kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers [June 07-09, 2024] | actuals | 56.5M BAD BOYS: RIDE OR DIE | 10.0M GARFIELD | 7.8M IF | 7.0M THE WATCHERS

That schedule is leaning hard on thunderbolts and MI, either of which could do pretty solid but no sure thing. Maybe Ballerina does pretty nice too but I’m not sure how far the wickverse will go without , you know, wick.

6 minutes ago, Legion Again said:

Maybe Ballerina does pretty nice too but I’m not sure how far the wickverse will go without , you know, wick.

Nah it's gonna be bad it's DOA. Don't know why they didn't get the Extraction guy instead

1 hour ago, John Marston said:

Bad Boys 3 was a comeback after 17 years while 4 is just “ more of the same”. Don’t see why it would have topped that movie 

Bad Boys 4 is Will Smith's comeback after The Slap.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, AnthonyJPHer said:

Well at any rate at this point I think 50m is a high possibility and 60m is possible if walkups are insane.

Is $50 million not locked at this point? 

I actually think, and have thought, Thunderbolts could be good. Beef was really good and I feel he came on at the right time when the decline of the MCU was notable that they were able to really focus and rework it into something good. At the very least I think it can leg out to like 500-600M WW in the way Brave New World probably just crashes.

Posted (edited)

Ballerina being reshot to the point it had to be delayed an entire year seems like an indication that we probably shouldn't expect much from it. Poor Ana.

Edited by filmlover

20 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Bad Boys brand surviving both the slap and  Diddy association, love to see it. 

Remember the argument that they should have called the third Bad Boys movie something else and saved Bad Boys for Life for the fourth one? LOL, imagine if they'd been promoting a movie in 2024 with essentially the same title as a famous Diddy song and it's heard throughout the trailers:

Also on the Oscars telecast Diddy was one of the first presenters after The Slap and made a show of playing peacemaker, like he hadn't done infinitely worse things in his life.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

Summer releases this time next year:

MAY

02 THUNDERBOLTS

16 FLOWERVALE STREET

23 MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE VIII

30 KARATE KID

JUNE

06 BALLERINA

Disney has an untitled release for May 23, but I don't know what it could be. It looks like a better line up compared to this year, but interestingly, none is locked for 200M.

Box office wise I’m not feeling this slate. Weirdly enough I think Karate Kid could be the biggest success. M:I will probably make the most but compared to its (alleged) budget.

May 2025 should be better but Thunderbolts?  I had to look up what it's about and it's a team lead by Bucky Barnes and Black Widow's sister Yelena.  10 years ago, I would have said anything the Disney MCU puts out would be a hit but today....IDK...60m opening weekend. 

Bad Boys was stupid fun. 

The Watchers continuing the 8-10m run for horror openers in 2024.  The PostTrak for it are brutal. Maybe, a "D" CinemaScore. 

Posted (edited)

I don't know why people are handwringing over the slap like it still matters. This is the internet age. Controversies last for 2 months at most. Check out the Paul Brothers who have done worse things than Will Smith and are still there.

Edited by Shadow2001
  • Like 1

Different time even in 2010 obviously but Karate Kid is a franchise that's enjoyed legitimate blockbuster status in the past (the '10 movie adjusts to over $200M today, they probably regret not making a sequel to that the priority instead of After Earth in 2013). Would bet against next year's movie at your own peril.

Posted (edited)

2025 honestly doesn't seem all that impressive right now overall, Avatar, Superman and Zootopia doing a lot of the early hype heavy lifting. Q1 at least does seem to have a bigger kids movie presence. Some interesting original projects but as much as they do interest me they're not guarantees at the box office. 

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Different time even in 2010 obviously but Karate Kid is a franchise that's enjoyed legitimate blockbuster status in the past (the '10 movie adjusts to over $200M today, they probably regret not making a sequel to that the priority instead of After Earth in 2013). Would bet against next year's movie at your own peril.

Plus the Cobra Kai series has made the story relevant again 

1 hour ago, kayumanggi said:

I remember back in the day, the forum just depended on Nikki Finke's very early numbers and we knew that they could be off because of how early they were reported. We enjoyed how the numbers changed throughout the day until the studios released their estimates. Fun times.

NOT A RECORD!

Ah, good times.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, AniNate said:

2025 honestly doesn't seem all that impressive right now overall, Avatar, Superman and Zootopia doing a lot of the early hype heavy lifting. Q1 at least does seem to have a bigger kids movie presence. Some interesting original projects but as much as they do interest me they're not guarantees at the box office. 

Honestly I’m not on board Superman. He’s a character that’s kinda always struggled to garner enough attention with audiences, and with this having to follow the DCEU, I think it’s got a bit of a hill to climb.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ringedmortality said:

I actually think, and have thought, Thunderbolts could be good. Beef was really good and I feel he came on at the right time when the decline of the MCU was notable that they were able to really focus and rework it into something good. At the very least I think it can leg out to like 500-600M WW in the way Brave New World probably just crashes.

I think Thunderbolts & Brave New World sound like pretty legit contenders for bomb of 2025

• Like 2

Just got out from a Dolby showing of Bad Boys 4 and I was surprised by how good it is. The film is the type of crowd pleasing action blockbuster Smith was delivering 20 years ago during his peak. I’m guessing an A- Cinemascore is coming but a solid A would not surprise me. Smith and Lawrence make a great team and the film has plenty of humor and three superb action set pieces one of which has a great callback at the end of the film. There is even a surprise song in the middle of the film which was confirmed in the end credits that they actually did get the singer to do it. This should play well for the next few weeks and could very well surpass $200M and deservedly so. As much as I liked The Fall Guy, Bad Boys 4 is the film that should have kicked off the summer season.

• Like 5