kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers [June 28-30, 2024] | Actuals | 57.52M INSIDE OUT II | 52.20M AQP: DAY ONE | 11.05M HORIZON: AAS - CHAPTER 1

5 minutes ago, Insomnia said:

Exactly. It's why I think marketing is soooo important in the discussion about the health of the box office. Marketing is actually one of the positives I'm seeing out of the industry this year. Before this year it felt that studios weren't putting in the effort. Like most of their movies were just formalities. This year that feeling has returned of studios making their movies seem like big deals and I think that's hugely important for injecting some energy into the market, which it sorely lacked. People still will go to movies, just make it feel important and a big deal.

I also think the date was a big factor. I've said it before but it feels like studios are starting to hone in on the July part of summer. Someone said that July is beat the heat month (we've just seen this factor in to the box office in June too) and audiences are never more in the mood for movies than that specific corridor (besides Christmas I guess). I think studios realize this and that's why they're more than willing to stack the month, even in the midst of a theatrical climate where tentpoles movies need a lot of space from each other due to PLF dominance.

Put Barbenheimer anywhere else and I doubt it blows up quite that huge, at least on opening weekend.

Exactly on the July thing. Which is why despite Twisters not blowing up in presales yet when release week comes and if the reviews are good it should be fine and do well until the following week when it loses it's PLFs like you said. Oh well that will be a strong 2 weeks for the theaters at least which is the good thing.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

Exactly on the July thing. Which is why despite Twisters not blowing up in presales yet when release week comes and if the reviews are good it should be fine and do well until the following week when it loses it's PLFs like you said. Oh well that will be a strong 2 weeks for the theaters at least which is the good thing.

Yup I've had Twisters in mind in this regard as well. It's why in this particular case I'm not worried about the date.

Mission: Impossible last year suffered greatly ahead of Barbenheimer but I think that was a little different. Barbenheimer is a different beast than Deadpool & Wolverine. Even if D&W opens to the same amount as Barbie + Oppenheimer ($242M - which it won't), two movies sucks more air out of the box office than one.

Edited by Insomnia
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

I feel like July has always been the peak summer movie going month. It always has that perfect storm month of movies that just  scream summer.

It depends on when the interesting movies are released. 2007's May must have been crazy

Wow what a fantastic weekend.  June really did deliver and brought audiences back to the big screen in a big way.   I think 53 is solid for "QPDO".  Mainly because Horror/PG 13 films can be frontloaded, especially in the summer.   It had a bigger opening Day than "Bad Boys" and 'Apes" yet had a lower overall weekend.   Still higher than both "QP" and "QP Part II".   I liked the film because these movies have always been character pieces and I thought Lupita really shined in her performance.  The movie was overall depressing so I'm not shocked by some of the audience scores.   

But that's the point, it's an Alien Invasion horror film that focuses on people trying to survive. I felt the movie was a few scenes away from being even better but I think Budget issues caused them to go smaller in scale despite being in New York City.  Yes the marketing focused a lot on the action and explosions but the film did fit well into the franchise.    Congrats to the 2024 Box Office Champ "IO2" for crossing a Billion.   It is the king of the Mountain until further notice.   It's challengers "D&W" and "Joker 2" are both R-rated and will most likely be more frontloaded than "IO2" was. 

"DM4" will hurt it next week but can it get the same numbers?  I don't know.    But looks like it will pass "Mario" and "Frozen ii' worldwide.  'The Lion King " will be interesting if it could challenge that.   Kevin, Kevin, Kevin.  Another Historical Epic that underperforms.   With that said 11 Million isn't that bad for "Horizon" considering Westerns aren't huge box office seller.  From "Waterworld" (I saw this on the big scree in 95, lol) to "Postmen" to "Wyatt Earp" to "Open Range".   It seems Kevin has a long history of underperforming Big Epics.   

With that said he did still "Dances With Wolves" which is a Classic and "JFK" was a success.  He's also had several hits.  Kevin has his style with Westerns and Sports type films.   "Horizon" was a passion project for him but they clearly spent way too much and it was really long.   But again 11 Million isn't that bad for a Western.   "Bad Boys" with another Drop in the 40's.   It's neck and neck with "For Life" and has already grossed over 330 Million WW.  It got some Adult competition from "Bikeriders" last week and "Horizon" this week but still holding strong all things consider.   200 is in range but it will have to get a nice July 4th boost.   400 WW is also in range as well.   Overall as we head into July, let's give a round of applause for "Inside Out 2", "Bad Boys" and "Quiet Place" for really giving audiences something to support this past month.   One things for sure I guess this is the "Year of the Sequel".  

Edited by filmscholar
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, CJohn said:

It definitely feels like Bad Boys is gonna end at 190-195M.

I still think 195 at least seems likely. DM4 and Maxine will not hurt it. Fly Me to the Moon sure as shit will not. It really depends on  where it's at when the Twisters/ DP and W back to back combo come and even Twisters has a slightly different core audience it's safe to say.

1 hour ago, AniNate said:

A lot of infomercial box office grosses this year. Just $199,999,999.99!!

I can't believe  GXK and KFP4 both ran out gas right at the 193+ mark after pretty solid openings.  It just needed a little more.   "Bad Boys" is right there.  About 34 Million to go.   With weekdays and a few more weekends, can it make it? It's ahead of "KFP4" already by day 24.  

6 hours ago, Flopped said:

How long until IO2 passes Barbie? 
It's crazy how effortlessly it gave that mediocre, overhyped movie a run for its money. The only thing WB Marketing didn't do was dye that world's oceans pink. 

It's passing Barbie domestically before August hopefully.

8 hours ago, AniNate said:

Whatever you thought of horizon before the reviews, the fact Warner screened it there is evidence enough that they hoped to build good buzz. It was the big gamble that fatally backfired.

I don't imagine any major studios are going to be returning for awhile after the last couple years.

I wonder if they messed up not screening both parts at Cannes, bc at least you'd see most of the story beyond JUST set up and it'd have been easier to review it too.

2 hours ago, TheDude391 said:

I wonder if they messed up not screening both parts at Cannes, bc at least you'd see most of the story beyond JUST set up and it'd have been easier to review it too.

People are sick to death of all the part 1s like Horizon, Fast X, and Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning. They are paying full price for the ticket, and getting just half the story. Also who knows if part 2 will be even worth it or even when it is coming out.

Studios need to stop.

Splitting films into 2 only works if they are based on long books like Dune and IT, because viewers can read those entire books and not be left hanging for god knows how long. Book readers also at least can compare the differences.

Edited by Mojoguy