kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | estimates | 15.01M CHALLENGERS | 7.73M UNSUNG HERO | 7.22M GODZILLA×KONG: TNE

8 hours ago, AJG said:

This film cost $55m. The last one cost $20m. Both were distributed by the fifth largest company in America. The guy gets big budgets to make mainstream movies for mainstream audiences and the audience hasn’t bit.

7 hours ago, AJG said:

Every movie produced by these corporations are mainstream movies. The subject matter doesn’t matter.

We used to have art-houses that played actual niche movies but then they retrofitted them into regular cinemas with small screens and nice seats.

Nonsense. You’re associating mainstream with budget when it’s to do with subject matter. 

Just now, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

B+ is fairly low considering how great Challengers is. I really think franchise over-saturation has dulled people’s palettes. 

it's good, i was expecting a B at best. Most people don't really care about the technical aspects and things like that, most people judge a movie for the story and how the story involves them. I can see why some people are not really involved by the story and the characters are not very likable. 

as i said yesterday with these numbers people are kinda really interested to the movie are going to watch it. If they would have been more successfull at involving a wider and more generic audience it would have risk imo a B- cinemascore. 

12 hours ago, filmlover said:

In other news, major Sony release date changes:

Kraven the Hunter: from 8/30/24 to 12/13/24

The Karate Kid legacy reboot: from 12/13/24 to 5/30/25

'Kraven the Hunter' Pushed to December Release by Sony (variety.com)

Kraven now hitting screens over 14 months after losing the original October 2023 date that marketing money had already been spent on. What a joke.

Definitely deciding they want the Aquaman 2 corridor...not sure it's as empty in 2024, but I guess we'll see if other movies slip out of December...

I saw The Mummy on the big screen for the first time and it was glorious to behold. 

I'm seeing Speed on the big screen for the first time today. 

Then Alien. 

You can still catch good movies in theatres. They're just from the last century! 

(that said I did like Challengers despite Zendaya struggling to play the older part of her role) 

24 minutes ago, Flopped said:

Is this really "beating" projections? I get that she looks pretty and "serves" in a dress but these box office analysts and film accounts should try to be a little less biased. FilmUpdates obnoxiously spammed every dress she wore. 

filmupdates clearly gets money to promote movies. It was clear with Barbie, this and some other in the last year or so. 

The expectation for every movies is to make money and this will hardly be a success only by the theaters. Saying that (the movie is clearly not 150M at the box office stuff) the only projection we got was 15M some day ago and it's on pair with it, it's not beating anything. 

Edited by vale9001

If GxK can pull off like 6-7m this weekend it should have enough juice to push to 200m. No major blockbusters since then are helping its late legs(same for KP). Just get past 180m and see what happens after that. 

Edited by Cookson
  • Like 1