AniNate

Coco | Pixar / Lee Unkrich | Now playing | #1 all-time in Mexico

1 minute ago, Squadron Leader Tele said:

The creative team is probably fine for the near term, but this could definitely have ramifications on the long-term plans for WDA and Pixar.

It seemed like both studios were in need of some new leadership anyway with their reliance on sequels and Gigantic getting cancelled. In hindsight I... can see how this might have happened. More devastating would've been someone like Bird or Stanton.

I'm more surprised that this came out hours before their latest movie comes out in its home country.

"Luckily" the Academy loves "separating the art from the artist" so this still has Best Animated Feature in the bag.

I'm talking about it's impact on the movie so it's okay being here and not in the dedicated SH/A topic, right?

4 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

It seemed like both studios were in need of some new leadership anyway with their reliance on sequels and Gigantic getting cancelled. In hindsight I... can see how this might have happened. More devastating would've been someone like Bird or Stanton.

Lee Unkrich would have hurt them a lot too. (but that'd be more just from timing.)

Just now, Morieris said:

I'm more surprised that this came out hours before their latest movie comes out in its home country.

"Luckily" the Academy loves "separating the art from the artist" so this still has Best Animated Feature in the bag.

I'm talking about it's impact on the movie so it's okay being here and not in the dedicated SH/A topic, right?

It's a plus that Lasseter isn't a creative on Coco, so it isn't that hard to separate him from the project. and personally, I do hope the movie isn't hit too hard by this, it's a beautiful film.

7 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

1 minute ago, RandomJC said:

Lee Unkrich would have hurt them a lot too. (but that'd be more just from timing.)

Hmm, I'm not sure I agree. Obviously Unkrich and Stanton and Bird are huge heavyweights in Pixar's creative group, but Lasseter is the one who towers over everyone else (for better or worse). And, of course, not just Pixar, but WDA. 

• Like 2

Just now, Squadron Leader Tele said:

Hmm, I'm not sure I agree. Obviously Unkrich and Stanton and Bird are huge heavyweights in Pixar's creative group, but Lasseter is the one who towers over everyone else (for better or worse). And, of course, not just Pixar, but WDA. 

I really only meant Unkrich could have been worse, just because Coco is his movie, purely a timing issue, more than anything.

Lasseter is certainly the most devastating in the long term, and this could have the potential to hurt Pixar and WDA brand.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Squadron Leader Tele said:

I mean, obviously it's a major loss for them but just from a personal perspective he's already been at arms-length in the creative process for awhile and his last directorial effort was a movie I hated so I wouldn't have been too upset at the notion of him stepping down if it weren't for the character implications of his motive. 

Toy Story 4's definitely going to have to deal with this baggage, though. I hope Cooley's ready for it.

49 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

*Sigh* Time to me to avoid this thread for awhile

Oh my...talk about timing...

Wonder has a 5x+ incoming if this story breaks huge...no wonder Disney didn't market Coco in the US at all the last 2 weeks...wonder if RT rating start to slide now and some of those "iffy" ratings go negative...

Just now, TwoMisfits said:

Oh my...talk about timing...

Wonder has a 5x+ incoming if this story breaks huge...no wonder Disney didn't market Coco in the US at all the last 2 weeks...wonder if RT rating start to slide now and some of those "iffy" ratings go negative...

It's not his movie.