AniNate

Coco | Pixar / Lee Unkrich | Now playing | #1 all-time in Mexico

10 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I do think if every studio started to release 2-3 films a year, the market is going to oversaturated and there is a dilution of quality. Pixar and WDAS not so much but it's evident with the likes of SPA.

It's gonna be crazy in the future. Regardless of quality, 20+ animated films being released a year is mad. Some films are going to do poorly because of the competition. We've come a long way from the early years of Pixar and Dreamworks. 

7 minutes ago, YourMother said:

2020:

SPA: 4 films

Universal: 4 films 

Fox: 3 films

Paramount: 2 films

Disney: 3 films

WB: 1 film 

That is for major animation.

To me, that's just too much, it should be 1-2 films a year from each studio and that's it. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

It's gonna be crazy in the future. Regardless of quality, 20+ animated films being released a year is mad. Some films are going to do poorly because of the competition. We've come a long way from the early years of Pixar and Dreamworks. 

I wouldn't be surprised if they are casualties, SPA looks vulnerable IMO and perhaps Paramount. 

2 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I wouldn't be surprised if they are casualties, SPA looks vulnerable IMO and perhaps Paramount. 

SPA is DOA if they keep making Emoji movie quality films. Paramount is hard to say, since they haven't released any animated films aside from Spongebob and Monster Trucks, which has a hybrid and tanked, and Sherlock Gnomes doesn't exactly sound promising either. I'd give the animated division a few years at least.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

To me, that's just too much, it should be 1-2 films a year from each studio and that's it. 

It's too many but how mnay depends on the studio

Disney had Pixar and WDAS - 1 a year would be horrible - 2 is barely enough - this year w/o a WDAS was disappointing even though we got 2 last year

Universal also has Dreamworks &Illumination - so 2 would be a minimum for them

Whereas with SPA, Paramount or Fox - one might be more than enough...

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Fancyarcher said:

SPA is DOA if they keep making Emoji movie quality films. Paramount is hard to say, since they haven't released any animated films aside from Spongebob and Monster Trucks, which has a hybrid and tanked, and Sherlock Gnomes doesn't exactly sound promising either. I'd give the animated division a few years at least.

The only studios which are safe are Disney, Universal and Fox. WAG took a knock with Ninjago but I think they can rebound if Smallfoot and Lego 2 is good not to mention Scooby in 2020.

• Like 3

Sony has franchises like HT and Spider-Man so they’ll survive and their upcoming slate for 2020 has talent and seem to be taking a change. Paramount is done. WAG is in trouble. Fox is so so and Disney and Universal will definitely survive.

• Like 1

Just now, YourMother said:

Sony has franchises like HT and Spider-Man so they’ll survive and their upcoming slate for 2020 has talent and seem to be taking a change. Paramount is done. WAG is in trouble. Fox is so so and Disney and Universal will definitely survive.

We can't say WAG is in trouble just because Ninjago didn't do well, they still have 4 films in the next three years which might change their fortunes. I know you're not confident on Smallfoot but it sounds promising and Scooby is well Scooby Doo 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

We can't say WAG is in trouble just because Ninjago didn't do well, they still have 4 films in the next three years which might change their fortunes. I know you're not confident on Smallfoot but it sounds promising and Scooby is well Scooby Doo 

I think TTG will do Angry Birds numbers. Smallfoot has too much competition to do $100M and Warner Animation and September don’t mix. I’m nervous about Lego 2 and the LCU, looking at the spinoffs, Scooby should do good but being so close to GVK scares me.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

The only studios which are safe are Disney, Universal and Fox. WAG took a knock with Ninjago but I think they can rebound if Smallfoot and Lego 2 is good not to mention Scooby in 2020.

Scooby should do okay. Smallfoot I'm a bit iffy on though. I'd like to see a trailer before making judgment, and it'll be a while before one is released. 

Another day, another record on mexican BO

In admissions is No. 1 ever

# Film Year Distributor Admissions
1 Coco 2017 BuenaVista 16,430,000
2 Minions 2015 UPI 16,145,698
3 Marvel's The Avengers 2012 BuenaVista 15,943,208
4 Avengers: Age of Ultron 2015 BuenaVista 15,735,532
5 Furious 7 2015 UPI 15,534,041
6 No se Aceptan Devoluciones (Instructions not Included) 2013 Videocine 15,199,633
7 Toy Story 3 2010 BuenaVista 14,826,134
8 Captain America: Civil War 2016 BuenaVista 14,523,084
9 Fate of the Furious 2017 UPI 14,130,000
10 Despicable Me 3 2017 UPI 13,970,000
  • Like 12
  • Astonished 1

1 hour ago, Carlangonz said:

Another day, another record on mexican BO

In admissions is No. 1 ever

# Film Year Distributor Admissions
1 Coco 2017 BuenaVista 16,430,000
2 Minions 2015 UPI 16,145,698
3 Marvel's The Avengers 2012 BuenaVista 15,943,208
4 Avengers: Age of Ultron 2015 BuenaVista 15,735,532
5 Furious 7 2015 UPI 15,534,041
6 No se Aceptan Devoluciones (Instructions not Included) 2013 Videocine 15,199,633
7 Toy Story 3 2010 BuenaVista 14,826,134
8 Captain America: Civil War 2016 BuenaVista 14,523,084
9 Fate of the Furious 2017 UPI 14,130,000
10 Despicable Me 3 2017 UPI 13,970,000

already at 800M pesos?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Carlangonz said:

Not yet, currently at $790M.

Wow! Disney is killing it in Mexico these weeks. 

Coco is a brutal success, reaching #1 all time in admissions sold (16.430.000), #2 all time in mexican gross (pesos) with 792M pesos ($41,5M) in 17 days, only 35M pesos behind The Avengers 827M pesos. At this box-office-speed, Coco might reach the astounding figure of 1000M pesos ($52,5M) for the first time in Mexican history.

But not only Coco is doing great business. Thor's been two weeks in #2 and is actually at 320M pesos ($17M) and 6 million tickets.

A source told me that the censors in SARFT of China was so impressed and touched by this movie that they immediately give it a go(have  Chinese release date).

This is very surprisng since no movie that has ghost/afterlife world themes can pass censorship.

Maybe this movie can be cup of tea of Chinese GA unlike other Pixar works.

• Like 14
  • Astonished 1

Friend from Disney China tole me it's a miracle for them that Coco can be scheduled to debut in this year(Nov.24). It a story about ghosts and they were ready to be told the movie is dead in China.

I heard this is because the leadership of Film Bureau was impressed by Coco...Then they just allowed the picture to show in this year...

• Like 6