kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | actuals | 27.75M THE FALL GUY | 8.72M SW: EP I - TPM | 7.59M CHALLENGERS | 6.50M TAROT

9 minutes ago, excel1 said:

Get Z loves off ball creativity and this looked so blah. TRAP will be the summers big oqerperformer if it is any good 

Can’t believe your year long gambit on Hartnett keeps on paying dividends 

• Like 2

Phantom Menace looking to do solid numbers overall considering this re-release was barely advertised (unlike the 3D one in 2012). Today's going to be a good day as expected with the May the 4th gimmick.

We needed a big movie on the weekend after Civil War. The Fall Guy should've opened on the Kung Fu Panda weekend other or the weekend after with Arthur the King or on the 1st weekend of April instead of Monkey Man. We'll never know now but I think it clears 30M on any of those dates which is what these mid sized movies open too, be it 80M or 180M Budget. You can give 400M budget to this movie. It's a movie that opens on the 30s. 

Honestly 2.55m for Tarot isn't a disaster considering those reviews. And obv it cost way more than 8m (all you need to do to know that is watch the movie and not be really clueless) but still could have been worse 

Posted (edited)

Most of all for an original event film, at $130M-$150M+, this movie is too damn expensive. 

“They should have spent like Tom Rothman: Make it for $80M. Why is Universal spending the extra money? Instead of spending $220M-$230M between production and marketing costs, they could have pulled this off for $160M-$180M,” added the source.

https://deadline.com/2024/05/box-office-the-fall-guy-ryan-gosling-1235903586/

Edited by John Marston

Posted (edited)

Also. I have some questions about this "Summer Season Start" on the 1st week of May.

Why is this? Who says it? What it means? 

Is it Hollywood? The Business?

I don't think 1st weekend of May means anything to audiences. It's not their summer start. It just happens that there's always a big Marvel movie opening this week and that's why audiences rushed out. It's only a big weekend historically because there's a true event movie opening every year. 

It doesn't mean anything for audiences regarding a Summer Season start. I think the Summer Season start for audiences is the Memorial Day Weekend or at best the weekend before.

This fictional 1st weekend of May as a big weekend for audiences doesn't exist. It's just a Hollywood insider thing so you're just not going to force a movie like The Fall Guy into starting a early summer season being another action movie. It's just a mid sized movie (with a overblown budget) coming out in a calendar lacking big movies and no momentum.

Edited by justnumbers
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, justnumbers said:

Also. I have some questions about this "Summer Season Start" on the 1st week of May.

It's Hollywood? The Business?

I don't think 1st weekend of May means anything to audiences. It's not their summer start. It's just happens that there's always a big Marvel movie opening this week and that's why audiences rushed out. It's only a big weekend because there's a true event movie opening every year. 

It doesn't mean anything for audiences regarding a Summer Season start. I think the Summer Season start for audiences is the Memorial Day Weekend or at best the weekend before.

This fictional 1st weekend of May as a big weekend for audiences doesn't exist. It's just a Hollywood insider thing so you're just not going to force a movie like The Fall Guy into starting a early summer season being another action movie. It's just a mid sized movie (with a overblown budget) coming out in a calendar lacking big movies and no momentum.

It's the start of when some college students are in exam period and finished.

My daughter will be done Monday, but many kids in her school were finished all their finals Friday.

So, that's kinda why "summer start" - you'll start seeing weekdays do better all through this month til June and July go bonkers and then August reverses the trend slowly...

• Like 1

The BO is terrible. The end. What more is there to say at this point. As for the The Fall Guy. It did not connect for whatever reason. People have been giving their reasons and will keep giving their reasons. Too inside Hollywood, Gosling and Blunt don't open movies, it looked like a Netflix movie despite the reviews being much better than any of those pump and dump mockbusters they churn out. Could  go on and on.  To try and be on the positive side,  The A- CS means the people seeing it are enjoying it. So legs might be good. It should be able to counter program Apes next weekend. I mean if Anyone But You can can open up to a 6 million weekend and leg it to 88. That'a a IM of 14. This should be able to have strong legs. But who knows. We are in weird times.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, justnumbers said:

Is it Hollywood? The Business?

I don't think 1st weekend of May means anything to audiences. It's not their summer start. It just happens that there's always a big Marvel movie opening this week and that's why audiences rushed out. It's only a big weekend historically because there's a true event movie opening every year. 

This is what AI has to say:

Historical Precedence: For decades, Hollywood has designated the first weekend in May as the launch pad for the season’s first potential blockbuster. This tradition has been established to capitalize on the anticipation for summer entertainment.

Financial Strategy: Releasing big-budget films in May allows studios to take advantage of the long Memorial Day weekend, which marks the unofficial start of summer for many. This period is often associated with increased leisure time and higher audience turnout.

Extended Playtime: Starting the season in May gives movies a longer run time in theaters throughout the summer, maximizing their earning potential before the fall when the frequency of movie-going typically decreases.

School Vacations: The timing coincides with school vacations, making it an ideal period for family outings and for young audiences to frequent cinemas.

Weather: The warmer weather encourages people to seek indoor activities like going to the movies, especially in air-conditioned theaters, to escape the heat.

Industry Trends: Over time, some studios have started releasing their big titles even earlier, at the end of April, to get a jump on the competition and extend the profitable summer season.