AniNate

Coco | Pixar / Lee Unkrich | Now playing | #1 all-time in Mexico

Any Pixar movie that's half decent and not a sequel gets the award. Extend that to Disney movies that get nominated in BAP category as a whole.

The soundtrack is out and Remember Me isn't even two minutes long...is it eligible for Best Song being that short?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Morieris said:

Any Pixar movie that's half decent and not a sequel gets the award. Extend that to Disney movies that get nominated in BAP category as a whole.

The soundtrack is out and Remember Me isn't even two minutes long...is it eligible for Best Song being that short?

It just says, “To be eligible for a nomination (for Best Original Song), a song must be written specifically for the movie in question.”

6 hours ago, cannastop said:

Right now I think that Coco will follow the path of Moana, except only do 60% of the gross.

I doubt it.  The Latino/Hispanic population is approx 17-18% of the U.S. pop and make up about 25% of all ticket buyers. In terms of representation in film they are also very under served.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 8

I don't think Latinos of every ethnicity will be excited about this.

It has a strong focus on Mexican culture specifically.

And Latinos can be competitive when it comes to nationality.

Either way Hollywood will be watching this box office run closely to see the hidden potential of the Latino market.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

I don't think Latinos of every ethnicity will be excited about this.

It has a strong focus on Mexican culture specifically.

And Latinos can be competitive when it comes to nationality.

Either way Hollywood will be watching this box office run closely to see the hidden potential of the Latino market.

That might be though Dead Of The Dead spans beyond Mexican culture and is celebrated in some form or derivation in I think every Spanish speaking L.A. country.   Regardless, Mexican Americans are almost 2/3s of the Hispanic population in the U.S.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 2

Lee Unkrich and Joss Whedon are mexican BO rulers

# Film Year Distributor Lifetime Gross
1 Marvel's The Avengers 2012 BuenaVista $827,122,714
2 Coco 2017 BuenaVista $791,673,000
3 Avengers: Age of Ultron 2015 BuenaVista $784,083,100
4 Furious 7 2015 UPI $779,293,817
5 Toy Story 3 2010 BuenaVista $777,482,842
  • Like 2
  • Astonished 1

28 minutes ago, narniadis said:

Amazing gross in Mexico - although not really surprising. I do think it's target audience is not being appreciated enough in the states though - hence the under predictions. 

Give Pixar credit; despite all the trademark controversies, "Book of Life ripoff" and "cultural appropriation" accusations they still managed to make a movie that has been fully embraced in the culture it depicts. That was certainly no guarantee.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tribefan695 said:

"Book of Life ripoff" and "cultural appropriation" accusations they still managed to make a movie that has been fully embraced in the culture it depicts.

This.

Coco did on its OD what Book of Life did on its OW and after a week surpassed its entire run, there's something special about Coco beyond the level of production or the marketing (which if i'm honest, for Coco was weak until barely a couple of weeks before its release) and is that has lot more heart and accuracy than Book of Life, with the last one people didn't connect cause it was a weird spanish-mexican mix but with Coco most of people can reflect something about their childhood with Miguel's life, or grandma with our grandmom's. So yeah, was a rough proof and it succeded great.

• Like 1