kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | Actuals | 81.3M TWISTERS | 24.4M DESPICABLE ME IV | 12.8M INSIDE OUT II | 12.0M LONGLEGS

3 hours ago, VanillaSkies said:

94% audience score on RT right now is promising. Probably will go down a few notches, but clearly the general public is enjoying.

Hope word of mouth spreads fast this weekend.

And unlike other PG-13 action flick this summer like AQP and apes that dives to 70%+, twisters WOM seem a lot better. Apes and AQP hold strong against subpar exit score so I am curious if twisters can hold even better. 

1 minute ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

The takeaway from Twisters’ OW should be that audiences want to see the Midwest getting messed up by Mother Nature. 

At least Midwest audiences do.

This is a completely hypothetical question and I'm pretty sure it's not going to happen, but I want to get your guys' thoughts on this. 

How would you react if Twisters started playing like Inside Out 2 tomorrow and just massively over-indexed in not just middle America but was pulling walk-up business like that of Top Gun: Maverick. Basically from people who rarely ever go to the movies, but all showed up to Maverick. Then we be taking about a $75M opening weekend or even higher. 

I don't know but I can only imagine how this thread would react if that were to happen. 

Edited by Ryan C

1 hour ago, excel1 said:

TRAP is more likely to hit it on opening weekend than miss it in total. Josh's comeback is BFD be serious 

Find yourself someone who looks at you the way excel looks at Josh Hartnett.

Seriously dude, it's 2024, he aint a big name lmao

That said the guy was obviously talking about OWs, and trap is not making 40M OW.

24 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

Find yourself someone who looks at you the way excel looks at Josh Hartnett.

Seriously dude, it's 2024, he aint a big name lmao

That said the guy was obviously talking about OWs, and trap is not making 40M OW.

Does It Ends with Us have a shot at 40m OW though?

14 minutes ago, CIDMoosa said:

Does It Ends with Us have a shot at 40m OW though?

No. I’m fully expecting previews to be frontloaded. The book has a big fanbase, and “book tok” is one of the most rabid fanbases that exist today. 

The Fault In Our Stars did something like 8.6M previews 10 (holy crap) years ago, 26 OD, and 48 OW. I think It Ends With Us will have somewhat of a similar front loaded multiplier. 4M previews, 12-13M OD, 24-25 OW. Multiplier after opening weekend could be solid if reception is good, but I don’t really see much beyond 75 DOM.

Essentially, it’ll be another Crawdads, with a smaller total and bigger OW. Or heck, maybe I eat my words next month and this makes a billion dollars. Who knows?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Boxofficerules said:

If Twisters is a massive hit, will they make a sequel and call it Titty Twisters?

That should have been the sequel to From Dusk Till Dawn

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

Films don't lose theaters on their 2nd weekend no matter what, not even for mega bombs.

Uni might really be hoping Twisters will become the film everyone goes to, those that can't or don't want to see Deadpool. Those 2 will basically be the last 2 big summer films. Also Twisters will be getting a lot of business from Deadpool sellouts.

That certainly used to be true, but quite a few films have lost them this year.

Even A Quiet Place Day One lost some in its second weekend. 

5 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

Summer weekdays and market is fairly empty post Deadpool. I am not expecting anything to hit even 40m. 

Are you referring to OW?
Since 2001 every year (except 2020) has had an August movie grossing at least 100M DOM. It's possible this year we won't have a 100M grosser that opened in August, but I seriously doubt there wont be any movie over 40M.

In August we have seen many surprise hits. It's a month full of them: Crazy Rich Asians, We're the Millers, The Butler... Even something like Anabelle Creation managed to outgross first Anabelle movie despite being a prequel.

I'm sure there is also a surprise hit in this year's August. Probably, Trap or It ends with us.

26 minutes ago, stripe said:

Are you referring to OW?
Since 2001 every year (except 2020) has had an August movie grossing at least 100M DOM. It's possible this year we won't have a 100M grosser that opened in August, but I seriously doubt there wont be any movie over 40M.

In August we have seen many surprise hits. It's a month full of them: Crazy Rich Asians, We're the Millers, The Butler... Even something like Anabelle Creation managed to outgross first Anabelle movie despite being a prequel.

I'm sure there is also a surprise hit in this year's August. Probably, Trap or It ends with us.

Yeah, they're referring to OW. I personally think It Ends with Us will hit 100m DOM. Where the Crawdads Sing made 90M with poor reviews back in 2022, IEWU is tracking to open bigger and I think it'll have better reviews as well.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, CIDMoosa said:

Yeah, they're referring to OW. I personally think It Ends with Us will hit 100m DOM. Where the Crawdads Sing made 90M with poor reviews back in 2022, IEWU is tracking to open bigger and I think it'll have better reviews as well.

I hope so! It would be great to have yet another year with a 100M August grosser.

2023 - TMNT: MM
2022 - Bullet Train

2021 - Free Guy

2020 - covid

2019 - Hobbs & Shaw

2018 - The Meg / Crazy Rich Asians

2017 - Annabelle: Creation

2016 - Suicide Squad

2015 - Straight Outta Compton

2014 - GotG / TMNT

2013 - We're the Millers / The Butler

2012 - Bourne Legacy

2011 - Rise of the Planet of the Apes / The Help

2010 - The other guys / Expendables

2009 - Inglorious Basterds / District 9 / GI Joe

2008 - Tropic Thunder / The Mummy 3

2007 - Bourne Ultimatum / Rush Hour 3 / Superbad

2006 - Talladega Nights

2005 - 40 year old virgin

2004 - Collateral

2003 - SWAT / American Wedding / Freaky Friday

2002 - Signs / xXx

2001 - Rush Hour 2 / American Pie 2 / Princess Diaries

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

the original was a hit , a 50m+ opening was guaranteed  , decent trailers and Cruise endorsement =$$ , not too insane unless 70m+

Why would 70m be insane but 69m wouldn’t be? 

Looking at buzz and presales thread, a $50m opening actually wasn’t guaranteed at all, even at the beginning of this week. 

• Like 1