Eric the Marxist

DEADPOOL & WOLVERINE WEEKEND THREAD | 211 DOM, 233.1 OS, 444.1 WW | Disney does it again!

1 minute ago, AniNate said:

It's the same arguments over and over again. How many times do we have to relitigate the cinematic qualities of the MCU?

We don't, but it just happens. 

If we were able to have the same doom and gloom conversations about the box office even while Inside Out 2 was dominating the box office, then it shouldn't be surprising that we would have this conversation.

10 minutes ago, Dominic Draper said:

Deadpool and wolverine can barely even be called a movie. It's a collection of skits and cameos. It's like watching a kid hopped on sugar shove his funko collection in your face. It's one of the most shameless anti art, corporate pandering slop fests ever created.

Twisters is nothing special but it might as well be citizen kane next to that.

More kid gloves. :hahaha:

7 minutes ago, AniNate said:

It's the same arguments over and over again. How many times do we have to relitigate the cinematic qualities of the MCU?

The MCU is the one thing that we can say it dominated the entire movie industry for 16 years now. We just had a +200M OW for an Rated R marvel title. 

It’s more than expected that a forum will be broadly discussing MCU right now lol. Or do you think it wouldn’t be boring if it was 67 pages of people just saying “omg look at the big numbers they’re gorgeous” endlessly without anything to say about the movie or the franchise?

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Ryan C said:

We don't, but it just happens. 

If we were able to have the same doom and gloom conversations about the box office even while Inside Out 2 was dominating the box office, then it shouldn't be surprising that we would have this conversation.

Maybe we should stop doing that? Just a thought. If people truly have nothing new to say then I'd prefer that this weekend thread just go silent so I'm no longer disappointed when the thread title is in boldface again.

16 minutes ago, Dominic Draper said:

Deadpool and wolverine can barely even be called a movie. It's a collection of skits and cameos. It's like watching a kid hopped on sugar shove his funko collection in your face. It's one of the most shameless anti art, corporate pandering slop fests ever created.

Twisters is nothing special but it might as well be citizen kane next to that.

Skits and cameos don't preclude something from being called a movie.

You might not like them but D&W has pretty clear character arcs and structure, it can quite easily be called a movie and a good one at that.

• Like 9
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Maybe we should stop doing that? Just a thought. If people truly have nothing new to say then I'd prefer that this weekend thread just go silent so I'm no longer disappointed when the thread title is in boldface again.

I agree, but I've just come to expect that. 

Honestly, there's really only so much we could say about the numbers, especially since we make all our predictions and talk about where the film might possibly end up before Sunday. I genuinely feel like we say so much before the numbers come out that when they do, there's not a whole lot to say other than "That's amazing" or "That's terrible." 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Eric Wilson said:

Like I think both Jurassic World and Deadpool 3 are some of the worst movies to come out in the last few years, but I feel I can dog on Jurassic World all I want and say it's an affront to cinema with nobody caring

I care ...

Spoiler

But i mean critizising Jurassic World movies is totally fair (like any other franchise) as long as its not done in a way that insults people who actually enjoy watching them i think.

• Like 5

I do feel like no matter the franchise, you should read the room before you gleefully dog on it. If you're attacking marvel or Pixar in a marvel or Pixar weekend thread you are pretty much asking for a flame war, and you can't just hide behind "I can say what I want, it's you who's too sensitive"

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, wattage said:

Was that base salary??? Like right from the budget? Or does that include back end participations. Regardless that's insane he's about to get 100 mill off this next movie. 

All the info points towards a base salary but that seems too out there to me

so the big scandal on Film Twitter is that Deadpool 3 is taking up all the screens and pushing other movies out. While I kind of get where they are coming from, when you know that a big hyped movie is coming out, maybe don't schedule your film (especially if it is a smaller indie film) right before it and potentially not get enough screens?

Edited by John Marston
  • Like 2

Cassandra Nova was so damn hot in that movie 🥵😮‍💨. Certified baddie who's good with her hands. Might be one of the sexiest MCU villains next to Killmonger and Titania.

Edited by YM!
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

8 minutes ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

All the info points towards a base salary but that seems too out there to me

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around that as a base salary. The budget for the next movie is about to 400 million and 1/4 of it is gonna be his payday lol. Him as the character means a lot to the series and to fans so he knows his worth is what I'll say. He's gotta be swimming in it Scrooge style. 

1 hour ago, Eric Wilson said:

Like I think both Jurassic World and Deadpool 3 are some of the worst movies to come out in the last few years, but I feel I can dog on Jurassic World all I want and say it's an affront to cinema with nobody caring, but Deadpool is something I feel I got to treat with kid gloves

Jurassic World Dominion actually has a plot and structure though

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, AniNate said:

I do feel like no matter the franchise, you should read the room before you gleefully dog on it. If you're attacking marvel or Pixar in a marvel or Pixar weekend thread you are pretty much asking for a flame war, and you can't just hide behind "I can say what I want, it's you who's too sensitive"

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, John Marston said:

so the big scandal on Film Twitter is that Deadpool 3 is taking up all the screens and pushing other movies out. While I kind of get where they are coming from, when you know that a big hyped movie is coming out, maybe don't schedule your film (especially if it is a smaller indie film) right before it and potentially not get enough screens?

Yeah I remember certain Avenger movies having the entire month of May because nobody wanted to get steamrolled. 

I think the pushback is on arthouse theaters putting on Deadpool, not the conventional Regal/AMC types. 

He makes it clear he doesn't blame the theaters for this.

23 minutes ago, John Marston said:

I like how quickly it's gone from "There's room for everyone, it's all fair" to "Just don't get in the big dog's way, let it hog up any amount of space it wants". Why is it the movie that's already guaranteed to make obscene amounts of money anyway that needs to be additionally accommodated? It's exactly the kind of practice that led us to this rich-get-richer, poor-get-poorer situation in the box office in the first place.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1