Grand Cine

Weekdays (08-11th July) Super Tuesday DM4 : 15,1M - IO2 : 5,6M

I don’t think it’s been discussed here much; but Kinds of Kindness has had a dismal run given its high pedigree. Sure, the reviews have only been middling instead of terrific like for Poor Things and summer is seldom a good time to unleash arthouse-type or highbrow fare. Still, the film won’t reach $10M US and probably not even $8M. Somebody dropped the ball on this one.

6 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

I don’t think it’s been discussed here much; but Kinds of Kindness has had a dismal run given its high pedigree. Sure, the reviews have only been middling instead of terrific like for Poor Things and summer is seldom a good time to unleash arthouse-type or highbrow fare. Still, the film won’t reach $10M US and probably not even $8M. Somebody dropped the ball on this one.

The movie is by all accounts extremely alienating/for diehard fans only. Nobody "dropped the ball", it's just how it is sometimes. It wouldn't have grossed more in any other time of year.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

Not dismal. Expected. If you've seen it.

11 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

Emma Stone was due for a disappointment. Law of averages. Not everything can be a winner.

Fantastic number for DM4 - makes sense that a $5 ticket deal would really help a child focused animated film.

$325-350 DOM.

Congrats to IO2 for becoming Pixar's all time highest grossing film WW.

It's running pretty close to I2 right now - maybe 5% ahead. Looks like it should have another $100M or so left to go. So over/under Barbir DOM is the likely target. I don't think it will have enough in the tank to catch JW.

Probably looking at close to $1.6B WW for its run.

Will be interesting to see if it can pass $1B Intl, only 11 movies have managed that and only one animated - The Lion King (2019).

Will pass TLK DOM tomorrow and $550M on Thursday - Day 28, 8th fastest all time and 1 day quicker than Barbie.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

I think even if with more Money made the poor things result in the US is way more disappointing. 

1 hour ago, LonePirate said:

Reading the reactions, they can be happy with 8M DOM. 

The movie seems to be extremely disturbing to watch, which is why it also got divisive reviews. It all seems to be very deliberate tho to be perceived as “someone dropped the ball”.

We could feel this simply because they send it to Cannes (where it won an award) in the middle year instead of waiting to release on award season like The Favourite and Poor Things. 

2 hours ago, LonePirate said:

There's plenty of examples of arthouse fare that did well in the summer. Asteroid City made decent coin just last year, for instance.

In addition to what others have said, anthology movies face marketing challenges in the first place. Add in the movie itself being both not an awards contender and apparently extremely off-putting and these are the box office results you get, no matter the time of year.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Huh? Why? Movies like that never truly breakout. 

OS It was bigger (counting how big is the market in general no need to Say) i would Say almost in every market. In NA made only the 29% of the global Total. So the potential was there with all the awards and the discussion about It to make at least 50M imo. 

Meanwhile this last One is a flop everywhere, so seems like the appeal just is not here.

Edited by vale9001

5 hours ago, LonePirate said:

It just looked like one of the most unappealing films of the year, IMO. It’s too close for them to be working together again. I think they have a third collaboration incoming, which is just silly. 

• Knock It Off 1