15.1/592.8

10.21/609.09

5.7 /620.2

3.8/625.9

3.2/630.4...

IO2 made 100.7m during a holiday inflated weekdays 

Expecting 96-97 weekend  

351-352 total

Expect the coming weekdays to follow close to barbie .(55)

Expecting 3rd weekend around mid 50s so close enough to barbie.

4th weekend .DM4 is in town .so will see how that affects things

Incredibles 2 is dust . But feeling a little over  barbie numbers now 

700m -750m train seems a little rushed to me 4 now .

Barbie sure ain't a PG animation but 3.9* off a 160ish opening is playing like one . Added 285m  post 2nd wknd  which is 3* it's second weekend  which is no slouch either. 

TGM was in a league of its own.

Mario dropped off Abit upon guardians release . Same could happen  against DM4.

Edited by Liiviig 1998
  • Like 1

What’s all this talk of Barbie holds being just ok? 

Weekend:

2 - Down 42.6%
3 - Down 43%
4 - Down 36.2%
5 - Down 37.8%

6 - Down 28.2%
7 - Down 32.4%

Plus it was having gargantuan midweek numbers on summer weekdays. 

Granted, these weren’t Maverick holds, but they were pretty damn good. Near 4 x multiplier for any movie opening over $150 million is excellent.  

No movie that’s opened higher than Barbie has had a better multiplier. 

If Inside Out manages to hit 4 x multiplier then it will be the only movie that’s opened over $150 million to do so.  That gives you an idea of how much of an achievement it will be so we shouldn’t put too much pressure on it hitting around $615 million. Anything near $600 million will be incredible. 

Edited by wildphantom
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

I’m still not in the $600 million club yet. Will need to see how it holds once DM4 arrives. A $90 million plus weekend would suggest $550 million is safe though. 

Edited by wildphantom
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

I’m still not in the $600 million club yet. Will need to see how it holds once DM4 arrives. A $90 million plus weekend would suggest $550 million is safe though. 

It’s going 95-100+ million for 2nd weekend. Let’s be real.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bob Train said:

Barbie isn't a PG animation like IO2, IO2 legs should be compared to other kids movies, not Barbie.

Also Barbie ran out space in the first week, which pushed business into second and third weeks. After that, it had just okay holds. IO2 didn't have to share screens with an Oppenheimer-sized opening in it's first week, which makes the sub-40% drop even more crazy.

700m requires 4.5x legs. None of the Pixar sequel, even TS3 and I2 with A+ cinemascore hit that high. All of them are in the 3x range. Neither the first IO had 4.5x legs. So I don’t know what made IO2 so special to stand so far ahead of its peers. 

• Like 5

TS5 will make 450M and 1.05B WW in a very boring but succesful run 

Incredibles 3 will be made, from what we know Pixar is just waiting Brad Bird finish his 2D animation to come back. Waiting 10 years for a sequel never give them any problem.

I am not even on 600m train yet

Have to see week 2 weekdays hold to make sense. 

I see something like 580m+ 680m as ideal outcome ( which now many will call underperformance sadly)

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

I am not even on 600m train yet

Have to see week 2 weekdays hold to make sense. 

I see something like 580m+ 680m as ideal outcome ( which now many will call underperformance sadly)

• Like 1

Monsters University was doing extremely well for a couple of weeks, similar to Inside Out 2 in terms of its weekday first week holds and a 44% drop second weekend. 

IO2’s second weekend hold is looking even stronger, sure - but just take a look at what happened to MU once DM2 arrived in weekend 3. 

MU was at $170 million after 10 days and a really good second weekend hold and it only managed to do another $98 million after that. 

So whilst DM4 doesn’t enter the fray until two days prior to weekend 4, it could still smash those crucial late IO legs pretty hard. 

Yes, MU wasn’t as beloved as IO2 in terms of initial reception, but box office wise it was storming along at a similar relative speed until DM2 arrived. Now has some of the mania around DM dissipated since then? Sure. It’s still a behemoth animated franchise though. 

$600 million is not assured until we see what DM4’s arrival does to it. 

Same thing happened to Dory when Secret Life of Pets arrived.  The trends are there for us all to see, so I don’t see what is necessarily going to make IO2 any different. 

I’m still remaining conservative at $575 million for now. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Which makes how Toy Story 5 perform an interesting question (or watch it just gross the same as 3 & 4). But in all seriousness it felt like they got away with it in Toy Story 4 by making one more. Incredibles 3 would be a safer bet but they're probably reluctant to make it without Brad Bird

I kiiinda expect TS5 to fall from 3 & 4... they can't even use the hook of focusing this one more on Buzz because they already made that Lightyear movie. Don't get me wrong, it's still probably gonna make like a huge $900m or something, but that franchise has probably hit its ceiling. Maybe if they waited until the very end of the decade, there would be some nostalgia about getting the crew to reunite?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, toutvabien said:

I kiiinda expect TS5 to fall from 3 & 4... they can't even use the hook of focusing this one more on Buzz because they already made that Lightyear movie. Don't get me wrong, it's still probably gonna make like a huge $900m or something, but that franchise has probably hit its ceiling. Maybe if they waited until the very end of the decade, there would be some nostalgia about getting the crew to reunite?

enough for Disney to say TS6

• Like 1

I'm this close to join the $600m dom train, I think anything higher thus far seems a little wild. But overseas at this point, no way it's doing less than $700m - high $700ms to low $800ms actually feels safe to predict. So, something just over or under Mario imo.

8 hours ago, Speedorito said:

The Exorcism has gotten a D CinemaScore

I guess people got mad because this movie was sold as another Exorcism movie like Pope's Exorcist, but it's actually a movie within a movie. This one was also filmed before Covid and it was called The Georgetown Project. 

Once The Pope's Exorcist got released and it was a sucess, they changed the name of this Georgetown Project to The Exorcism, promoting it as another Exorcism movie wih Crowe.

Considering this is breaking the 2nd weekend record for an animated movie $600M is absolutely locked and loaded as far as I’m concerned. Important thing to remember about MU is it wasn’t a bad prequel but nobody connected to it in the same way as Monsters Inc and DM2 at the time was a huge event. 375M in 2013 is like 500M+ now. It was a new fresh franchise kids were looking forward to seeing a follow up to rather than the 14 year old, 7 movies in franchise Despicable Me has become now (which frankly appeals to younger children than Inside Out). Even if this doesn’t pass the $100M 2nd weekend threshold it will likely be the closest any movie has got that opened under $200M. That is a pretty impressive feat to me and with summer weekdays I don’t see how it fails to make another $250M going forward. It has proved it can hold well against DM4 in overseas markets already (where DM franchise is arguably even bigger), so I see no reason why it can’t do it in North America as well. 

Edited by Fanboy
  • Like 4