kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | May 31-Jun 02, 2024 | actuals | 14.01M GARFIELD | 10.78M FURIOSA | 10.51M IF | 8.97M APES

6 hours ago, filmlover said:

Box Office: 'Haikyu!! Dumpster Battle' Sees $800K Previews In Weak Weekend (deadline.com)

Poor Daisy Ridley. Feels like only a matter of time until Hallmark movies come calling for her.

she can do the convention circuit. Star Wars actors have been able to get away with charging massive amounts for autographs/photo ops

1 hour ago, wildphantom said:

I hope it gets a good reception but I’m not convinced. I think we might find they went easy on the last one. 

it’s going to open well though for sure. I’d be surprised if it can’t clear $50 million. 

I just watched Bad Boys For Life again last night. It holds up IMO. If anything I think some of the critics were too hard on it.  I am a fan of the first two Michael Bay movies but it needed a change from his style and the cringe humor.   The early reactions and buzz seem to suggest they kept what made For Life work so no reason to except a critical beating this time.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, AniNate said:

Even if Robot Dreams did win by some miracle, it would still have been completely overshadowed by all the other animated stuff in the middle of summer. There was nothing to compete with it in February.

God knows what Neon was thinking, but whatever their rationale was it was stupid.

They know how to promote a Palme d'Or winner but not much else. I guess Immaculate had a good opening weekend by Neon's standards but Parasite is their only big box office hit.

It's so obvious you push a small scale Animated Feature also-ran during awards season and not three months after the Oscars. Not in 3,000 theaters but maybe 500-800 and play to the completists in February-March. Opening it in June is practically Annapurna levels of poor release strategy.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Like 4

Posted (edited)

Re Young Woman and the Sea, I suspect that was basically intended as a "Netflix run" where they still see it as a streaming release but give it a small theatrical run to meet awards criteria

Edited by AniNate

So looking at next weekend 1) Bad Boys ROD 45-60+ fingers crossed 2-5 )The Watchers, Garfield, IF and Furiosa all in the 6-10 range 6)Apes 5.5-6.5 7)The Fall Guy 2.8-3.5.  Seem like good guesses for the ranges.

30 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

It's so obvious you push a small scale Animated Feature also-ran during awards season and not three months after the Oscars. Not in 3,000 theaters but maybe 500-800 and play to the completists in February-March. Opening it in June is practically Annapurna levels of poor release strategy.

It's a sweet and accessible movie too, even if dialogue-free. (And kids can roll with that, see WALL-E). It wouldn't have had a problem making five, maybe ten million during awards season.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Flopped said:

I've also heard it's bad. Do we trust that Empire nutjob claiming it's good and could be a mini breakout? Or is it all part of his "if you suggest theatres are in trouble, I'll cut your throat in the night" agenda? 

No, he is too much in the everything theatrical is amazing agenda. If the movie was good embargo would be way earlier.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, John Marston said:

she can do the convention circuit. Star Wars actors have been able to get away with charging massive amounts for autographs/photo ops

Star Wars actors never become big time actors with the exception of Harrison Ford. While Neeson and Portman had very good carrers.

Oscar Issac seems to be the only one able to escape unscratched from the sequel trilogy and likely go on to bigger things.

Edited by Mojoguy

10 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Star Wars actors never become big time actors with the exception of Harrison Ford. While Neeson and Portman had ok carrers.

Oscar Issac seems to be the only one able to escape unscratched from the sequel trilogy and likely go on to bigger things.

Portman has more than just an ok career. She won an Oscar.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, babz06 said:

Also, Neeson had a big career before Star Wars and has had a great career since. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Flopped said:

I've also heard it's bad. Do we trust that Empire nutjob claiming it's good and could be a mini breakout? Or is it all part of his "if you suggest theatres are in trouble, I'll cut your throat in the night" agenda? 

I trust Empire less than any other person on the planet. I heard a couple people say it was good on a much more reliable source - Reddit.

• Haha 7

7 minutes ago, babz06 said:

5 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Insane to say Liam Neeson only had an "ok" career too.

Fine. I'll change my comment and say very good careers instead.

• Like 2

Hit Man was so so good, worth the long drive to go see.  In 2018 we would have been absolutely melting down when it inevitably opened to 18m OW, now if it came out and did that number we would all treat it like the second coming.

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

23 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Star Wars actors never become big time actors with the exception of Harrison Ford. While Neeson and Portman had very good carrers.

Samuel L Jackson Smh GIF by Star Wars

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

2 hours ago, AniNate said:

Re Young Woman and the Sea, I suspect that was basically intended as a "Netflix run" where they still see it as a streaming release but give it a small theatrical run to meet awards criteria

probably would fair better at creative emmys as a tv movie, maybe they have not decided if they submit there?

20 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

probably would fair better at creative emmys as a tv movie, maybe they have not decided if they submit there?

Maaaaybe a nomination, but Emmy’s like more zanny stuff in that category like Chip and Dale.

56 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Hit Man was so so good, worth the long drive to go see.  In 2018 we would have been absolutely melting down when it inevitably opened to 18m OW, now if it came out and did that number we would all treat it like the second coming.

I think it could have opened with 10M+ even in today's marketplace. I don't understand how all studios decided it wasn't worthy a try. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cmasterclay said:

I think 18M would be a solid opening for a movie that reportedly cost under 9M.