Eric Wilson

Fourth of July/Despicable Me 4 Weekend Thread | 122.61M 5-Day Opening

45 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

Maxxxines gotta be the most disappointing film of the year 

People were freaking out in the maxxxine thread when I said it's bad a couple weeks ago. it's such a shocking step down bc the first two are very good. the misfire of the year. 

Posted (edited)
On 7/3/2024 at 6:41 PM, ZeroHour said:

Rooting for or against movies is like rooting for a sports team. People get emotionally invested but it doesn’t actually affect the outcome. 

thats true.. though its also like what if the sport you really liked depended on a level of success for a broad base of other teams for the league to financially survive, you cant have a viable league with just one or 2 teams.. and you need the league to survive if you want to be able to continue to root for your team to win and want to be able to continue to go see your team play. Cause thats kind of like the scenario one could argue we have been in with theatrical exhibition. I may not like some of the junk that makes a ton of money but at least that enables theaters (and studios for that matter) to survive and be able to produce & show riskier things that may not make a ton of money.. Which is why many of us

are emotionally invested in just seeing  movies succeed, regardless if its our favorite.

Edited by Maaatt
  • Like 3

In A Violent Nature is the biggest let down of the year so far for me. 

Around 40 people walked out half an hour in (it was a secret screening and they probably wanted Maxxxine). But it’s so slow and repetitive and kills its own momentum every time. 

The Watchers still worst of the year for me though, whew what an ugly mess. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, todos said:

No jubilant posts from Empire. DM4’s performance must really be underwhelming to him.

Yeah I was going to say, there really isn't any energy around DM4. It's not doing bad of course. Just not great. Pretty meh. Hopefully Longlegs breaks out and Twisters and D&W hit big, which obviously Deadpool will.

DM4 is probably going to do a bit over 40% of the animation juggernaut from 3 weeks earlier, makes sense for the reaction to be relatively subdued

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I think now that inside out 2 has broken out I don't need to be quite as invested in DM4's success for the future of movie theaters. It's still doing ok ofc and keeping theaters busy well enough, but it's never been a franchise cinephile circles have had much enthusiasm about. I am tbh kind of relieved that it's not a huge juggernaut like IO2 is because I'd rather the business model not be encouraged, especially on the heels of reading that NY Times profile of Pierre Coffin lamenting that his creation has been overly commercialized.

This is more like a week I'm begrudgingly enduring because I do know theaters still need the business, but definitely looking ahead to the more adult options this month.

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Flopped said:

People were freaking out in the maxxxine thread when I said it's bad a couple weeks ago. it's such a shocking step down bc the first two are very good. the misfire of the year. 

I still don't believe you, pal. Opinions are just opinions 

giphy.webp

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, ringedmortality said:

Maxxxines gotta be the most disappointing film of the year 

Man, the reactions are so surprising for me because I absolutely loved every second of this movie and walking out of the theater I thought it would be the most accessible of the three because it’s so entertaining and fun. It just shows how wildly different people view the trilogy film to film. 

Edited by cubsfan
  • Like 4

I thought Maxxxine was a lot of camp fun, but i’ve never viewed these movies as much more beyond exercises in style from Ti West with a fun Goth performance in the middle so maybe i’m just judging this on a different scale.

finally got around to IO 2 (i guess round 2 since i passed out the first time lol) and thought it was just excellent. Best Pixar in a minute

3 hours ago, AniNate said:

I don't need to be quite as invested in DM4's success for the future of movie theaters.

Why be invested in any movie's success really. I can understand wanting movie theaters to stick around, but at the end of the day unless it directly affects you, I don't see the point.

2 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Why be invested in any movie's success really. I can understand wanting movie theaters to stick around, but at the end of the day unless it directly affects you, I don't see the point.

This is a box office forum. It would be uncommon to be here if you aren't interested on movie's success at some level.

• Like 7