Eric Deetz

Fourth of July/Despicable Me 4 Weekend Thread | 122.61M 5-Day Opening

2 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Yeah the verified audience score is 89%... I guess that's fine though.

Idk Minions 2 has the same score but that's after way more than just 100 reviews. I bet the kids liked it though 

1 hour ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Taking the Despicable Me 2 Pattern which had the same dates

Wed $28M 

Thurs $19.7M (-29.9%)

Fri $24.4M (+24.2%)

Sat $23.5M (-3.6%)

Sun $18.9M (-19.5%)

= $114.4M 5 day OW

Same legs as DM2 gets it to $293M by the 150th Day but maybe it'll hold better with less competition than in 2013 so another $300M+ DOM is easily doable which would be remarkable consistency for this franchise. 

DM2 had Tuesday previews ($4.7M). So Thursday only fell 19% from true Wednesday.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Why are folks acting surprised. It's BO is online with tracking. Minion 2 just exploded 2 years ago. There was no reason to expect it to crash.

Many movie nerds want it to crash and put that in their predictions.  They hate seeing it beat their favorites.

Also some people just predicted wrong. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Human said:

Many movie nerds want it to crash and put that in their predictions.  They hate seeing it beat their favorites.

No one realistically thought Despicable Me 4 wasn't going to be one of the biggest movies this summer. Not sure what "favorites" you're referring to.

Actually who is even shocked at the OD projected now?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, keysersoze123 said:

Why are folks acting surprised. It's BO is online with tracking. Minion 2 just exploded 2 years ago. There was no reason to expect it to crash.

3 minutes ago, Human said:

Where in the world are people getting the idea that people are surprised or want it to crash lmao

All of the comments here are talking about the franchise’s consistency compared to something like Ice Age. Tons of people were predicting this to be the only billion dollar 2024 film for months.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

There were a handful of people really thinking it would "crash", but by crash they meant stuff like "only" 700M.

Edited by Human
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Human said:

There were a handful of people really thinking it would "crash", but by crash they meant stuff like "only" 700M.

Is that people here or “people” on fb and reddit and I use “people” very loosely for the latter.

4 minutes ago, Human said:

Honestly, until the box office is fully back in a healthy place where not every single film has to hit in order to keep the entire marketplace upfloat, no one should even be wishing a movie to be a massive box office bomb. 

I get why people would be upset at a movie that they don't like does so much better than something they do like, but I just don't see the point in actively wanting or wishing failure upon it. 

I know this isn't that thread, but I have heard this so many times about the MCU and other franchises and I'm absolutely just sick and tired of it, especially in this very fragile marketplace. 

• Like 13

TBF, I do think it was reasonable, at least a few weeks ago, to think with Inside Out 2 overperforming like crazy and Despicable Me 3 underperforming domestically that DM4 could have done lukewarm business relative to the other movies. Though yeah, I don't think anybody expected the movie to bomb or crash or anything like that.

• Like 4

Illumination is the definition of mediocre but at the same time their movies are getting kids into cinemas so not gonna complain too much when Despicable Me or Mario do well. I am very curious how Mario 2 will do (personally think the more they make the more it'll settle closer to how the Despicable Me franchise does as opposed to $1.3B+ like the first).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mickiland16 said:

Idk Minions 2 has the same score but that's after way more than just 100 reviews. I bet the kids liked it though 

Minions 2 had a 92% during it's OW.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, keysersoze123 said:

I guess because the Minions movies are unwatchable and people chalked up the success of the last one to a TikTok challenge. Part of me is not surprised, the other part is. It's hard to keep a franchise going with bad movie after bad movie. So in that regard, congrats to them. Yellow critters acting cute and making silly noises must be enough diversion for families. 

Edited by Flopped
  • Like 1

Safe to say the families audiences are very much back. 

One could still grumble that they only show up for franchises, but we've yet to really get the kind of critically acclaimed original since COVID that you could actually base any assumption about that on. Yes it's true that they have to impress people better than sequels do to be successful, but that's what makes them the kind of risks worth admiring.

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, Ryan C said:

Honestly, until the box office is fully back in a healthy place where not every single film has to hit in order to keep the entire marketplace upfloat, no one should even be wishing a movie to be a massive box office bomb. 

I get why people would be upset at a movie that they don't like does so much better than something they do like, but I just don't see the point in actively wanting or wishing failure upon it. 

I know this isn't that thread, but I have heard this so many times about the MCU and other franchises and I'm absolutely just sick and tired of it, especially in this very fragile marketplace. 

I have said as a BO office nerd and a supporter of a healthy theatrical marketplace I am glad for the success of the DM/Minions franchise but I checked out on this franchise a long time ago. That's what people should do. If you want  the theaters to stay in business you have to accept that the GA might just like movies and franchise you don't. 

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, Flopped said:

I guess because the Minions movies are unwatchable and people chalked up the success of the last one to a TikTok challenge. Part of me is not surprised, the other part is. It's hard to keep a franchise going with bad movie after bad movie. So in that regard, congrats to them. Yellow critters acting cute and making silly noises must be enough diversion for families. 

I expected Minions 2 to drop and it did not. It could be due to TikTok but there is some level of comfort/familiarity around these jaundiced monsters. So coming to DM4 we expected leggy final few days of presales and its OD did do what we expected yesterday. What is more interesting is how rest of the weekend goes. 

11 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Safe to say the families audiences are very much back. 

One could still grumble that they only show up for franchises, but we've yet to really get the kind of critically acclaimed original since COVID that you could actually base any assumption about that on. Yes it's true that they have to impress people better than sequels do to be successful, but that's what makes them the kind of risks worth admiring.

I don’t think it’s safe to say that. Critical acclaim might be necessary for Pixar and WDAS originals to be hugely successful (or at the very least, acclaim correlates with financial success for them), but it’s never been true for Illumination and Dreamworks. And yet post-pandemic we’ve had lows from original films like Ruby Gilman and Migration and big hits from IP/sequel films like Minions: Rise of Gru and Kung Fu Panda 4. 

That 5 year break really saved this franchise. See Hollywood? You don't need to milk every franchise into oblivion with 1 movie every year + TV spinoffs. Sometimes breaks are good.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Human said:

If people expected IO2 mega breakout to crash DM4, they clearly forgotten just how dead the April and May were. IO2 breaking out is the release of the oppressed demand energy stored from those months, not taking away the slice from DM4. It wasn’t like IF or Garfield were doing so great either to squeeze the minion out from summer crowd.

• Like 1