvious one for WB to remake, especially after the character's prominence in Ready Player One, but the fact the original didn't make any money in theaters in its day is probably more than enough to give them pause.

9 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

Yeah. It’s not like there was any other big animated film that summer of 2014, that would steal Dragon 2’s thunder or cut it’s legs off. Even Planes 2 which came in July, wasn’t really a big animated film to begin with. So what other movie prevented HTTYD2 from grossing $200M+ DOM or increasing from the first film’s numbers, despite this being another great animated sequel? Who knows? 🤷🏻‍♀️

Yeah HTTYD2 is one of the more perplexing DOM underperformers ever. The first only opened to 43 m in 2010 and legged it to  like 217 WOM was so strong. I think just like Kung FU Panda 2 lost the adults to Hangover 2 ,  Dragon 2 opened against 22 Jump St  and lost the adults who might have gone. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, filmlover said:

DreamWorks started really losing their power in the early 2010s after ruling most of the aughts, something that would continue through the decade with a mixture of box office flops and cancelled projects that were well into development. Today, under the Universal acquisition, everyone who oversaw the company during its heyday have been largely replaced with Yes Folks.

What'll be even more fascinating to see is how the live-action How to Train Your Dragon does next year, since it'll be a test as to whether there's a marketplace for live-action remakes of non-Disney hits. If that's a hit, it wouldn't be a surprise if Sony immediately commissioned a live-action Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs to be fast-tracked for 2027.

I'm not even sure there is much of a marketplace for live-action remakes of Disney hits anymore.

7 minutes ago, mikeymichael said:

Too cynical to think about a special 4/20 promotion for One Love to get it over the 100M mark?

I don't think that's the audience that's driving it

5 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

I'm not even sure there is much of a marketplace for live-action remakes of Disney hits anymore.

That's mostly because they've burned through the biggest hits (The Big Four have been remade now) and it being too soon to remake Frozen, Tangled, etc. Most likely reason we're getting Moana within the next couple of years is because of The Rock.

I'm still not real sold on Dragon, biggest thing in its favor is Deblois directing it but on the flip side it's disappointing that this is what he's choosing to devote his time to. 

Maybe there's nostalgia for the movie but I don't think the remake fatigue is necessarily Disney exclusive. If there were an animated HTTYD4 that might be a different story.

38 minutes ago, filmlover said:

That's mostly because they've burned through the biggest hits (The Big Four have been remade now) and it being too soon to remake Frozen, Tangled, etc. Most likely reason we're getting Moana within the next couple of years is because of The Rock.

Just you wait for when they make the Black Cauldron remake :ohmyzod:

• Heart 1
  • Astonished 1

I think the biggest reason Kung Fu Panda 2 and How to Train Your Dragon 2 dipped and underperformed domestically was they were much darker than the first ones. They were both strong movies, but not exactly the free wheeling fun of the originals.

I mean, a big part of the story in Kung Fu Panda 2 is the genocide of pandas.

• Like 1

I said then and will say now KFP2s performance at the time was completely shocking. There was really no reason for it not to be huge, and now it’s more true than ever now that we know obviously the target kid audience of those first two look back on it very fondly. 

6 hours ago, Unfitclock said:

I was hoping Arthur the king could surprise this weekend that’s a bummer

Don't worry. This movie still has good chances to become a hit. The audience score is excellent and the verified audience score at RT is also impressive. WOM can do wonders ;).

The shock of Panda 2 still stings - pretty sure in Baumer's Summer Game I had it in the over 300m camp (expected it to be similar to Shrek on a smaller scale.)

But the one thing that most tend to forget about HTTYD versus the sequel is that ticket sales wise it held / maybe even slightly increased. Most tend to forget (especially if Box Office wasn't your thing) that HTTYD was part of the post Avatar 3D trifecta of Alice-Clash-HTTYD where 3D played a big part in the ATP. HTTYD2 didn't have nearly the same % since 3D usage nosedived in the 4.25 years between releases and frankly, they waited a year too long as well.

I am glad to see Panda 4 doing so well though :) was afraid that it would continue the trend from 2 and 3.

Loving the Dune run, hopefully when I finally get a chance to see it I enjoy it more than the first.

• Like 2

I love this fight for 1st place that's going on between Dune and Kung Fu Panda 4

It's so weird to see a movie win #1 on Monday, Wednesday and Thursday but lose the #1 spot on Tuesday. 

Every day is a new thriller. Will Dune win the weekend or will KFP4 extend the lead it has on Friday?

• Like 1