Eric is Quiet

INSIDE OUT 2 WEEKEND THREAD | 155M DOM, 140M OS | Summer is back, Disney saves the day! | πŸ˜‚πŸ˜’πŸ˜‘πŸ€’πŸ˜±πŸ˜°πŸ˜’πŸ₯±πŸ˜³

8 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Holy shit looks like I was kind of right.Β 

Β 

At leastΒ $56MΒ is in the bank today including last night’s $13M. Sources tell me that there’s a huge turnout by Hispanic and Latino moviegoers in walk-ups, hence the big business.

Β 

That's a true Friday of $43 million and the day isn't done.

So non-Caucasian audiences once again drive strong walk-ups and a bigger-than-expected opening weekend…

I was just gonna say, 140 has to be where this is headed now. I have the number at 139 with a conservative Saturday (+5%). Conservative but not out of the norm for June Pixar films. That true Friday number is going to be tough to jump from on Saturday, especially if the estimate keeps going up.

Edited by Insomnia

16 hours ago, kayumanggi said:

Β 

Β 

16 hours ago, AniNate said:

Glad he finally left out the +

Should've done the + πŸ˜›Β 

• Haha 4

10 minutes ago, cannastop said:

This basically means that $140m is the minimum OW.

Β 

$13m+$43m+$47m+40m= $143m

Btw I2 is going down ;)

• Astonished 1

10 minutes ago, PatrickvD said:

If a movie looks good it will put butts in seats. It’s that simple. And this is well deserved.

I dunno. We'll see how Elio does next year... if it makes half of what Inside Out 2 does, that's a big success.

32 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

Β 

Good old Deadline saying it will only do 120-130 off that Thursday/Friday. That would only be 70 or so for saturday and sunday combined.Β 

β€œNot a Record” πŸ˜›

Just now, ringedmortality said:

This feels like the first time a movie has had a huge OW with tepid critical and online reception since like Wakanda Forever.

Β 

Calling the critical reception tepid makes that word meaningless.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ringedmortality said:

This feels like the first time a movie has had a huge OW with tepid critical and online reception since like Wakanda Forever.

Tepid?

• Like 1

IO2 overperform isn’t without sign. In real life, IO2 is definitely very hyped since I have multiple friends at workspace brought this movie up during their conversation. I always use that as a gauge of how well the online buzz transcend into real world buzz. Same goes to Barbie. People talk about that movie, which is rare in adult life. Unlike most movie their hype mostly stay online. Most notable example is flash.Β 

• Like 2

Just now, Menor the Destroyer said:

Β 

Calling the critical reception tepid makes that word meaningless.

Β 

74 on Metacritic v. the 90 the first one got. Certainly tepid reception, basically like Finding Dory levels of reception here

• Knock It Off 4

1 minute ago, ringedmortality said:

Tepid. 91% from Critics and 95% from audiences on RT.Β  8.0 on IMBD.Β  Okay...

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

Β 

74 on Metacritic v. the 90 the first one got. Certainly tepid reception, basically like Finding Dory levels of reception here

If you're comparing against the first then almost every movie ever made has "tepid" reviews lmaoΒ 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

Β 

Not being as well loved as the previous movie is not tepid.Β 

17 minutes ago, PatrickvD said:

If a movie looks good it will put butts in seats. It’s that simple. And this is well deserved.

Β 

This is especially true. In this day and age, a film to break out needs to have convincing reasons for the audience to watch it in theaters. It's a double-edged sword in that it's a good thing for studios to create films that can appeal strongly and *uniquely* to the masses, but alternately they feel afraid to take chances for fear of not making a profit.

I'm a little wistful about this huge box office performance. While it is good for Pixar for a movie to be a smash hit, it's another sequel, which I'm not too crazy about. I yearn for original stories from Pixar, but that's not incentivized now. But franchises have to come from somewhere, I suppose.