kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | Actuals | 81.3M TWISTERS | 24.4M DESPICABLE ME IV | 12.8M INSIDE OUT II | 12.0M LONGLEGS

2 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Twisters 3 with marketed sex scene with Powell and Edgar Jones can increase domestically and overseas 

Because if there's one thing international audiences outside of Europe love, it's sex scenes.

I do think you could set a Twisters sequel in a place that doesn't have tornadoes normally or rarely, it's where that's the question? Australia has rural parts and Bush fires and the combination of a twister and bush fires is lethal but that would be kind of exciting as a set up.

Just now, Jonwo said:

I do think you could set a Twisters sequel in a place that doesn't have tornadoes normally or rarely, it's where that's the question? Australia has rural parts and Bush fires and the combination of a twister and bush fires is lethal but that would be kind of exciting as a set up.

Eh I do feel like part of the appeal of the movies at least in America is the semblance of realism they go for. Most tornadoes happen in flat sparsely populated regions, and that's also the most ideal setting for storm chasers to do their dumb daredevil schticks. You could possibly bring different culture clash dynamics into it if you took the setting to other tornado prone areas abroad though.

21 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Not sure what intl distribution contracts entail but if it can keep its theaters that does leave more room for the spillover effect

Yeah, I’m not a big believer in the spillover effect in the streaming era. If the interest isn’t there I think people will opt to stay home.

anyways, twisters will likely break even with how strong the domestic performance is. Should do $250M+ !

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Eric Twister said:

That's also a good point too. The Spielberg name probably also helped out its appeal OS a ton. His name sadly doesn't carry the same weight it used to, but I guess having one or two "Steven Spielberg Presents" in the ads for Twisters certainly wouldn't have hurt I suppose.

WB did nothing to sell this OS. Marketing was exactly the same as it was DOM. They should have used Spielberg's name, focus more on Glen Powell (Crawdads was a small movie OS unlike DOM so DEJ isn't as recognizable) and not show the cowboys stuff. 

2 minutes ago, CJohn said:

focus more on Glen Powell (Crawdads was a small movie OS unlike DOM so DEJ isn't as recognizable) and not show the cowboys stuff. 

This is a paradoxical demand

It remains to be seen if the meh overseas performance will discourage them from making a sequel to this (+ Powell is looking to be booked and busy for a while with all the projects he has lined up) but I can totally see a comeback for generic disaster movies returning. At least more polished efforts like this vs. hacky fare like Geostorm and Into the Storm.

55 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

"No, we don't get tornadoes in New York, but there was an EF-1 in Brooklyn a coule years ago"

I mean...it's right there. It's happening.

• Like 1

Awesome DOM OW for Twisters. Seems like a surprising number for it. 👍🏻 🌪️

Also on a minor side note, Simba has taken down Katniss Everdeen! With TLK (1994)’s $424.7M DOM lifetime gross over Hunger Games: Catching Fire’s $424.6M. 🦁

• Like 2

4dx is insane for Twisters. In Regal Atlantic Station in Atlanta, it totally sold out for the 9pm show tonight and it's more than half sold out for the morning show tomorrow.

3 hours ago, filmlover said:

It remains to be seen if the meh overseas performance will discourage them from making a sequel to this (+ Powell is looking to be booked and busy for a while with all the projects he has lined up) but I can totally see a comeback for generic disaster movies returning. At least more polished efforts like this vs. hacky fare like Geostorm and Into the Storm.

Having just come back from it, I'm hopeful the studio look past the international performance, and chalks it up to those audiences not quite really knowing what they were getting here, and that they'll discover it on streaming.

Between Olympics, Euros/Copa and a tougher international sell, I can see international audiences just not making this a priority, but the movie is straight down the middle popcorn entertainment.

The domestic performance will give them enough insurance, and the tease of maybe moving the locale to more recognizable cities will help.

If the cast is willing to come back, it feels like a surer thing than almost anything else that universal has for live action.

Awesome opening for "Twisters". I can't believe saw the original 28 years ago (I still have it on VHS, lol).   I really enjoyed the movie, mostly for the story.  Caught an afternoon Sunday show.  Theater was about half full.   There was some continuity even though there wasn't any returning characters (Using similar equipment).  There was one scene that felt like Helen Hunt could have been there though.  I don't know what it is about "Amblin" films, they just have a texture and feel.   It really worked.    But 80 is fantastic.   

As I said this is like a "Top Gun" situation where it's been a long time since the original but there's a lot of good will. "Twister" was a huge home video seller and has been on television for the last two Decades.   Sure for most franchises, the lack of returning characters can hurt it (Independence Day/Furiosa etc).  But as many said before opening "The Disaster Element and Tornados" were the biggest selling tool.   I think this was Glenn Powell's breakout performance.   He dominated every time he popped up.  I also thought Daisy did well in the lead, this was technically her story.     Anthony Ramos did good in supporting role too.   

Overall it did it's job as a fun summer disaster movie.  I also think it will bring a younger generation back to the original.  Congrats to "IO2", I think it just locked up the year crossing 1.4 Billion.   Yes Deadpool and Wolvie will be huge but will it have the same legs?   "DM4" has put up respectable numbers and helped the franchise reach well over 5 Billion.   As for everything else, "Longlegs" is doing great for a low-budget horror.  "Fly Me To The Moon" just came out in the wrong era, it would have done much better in the 90's, even early 2000's.   "A Quiet Place" has put up respectable number overall.   "Bad Boys" just hit 189.  11 more million but it will be coming to streaming soon.   It' s gonna be close but we'll see.  Overall very strong weekend.  

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, vafrow said:

Having just come back from it, I'm hopeful the studio look past the international performance, and chalks it up to those audiences not quite really knowing what they were getting here, and that they'll discover it on streaming.

Between Olympics, Euros/Copa and a tougher international sell, I can see international audiences just not making this a priority, but the movie is straight down the middle popcorn entertainment.

The domestic performance will give them enough insurance, and the tease of maybe moving the locale to more recognizable cities will help.

If the cast is willing to come back, it feels like a surer thing than almost anything else that universal has for live action.

International isn't an issue for Universal, they have domestic which means they will make their share of the budget and marketing back and then some. Warner Bros' share of the budget and marketing is limited to international revenue not just from theatrical but also other ancillaries like SVOD, PVOD and TV etc so even if they only break even from theatrical, they'll see it as a success as well.

Domain Entertainment is co-financing Twisters along with Universal and Warner Bros so there is a chance Warner Bros doesn't have much equity in Twisters compared to Universal.

How the rest of the next weekends will Inside Out 2 do? 

6th weekend: 13 million when the actual comes later.

End of 6th week before Deadpool and Wolverine: 605-606 million domestic

7th weekend: 8 million

End of 7th week: 618-620 million

8th weekend: 5-6 million

It's expected to beat Jurassic World domestically on or before Labor Day weekend.

• Like 2