kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers [05.24 - 05.27, 2024] | 4-day actuals | 32.3M FURIOSA: A MAD MAX SAGA | 31.3M THE GARFIELD MOVIE | 22.3M IF | 17.6M KINGDOM OF THE PLANET OF THE APES

2 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

Cool. We are all different. There are movies you probably like that me and a bunch of other people would not watch if we were tied to a chair.

You certainly will get more BO satisfactions than me.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

This should never have been greenlit, I'm sorry 

Could you simply be disappointed by the movie on your own without wishing everybody else was deprived of it?

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

It’s over and it’s time to be realistic.

Asking people to leave their warm homes and cheap massive televisions to journey through the city to watch an even bigger television is an insane proposition in 2024.

The only way to solve the BO is to jack up prices for the few lunatics that actually want to go to the cinema. Nobody is watching movies on a whim anymore. I’m pretty sure the people that ventured to the cinema to watch a movie in a cold dark void, a couple weeks before the PVOD, would’ve done so even if it cost $40-$50.

Billion dollar hits week after week. It’s coming.

Edited by AJG
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 2
  • Disbelief 1

5 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Could you simply be disappointed by the movie on your own without wishing everybody else was deprived of it?

I'm not. I'm just saying that when people question the viability of the theatrical model, this must also be part of the conversation. You're discussing a belated big budget follow-up to a critically successful movie with mediocre box office but an aura of excellence around it. What do you put out? As an artistic endeavour I very much appreciate the decision. But then don't cry about the death of the theatrical experience and question how this could have been such a low opener. There's a multitude of reasons this is falling flat and most of them have nothing to do with the overall decline of cinemas...

1 hour ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

Atp I’m taking a “hope for the best, prepare for the worst” outlook on the box office. D&W will do great business opening weekend, Inside Out and Bad Boyd look promising. Just hope they follow through and more join them.

The heavy hitters (those three, A Quiet Place, Despicable Me, Twisters) all appear more appealing on paper than any of the May titles with the exception of Apes did, $150M+ should be easily achievable for all of them with the possible exception of A Quiet Place (being another prequel with a new cast and all, though cheap enough that they're sure to see a profit). It's whether any of the movies like Horizon or Fly Me to the Moon will connect. At the moment, looking at what those have working against them, I'm going with "no" on that one.

• Like 1

I get that this is a box office forum, and that's great for discussing how likely we are to get a sequel, but when it comes to theatrical viewership, all that matters is "bigger number good."

Garfield may make money for the studio. Great. But if it doesn't make money for theaters, when the Garfield sequel comes out, there will be less screens for it to play on.

9 minutes ago, AJG said:

It’s over and it’s time to be realistic.

Asking people to leave their warm homes and cheap massive televisions to journey through the city to watch an even bigger television is an insane proposition in 2024.

The only way to solve the BO is to jack up prices for the few lunatics that actually want to go to the cinema. Nobody is watching movies on a whim anymore. I’m pretty sure the people that ventured to the cinema to watch a movie in a cold dark void, a couple weeks before the PVOD, would’ve done so even if it cost $40-$50.

Billion dollar hits week after week. It’s coming.

Yep call us people who still like to go to the movies lunatics. Get the F out of here with that shit.

Posted (edited)

I can imagine it backfiring, but if by Wednesday there are no signs of above-average legs, wb should release the octoboss/war rig scene online

might not change much, but the movie is in desperate need of some good news/goodwill 

Edited by interiorgatordecorator

1 minute ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

I can imagine it backfiring, but it by Wednesday there are no signs of above-average legs, wb should release the octoboss/war rig scene online

might not change much, but the movie is in desperate need of some good news/goodwill 

It's likely going to be available for streaming in about a month regardless. 

1 minute ago, emoviefan said:

I am going to be blunt but the anti theater pro streaming agenda that some have around here pisses me off.  

I don't think posters here have an anti theater pro streaming agenda (maybe one of them), but it's just the reality. Theaters are in danger. This year has not been good at the BO. Next year looks better

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

I get that this is a box office forum, and that's great for discussing how likely we are to get a sequel, but when it comes to theatrical viewership, all that matters is "bigger number good."

Garfield may make money for the studio. Great. But if it doesn't make money for theaters, when the Garfield sequel comes out, there will be less screens for it to play on.

Hmm, I think you’re drawing a good distinction here, but I want to expand on it a bit further.   

A mini studio that reliably pumps out 20M grossers on a 2M budget may be very satisfied with their ROI and content to make such movies forever — but it doesn’t contribute enough in raw $ for exhibition to pay for wages rents etc. Not a sustainable model in equilibrium.

A megablockbuster flop that does 400M DOM but loses money from bloated costs and poor os performance is a massive boon for theaters while it’s out — but it’s not a sustainable model either because studios will not continue making such movies if they’re too consistent money losers.   

Only way for things to work out is with movies that have good ROI (so studios will continue making them) and high raw gross (so venues can continue above water on various fixed costs). That was achievable easily enough from 1950-2020, but for now… we’ll see

• Like 1

5 hours ago, harry713 said:

26 for me, and also just one streaming film. Now that AMC has (for the most part) fixed their app I’m really enjoying the “A-List” membership. 

I've seen 62 I have a similar thing to A list different theater chain but I try to see everything

• Like 1

Yeah there’s a difference between anti-theater/pro-streaming (which some people here are) and recognizing that streaming (and other stuff) has significantly changed the calculus.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Maggie said:

I don't think posters here have an anti theater pro streaming agenda (maybe one of them), but it's just the reality. Theaters are in danger. This year has not been good at the BO. Next year looks better

Yeah i got that. It just gets under my skin when someone acts as if us people  who are going to the theaters still are weirdos or something.  And lot of the rest of this year should be better if the movies deliver on their promise. Fingers crossed.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

Yep call us people who still like to go to the movies lunatics. Get the F out of here with that shit.

Damn, what an overreactive reply to something that's unabashedly true. 

In 2014, 67 films made over $50 million domestically.

In 2019, 56 films made over $50 million domestically.

Last year, only 50 films made over $50 million domestically.

This year, only 11 films have crossed that same $50 million mark domestically.

Will there be 39 more films this year that cross the $50 million threshold? I'd like to hope so. There are 31 more weekends left in 2024. It's certainly possible. But will be get to 2019's total? OR even 2014's? Ehh...

Just now, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Damn, what an overreactive reply to something that's unabashedly true. 

In 2014, 67 films made over $50 million domestically.

In 2019, 56 films made over $50 million domestically.

Last year, only 50 films made over $50 million domestically.

This year, only 11 films have crossed that same $50 million mark domestically.

Will there be 39 more films this year that cross the $50 million threshold? I'd like to hope so. There are 31 more weekends left in 2024. It's certainly possible. But will be get to 2019's total? OR even 2014's? Ehh...

Okay how does any of that warrant calling people who do still go to the theaters lunatics?