kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers [05.24 - 05.27, 2024] | 4-day actuals | 32.3M FURIOSA: A MAD MAX SAGA | 31.3M THE GARFIELD MOVIE | 22.3M IF | 17.6M KINGDOM OF THE PLANET OF THE APES

No offense, but studios aren't going to extend the theatrical windows. I know you all want it to happen, and I know you all have good reasons why it should happen. But they've been movies things come to PVOD in 45 days, sometimes less, for three whole years now. And they haven't changed their tune whatsoever. If it was hurting their movies and their profits, they would have stopped. At some point, you have to accept the new normal. They see shortened windows and potentially smaller box office as more beneficial. You're just gonna have to deal with it. 🤷‍♂️

Spoiler

Very excited for all the "Knock It Off" reactions I'm about to get.

• Like 5
  • Knock It Off 1

Posted (edited)

I agree studios won't extend theatrical windows. This situation is evidently working for them. Hey, watch JLo's new movie Atlas on Netflix this weekend. I bet it's gonna score big numbers

Sad Cry GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

Edited by Maggie
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, YM! said:

Ik but it’s the principle of things. Don’t think it will move the needle as much but the longer the period helps make the illusion of an uncertain streaming date. 

If what you want is uncertainty about streaming date, they shouldn't have a fixed window of days. It would be better for this to be erratic so the audience doesn't know what to expect.

However, studios cannot do this, because streaming is a business they want to prosper.

• Thanks 1

After we saw the worst start to the summer season since 2005s Kingdom of Heaven, we most probably see the worst Memorial Day Opener since 2002s Insomnia. Yeah, that strike will go down in history for sure. 

But hey, maybe dreams come true and "Furiosa" is able to beat "Prince of Persia". 

The fun part for cinema owners: It would probably be half the audiences in comparison. 

• Like 1
  • Astonished 2

Posted (edited)

I cant fault Universal for putting Fall Guy on PVOD.  Universal did everything they could to make the movie a hit in theaters. They marketed the HELL out of that movie.  Fall Guy made 15m worldwide last weekend and the studio gets around half that.  Universal must know they can make more off of PVOD vs holding off its why they continue to do it.

We saw Furiosa last night. In a 100 plus seat auditorium. It had 14 people in it.  The theater was dead last night. IDK, if people arent showing up to see movies in theaters what are these studios supposed to do. 

Edited by JimmyB

40 minutes ago, Kon said:

Fall Guy was released 21 days ago. The fact someone waited so much time to see the movie with his family seems to imply there wasn't a lot of interest on that movie.

Now, your friend will likely choose to see another movie in theaters with his family, since that seems to be the important part.

no there was interest. They hadn’t had the time until this weekend. 

He also knows Uni’s windows for most movies are relatively small so that doesn’t help.  Again, ALOT of people know this. They see patterns. 

He was amazed at how quickly Fall Guy had come out though. 

46 minutes ago, Eric Furiosa said:

No offense, but studios aren't going to extend the theatrical windows. I know you all want it to happen, and I know you all have good reasons why it should happen. But they've been movies things come to PVOD in 45 days, sometimes less, for three whole years now. And they haven't changed their tune whatsoever. If it was hurting their movies and their profits, they would have stopped. At some point, you have to accept the new normal. They see shortened windows and potentially smaller box office as more beneficial. You're just gonna have to deal with it. 🤷‍♂️

Reveal hidden contents

Four or Five month threatical runs have gone the way of Road Shows, where a movie would play a year in one theater a city at advanc ed prices before gettng a general release.

54 minutes ago, Eric Furiosa said:

It's also something studios were actively championing in the late 2010s. This wasn't just a quick covid forced move.  

5 minutes ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

It's also something studios were actively championing in the late 2010s. This wasn't just a quick covid forced move.  

I thknk studios simply saw the streaming technology coming.

It had been around for a while, but what really gave it the boost was the price of Wi Fi for the home dropping to something most people could afford. Went from over a 100 a month to the 50/60 dollar range.

I think what threw studios off was the speed with which it happened. You can blame COvid for it happening so fast. I think the studios were planning on a much slower move.

I do think there’s something to be said about the audience for Furiosa/Fury Road having a relatively high share of adults seeking prestige cinema but are much more willing to wait for home video, certainly compared to other action films that have released this year.

In terms of theatrical markets, I think there’s a notable divide between event cinema and niche, independent specialties continuing to build a stronghold among Millennials/Gen Z primarily in metropolitan markets. Dare I say Furiosa seems closer to the latter in a sense?

• Like 1

I think the lack of an urgency and water cooler, combined with a reduction in overall audience size having a snowball effect within friend groups, is something I see playing out even in my own life. Of course I want to see Furiosa. Of course! But tbh, if I go, it'll be alone, it's gonna take three hours in the cold with ads, and I won't have anyone at work to discuss it with or anything like the old days. So I'm reallllllly struggling to motivate myself to get there. I will eventually but man does it seem almost like a chore. And if I am feeling that way, well.....

• Like 2