kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | actuals | 58.40M KINGDOM OF THE PLANET OF THE APES | 13.70M THE FALL GUY | 4.38M CHALLENGERS | TAROT

26 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

But you guys told me the bad Cinemascore would kill Apes!

It still could. Sunday was Mother's Day, so it was always going to hold very well then no matter what. Next weekend will tell us the big picture.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

It still could. Sunday was Mother's Day, so it was always going to hold very well then no matter what. Next weekend will tell us the big picture.

With this sunday drop its obviously going to drop even bigger next weekend. 
My guess is around 60%

Empire also reporting that The Fall Guy increased on Sunday and has avoided the 50% weekend drop. 

Lets not do the Saltburn thing again. We had that discussion in the Challengers weekend thread. We know it was a cultural phenomenon and yet some still disagree. 

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, fmpro said:

With this sunday drop its obviously going to drop even bigger next weekend. 
My guess is around 60%

It's also losing some premium screens, correct?

Posted (edited)

@Avatree @Potiki

re: Saltburn on Amazon Prime.

As the resident Streamer Tracker around here, did some looking into this and almost came to one conclusion before I went back and double checked something as it didn't quite make sense.

The reason Saltburn didn't pop up in the Nielsen charts immediately at release is very likely because of an oopise-doodle between Amazon and Nielsen:

GEKOMtda8AAyOVv?format=png&name=small

"reporting for any title added to the service between Dec 20th and Jan 16 is delayed".  Don't know/recall how/when/if it was ever retroactively fixed/reported.  Taken from this post in the Steaming Tracking thread.

As it is, there is this story from Deadline about Saltburn getting all sorts of viral hits/watches on secondary platforms, but its awfully light on hard data details about the actual numbers on Amazon.

It also did indeed start appearing on TVGR's Top Ten by service lists on the week of Jan 1 - Jan 7, though by then it had petered out quite a bit.  

Probably could do some more trawling through the net, but it does appear that, to paraphrase TV Grim Reaper, Nielsen did indeed strike again.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

To IF? I'm not feeling much interest for that movie. Predicting mostly empty theater showings for IF and theaters will regret giving IMAX to it, but if sales are really bad Apes could keep some PLF sceeens. 

I don't recall Dune being hurt too much losing IMAX to Civil War.

2 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

To IF? I'm not feeling much interest for that movie. Predicting mostly empty theater showings for IF and theaters will regret giving IMAX to it, but if sales are really bad Apes could keep some PLF sceeens. 

I don't recall Dune being hurt too much losing IMAX to Civil War.

That's what I've read. IF might be good, but it doesn't scream like it's an IMAX event kind of movie.

18 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

Some yes. But i dont expect that to impact much compared to WOM and bloaded OW

• Like 1

WOM is gonna be fine, it's a reverse Jurassic World Dominion situation where it got A- CS somehow, but in reality was universally hated movie outside 5 year olds. In this case it clearly has better reception than CS suggests.

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

@Avatree @Potiki

re: Saltburn on Amazon Prime.

As the resident Streamer Tracker around here, did some looking into this and almost came to one conclusion before I went back and double checked something as it didn't quite make sense.

The reason Saltburn didn't pop up in the Nielsen charts immediately at release is very likely because of an oopise-doodle between Amazon and Nielsen:

GEKOMtda8AAyOVv?format=png&name=small

"reporting for any title added to the service between Dec 20th and Jan 16 is delayed".  Don't know/recall how/when/if it was ever retroactively fixed/reported.  Taken from this post in the Steaming Tracking thread.

As it is, there is this story from Deadline about Saltburn getting all sorts of viral hits/watches on secondary platforms, but its awfully light on hard data details about the actual numbers on Amazon.

It also did indeed start appearing on TVGR's Top Ten by service lists on the week of Jan 1 - Jan 7, though by then it had petered out quite a bit.  

Probably could do some more trawling through the net, but it does appear that, to paraphrase TV Grim Reaper, Nielsen did indeed strike again.

Damn that sucks, the Deadline top 10 thing wasn't that notable to me as outside Borat 2, Coming 2 America, Tomorrow War and Hotel Transylvania 4 (plus maybe, and a big maybe, Manchester by the Sea) can't remember any other big titles although since then they have had Roadhouse as another big one.

I would have loved Nielsen to have given insight into how high up on that Top 10 it was, I might try to look into it also. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Potiki said:

Damn that sucks, the Deadline top 10 thing wasn't that notable to me as outside Borat 2, Coming 2 America, Tomorrow War and Hotel Transylvania 4 (plus maybe, and a big maybe, Manchester by the Sea) can't remember any other big titles although since then they have had Roadhouse as another big one.

I would have loved Nielsen to have given insight into how high up on that Top 10 it was, I might try to look into it also. 

All else comes to fail, could always ask TVGR over on Twitter if Nielsen ever updated its lists anywhere.  Might be a longshot for him to care so many months down the road.  Or perhaps ESG?  Probably be hard to find it elsewhere unless ESG mentioned it in their substack (which I keep forgetting exists).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mojoguy said:

Jesus, are you guys still talking about Saltburn?

This feels like more discussion than it got on opening weekend!

I'm talking about Nielsen, mostly. 😛  Bad habit of mine, admittedly. 😉 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Porthos said:

All else comes to fail, could always ask TVGR over on Twitter if Nielsen ever updated its lists anywhere.  Might be a longshot for him to care so many months down the road.  Or perhaps ESG?  Probably be hard to find it elsewhere unless ESG mentioned it in their substack (which I keep forgetting exists).

I don't have Twitter and shan't be getting it considering last I checked it cost money to make an an account in NZ LOL, but using Nitter seems like TVGR is unlikely to get weeks 1 and 2  :(

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Potiki said:

I don't have Twitter and shan't be getting it considering last I checked it cost money to make an an account in NZ LOL, but using Nitter seems like TVGR is unlikely to get weeks 1 and 2  :(

IXNAY ONAY ISCUSSINGDAY ITTERNAY INAY UBLICPAY!!!!!  :rant: 

Spoiler

j/k 😛

Spoiler

But probably something that really ought to be kept on the downlow as much as possible lest it go under again. 😉

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Empire also reporting that The Fall Guy increased on Sunday and has avoided the 50% weekend drop. 

Let’s not do the Saltburn thing again. We had that discussion in the Challengers weekend thread. We know it was a cultural phenomenon and yet some still disagree. 

more like a small cult film. Which is fine. No where close to cultural phenomenon

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kayumanggi said:

IF is taking over a lot of those screens but also looks like there will be splitting with Apes at some.

• Like 1