kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers [June 07-09, 2024] | actuals | 56.5M BAD BOYS: RIDE OR DIE | 10.0M GARFIELD | 7.8M IF | 7.0M THE WATCHERS

14 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

Let's say Focus or Searchlight picked up Hit Man and released it in theaters. What do you think it would have made? I think it could have potentially made 30M DOM.

With those studios, I guess so. Ideally, had Sony (or even Amazon/MGM) picked it up and given it a real push, I think it could've managed a low-teens opening and very good legs from there.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

With those studios, I guess so. Ideally, had Sony (or even Amazon/MGM) picked it up and given it a real push, I think it could've managed a low-teens opening and very good legs from there.

You know I was wondering why Amazon-MGM didn’t pick it up. They’re basically a streamer but Linklater would have been satisfied with a guaranteed theatrical release from them. 

Edited by ringedmortality

We’re waiting on previews for New Line‘s PG-13 rated The Watchers, which is the feature directorial debut of Ishana Shyamalan. However, not only are reviews sour at 29% Rotten, but the PostTrak exits were really bad at a star and a half, and 52% positive. Yikes. This despite a rather even turnout among all age demos with 36% men over 25, 24% women under 25, 20% women over 25 and 20% men under 25.

Wonder if we're looking at a C- or worse CinemaScore grade here.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Wonder if we're looking at a C- or worse CinemaScore grade here.

Twist this time is that the trailer looks good, but the movie is bad?

Not much of a twist.

Posted (edited)

I was intrigued by The Watchers when the first trailer landed, but it was so buzz-free as we got closer to release that it appeared even the studio knew it was going nowhere (to the point of releasing nearly 10 full minutes of the movie online, always a sign of desperation). Mainstream horror seems to be in a rut right now.

Must be said that WB is looking to have a pretty terrible summer, especially since Horizon (Part 1, and naturally, Part 2 in August) is also looking to be a nonstarter. Probably should've held either one of Dune 2 or Godzilla x Kong for summer if they had even a gut feeling that Furiosa would be rejected to the extent that it was.

Edited by filmlover

54 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Excellent for Boys.

Oh God, just realized $50M OW is the new $100M OW. That's how bad it has gotten.

50M is the new 35M

Posted (edited)

Ok,  I was hoping for 7 Million but I guess the NBA Finals took a small toll.  Let's see how the rest of the weekend unfolds. So Less than Apes but again it is R-rated. The last two big R-Rated films were "John Wick 4" which did 8.9 Million Previews.  Oppy did 10 Million.   As for "The Watchers", I don't think it works in a Summer Frame.   M. Night should have had his daughter push it back to the Fall or Winter.  Summer Season has a lot of competition.    I understand they didn't want it up against "Inside out 2" but this weekend wasn't good for it either.   

Edited by filmscholar

With 5.88m, BB4. would need 8.5x IM to hit 50m. That is a very high IM for a live action movie, let alone a R-rated summer flick. Apes, show a better late surge than BB in presale, only managed to get 8.8x IM with MD boost. I can't say I am confident with 50m OW. I haven't seen the gender breakdown but it is safe to say lower female audience turnout is again to "blame" for the drop from BB3. BB3 actually had a good female % for action flick at 44%, a % I doubt BB4 can come close to. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, filmscholar said:

Ok,  I was hoping for 7 Million but I guess the NBA Finals took a small toll.  Let's see how the rest of the weekend unfolds. So Less than Apes but again it is R-rated. The last two big R-Rated films were "John Wick 4" which did 8.9 Million Previews.  Oppy did 10 Million.   As for "The Watchers", I don't think it works in a Summer Frame.   M. Night should have had his daughter push it back to the Fall or Winter.  Summer Season has a lot of competition.    I understand they didn't want it up against "Inside out 2" but this weekend wasn't good for it either.   

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Jurassic World also had an NBA thing the day of its Thursday preview and that had a huge IM. This won't have an 11x IM like Jurassic World, but I'm wondering if high 50s or even low 60s are on the table.