kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | actuals | 80.01M G×K: THE NEW EMPIRE | 11.35M DUNE II

3 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

Stop trying to gaslight people into thinking Ghostbusters 2016 was actually liked.

No. Because it was liked. And those people are now being proven right along.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Knock It Off 5

2 hours ago, dallas said:

Why do movies do so well on Christmas but not Easter?

Far more people are off for Christmas than they are for Easter in US/CAN. Far more people are off the day after Christmas than are off the day after Easter in US/CAN. Easter is kinda falling down the pole as to how many people are given holiday and/or celebrate the holiday. 

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Cutting out a lot of the above, but... the main problem with the thesis here is... "they".

Who are the "they"?  Paul Feig, who wanted to make GB2016?  The suits who greenlit it?  Producers along the line?  

Like the central problem to all of this is, the folks who were most integral in the success of the OG GB didn't really want to make a third GB/agree how to make it.  And then the person who did want to make a new one and convinced Sony to shell out the money for it wasn't interested in the above scenario.

In the end, nearly all of the "problems" with the GB franchise can be laid at the feet of the folks involved in the first not really wanting to do more. That really is a near unsurmountable problem. The rest of the problems can be laid at the feet of folks who just can not let Culture War Catnip go by untouched. 

(I'd note that it's been nearly EIGHT YEARS since GB2016 and folks are still fighting over it, but then again SW fandom is still feuding about the special editions/prequels so just this is kinda nothing in the grand scheme of things)

You're begging me to post the "Tell 'im Wash" clip, aren't you? 😉 

I mean, hell, you're not even asking for a "good" script but a "great" one.  

I get what you're saying, but at the same time projects tend to wind up in development hell for a reason and it's far easier said than done to escape it.  Barbie and Andor have proven you can escape development hell.  A whole long list of projects also show that time is only one part of the equation.  Plus it's not exactly like GBFE (or GBA) could count on 25 years worth of tinkered scripts.  

Fair points and I agree on the development hell parts too and the OG makers being the reason that the GB 3 wasn't ever made. Yeah, I made it sound easy but regardless of reasons why GB has gone as it has I wanted to bring my own perspective as a fan of the original.

They was referring to the whole bunch of studio execs, original filmmakers, and new ones but that wasn't so much the point what I made but how I felt that the IP could have gone and be in a better position right now. We can always fall back how it's all arbitraty to get anything good through the production hell but can also think how things could have gone. A great script with all that time is a fair ask too or not to do it at all. Okay l, studios want to just do with what they have to milk it, but that's not a reason to just let it be and not express what is inherently wrong with G2016, GBA, and GBFE (and to certain extent GB2).

3 hours ago, Kon said:

So, you were trying to be sarcastic with your question.

Still, I don't think GB 2016 was really popular between audience. After all, if the hate for GB 2016 was just online, I'm pretty sure we would have a sequel for that (but we didn't).

I agree that people believing the original characters were the key for success were wrong, but GB 2016 wasn't a popular direction either.

I’d be interested to see if a sequel to Ghostbusters 2016 would’ve make more than this one. after 8 years of nostalgia. I certainly haven’t gone to see this or the last one; purely because they’re not linked to the 2016 film. 

2 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

Actually a movie having less people watching in post-covid era compared to 2016-19 is a very low bar to clear for “celebration”. Pretty much every follow-ups to the movies released in 2016-19 ended up having less attendance. And isn’t GBA has significant less budget compared to GB 2016 too? Must be a success for Sony to greenlit another sequel. 

Wasn’t talking about budget, clearly said “number of people”. Which for this is glaringly less, especially after 8 years of inflation and PLF’s. 

25 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

Stop trying to gaslight people into thinking Ghostbusters 2016 was actually liked.

Well they’ve gone in a different direction and the films have consistently decreased, so you might have a point lol. 

35 minutes ago, Porthos said:

(I'd note that it's been nearly EIGHT YEARS since GB2016 and folks are still fighting over it, but then again SW fandom is still feuding about the special editions/prequels so just this is kinda nothing in the grand scheme of things)

Y'all have probably got at least a couple of more years of this to look forward to.

Hope you enjoy it! 👍

• Haha 1

Moderation

Not the Ghostbusters thread. We don’t need to reheat these tired arguments yet again, especially when things are already sparking unnecessary flame wars.

• Like 1
  • Heart 1

6 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

I seriously cannot understand what is there to worship for 2016 version Ghostbuster. They are equally blah and meh like GB:A and I don't even bother watching GB: FE. 

I do love Chris Hemsworth in it, he's never been more charming than in that movie in my opinion.

1 hour ago, Eric Atreides said:

Moderation

Not the Ghostbusters thread. We don’t need to reheat these tired arguments yet again, especially when things are already sparking unnecessary flame wars.

Only saw this now, so edited my post. My bad.

Edited by Arlborn

who has seen Adam Wingard's You're Next and The Guest? These movies are the tits and it makes it disappointing that his foray into franchise filmmaking have been mediocre to poor without any of the style these earlier films showed.

MV5BMTEzMjExMDYxODdeQTJeQWpwZ15BbWU3MDMy

MV5BMTQ3NDE4MzQyN15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNTky

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Far more people are off for Christmas than they are for Easter in US/CAN. Far more people are off the day after Christmas than are off the day after Easter in US/CAN. Easter is kinda falling down the pole as to how many people are given holiday and/or celebrate the holiday. 

All true.  My kid in college not only didn't have days off, but had lab Friday night and an exam and paper due Monday morning - aka, no break at all.  My spouse got and took no days off.  

Plus, Easter is about Church, egg hunts, and a nice meal.  Outdoors is a thing b/c you celebrate new life.  It's all about spring.  

Christmas is cold.  Outdoor entertainment is pretty limited.  Movies are about the one thing all ages can do.  And there's 2 weeks where everyone K-16 are off, and most of the workforce takes off a full week or more, too.

Edited by TwoMisfits

6 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Nah I don’t buy this at all. Sorry! 

The controversy/outrage was purely online and, as shown in the legs, wasn’t reflected in any sort of ongoing interest. 

I just find it funny, all that moaning for months and months on end, and then less people went to the “ones they wanted” 🤣🤣

It is because they were woman. That is the reason, and you know it.