AniNate

Coco | Pixar / Lee Unkrich | Now playing | #1 all-time in Mexico

36 minutes ago, Olive Skywalker said:

A source told me that the censors in SARFT of China was so impressed and touched by this movie that they immediately give it a go(have  Chinese release date).

This is very surprisng since no movie that has ghost/afterlife world themes can pass censorship.

Maybe this movie can be cup of tea of Chinese GA unlike other Pixar works.

The family topic is something that definitely can resonate. The colorful elements also can help. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Olive Skywalker said:

A source told me that the censors in SARFT of China was so impressed and touched by this movie that they immediately give it a go(have  Chinese release date).

This is very surprisng since no movie that has ghost/afterlife world themes can pass censorship.

Maybe this movie can be cup of tea of Chinese GA unlike other Pixar works.

2 hours ago, Gavin Feng said:

Friend from Disney China tole me it's a miracle for them that Coco can be scheduled to debut in this year(Nov.24). It a story about ghosts and they were ready to be told the movie is dead in China.

I heard this is because the leadership of Film Bureau was impressed by Coco...Then they just allowed the picture to show in this year...

This is amazing. I sure hope it does well in China.

At least well enough for another part of the government to denounce its corrupting influence on the Chinese populace.

Edited by cannastop
  • Like 3

39 minutes ago, cannastop said:

BTW, Moana's previews were $2.6m, so that's the mark for Coco to beat.

I wonder if Coco will be more front-loaded or back-loaded than Moana (which had more hype, to be fair) was...

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guesstimate (and likely lowball) $2M for previews and assuming this goes the:

TGD route - $60M 3-day, $85.4M 5-day

Moana route - $43.5M 3-day, $63.2M 5-day

Averaging these out nets a $51.8M 3-day and a $74.3M 5-day. If we just directly averaged out the OWs for Moana and TGD we'd get a $47.8M 3-day and a $68.8M 5-day. Further averaging of these averages nets a $49.8M 3-day and a $71.6M 5-day.

I'm sure this is a terrible method to predict the box office, but averaging out Frozen and Tangled's OWs would net a fairly accurate OW prediction for Moana (Frozen-Tangled Average: $58.1/$81.1, Actuals: $56.6M/$82.1M).

Edited by PNF2187
  • Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

On ‎11‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 8:55 PM, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Well the race for Best Animated Feature is done and dusted.

Particularly given it's not been a good year quality wise for animation in general.

DM3 made a lot of money, but did not exactly set the world on fire as far as quality goes.

And Fredinand ,which opens in December, seems to be the only thing that might give it some competition if it turns out to be good.

Edited by dudalb

23 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Particularly given it's not been a good year quality wise for animation in general.

DM3 made a lot of money, but did not exactly set the world on fire as far as quality goes.

And Fredinand ,which opens in December, seems to be the only thing that might give it some competition if it turns out to be good.

Have you seen the trailers for Ferdinand?

25 minutes ago, dudalb said:

It’s like 2010 and 2011. 2010 like 2016 was a big year for animation and 2011 crashed due to that like 2017.

• Like 2

I attended an advanced screening last night here in the Philippines and I LOVE this movie. Funny,tender and heartwarming. Yes the narrative is a little conventional for a Pixar original but it's very well0produced and focused. But most of all the movie's strength is that it has a BIG heart! The twist is something one could easily figure out midway but still it does not take away from the reveal and the two key scenes made me sob both involving the song REMEMBER ME! 

Mexico's culture was wonderfully represented here, vivid and colorful. The Philippines actually share some similar culture with Mexico actually especially the family side so we could relate it to as well

Overall, lovely film and a wonderful addition to Pixar's filmography

I've seen THE BOOK OF LIFE as well. I also love it but COCO is very different! The only similarity is the setting up the story on the holiday but they have different focus, style and narrative

(I didn't mind OLAF'S FROZEN ADVENTURE because it was so festive and sets up the holiday mood very well and if it helps Coco's box office then it's good! but the movie is a crowdpleaser)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, forg said:

I attended an advanced screening last night here in the Philippines and I LOVE this movie. Funny,tender and heartwarming. Yes the narrative is a little conventional for a Pixar original but it's very well0produced and focused. But most of all the movie's strength is that it has a BIG heart! The twist is something one could easily figure out midway but still it does not take away from the reveal and the two key scenes made me sob both involving the song REMEMBER ME! 

Mexico's culture was wonderfully represented here, vivid and colorful. The Philippines actually share some similar culture with Mexico actually especially the family side so we could relate it to as well

Overall, lovely film and a wonderful addition to Pixar's filmography

I've seen THE BOOK OF LIFE as well. I also love it but COCO is very different! The only similarity is the setting up the story on the holiday but they have different focus, style and narrative

(I didn't mind OLAF'S FROZEN ADVENTURE because it was so festive and sets up the holiday mood very well and if it helps Coco's box office then it's good! but the movie is a crowdpleaser)

They have in common their past being spanish colonies till 19th century. And Dia de los Muertos is a christian tradition that somehow has become very popular in its mexican expression, but it's celebrated in christianity all around the globe.

That's why i keep insisting in saying that Coco will have a very good box office life. Some see Coco as a latin movie that will not interest european or northamerican or asian people. But the point is that it will interest to christians, besides anyone interested in Pixar + anyone interested in Disney + anyone interested in good animation quality movies ... I think it's gonna have a very long and good run. 

46 minutes ago, meriodejaneiro said:

They have in common their past being spanish colonies till 19th century. And Dia de los Muertos is a christian tradition that somehow has become very popular in its mexican expression, but it's celebrated in christianity all around the globe.

That's why i keep insisting in saying that Coco will have a very good box office life. Some see Coco as a latin movie that will not interest european or northamerican or asian people. But the point is that it will interest to christians, besides anyone interested in Pixar + anyone interested in Disney + anyone interested in good animation quality movies ... I think it's gonna have a very long and good run. 

Dia de los Muertos is not a Christian event.  It is the result of Catholicism trying to overwrite native Central American culture and the way that Mexicans adapted SOME of the aspects to themselves rather than simply taking them as the Spanish intended them to.  In fact most Christians (and Catholics) in America who aren't of Mexican/Latino origin don't regard Dia de los Muertos fondly or even think about it at all.

Edited by Sal
  • Like 1

We do commemorate our departed ones during Nov. 1 and 2 here in the Philippines and cemeteries are packed on those days where it's common for families to spend overnight and have some sort of picnic there as well. It's quite similar to Dia de Muertas although it's not as festive. 

Anyway, I do think the movie would resonate to a broad audience mostly because of the strong family ties (even beyond the grave) that the movie highlights

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, forg said:

Anyway, I do think the movie would resonate to a broad audience mostly because of the strong family ties (even beyond the grave) that the movie highlights

This.

That's why chinese censor didn't had any issue on give it a release date.

• Like 2