Eric Deetz

DEADPOOL & WOLVERINE WEEKEND THREAD | 211 DOM, 233.1 OS, 444.1 WW | Disney does it again!

2 minutes ago, Eric Wilson said:

Missed you bb. You were always one of my faves ❤️ 

I got really burned out around the flash release but this weekend got me thinking about this place and how much I missed some of you guys and being here. 

Edited by cax16
  • Like 1
  • Heart 1

4 minutes ago, cax16 said:

I got really burned out around the flash release but this weekend got me thinking about this place and how much I missed some of you guys and being here. 

You better be around when Superman makes a bazillion dollars. Those set photos? I'm convinced it's gonna be a masterpiece.

• Like 1

https://deadline.com/2024/07/box-office-deadpool-wolverine-1236022761/

EXCLUSIVE: Moments before Deadpool & Wolverine‘s Ryan Reynolds, Hugh Jackman, filmmaker Shawn Levy and Marvel Studios Boss Kevin Feige take the stage tonight at San Diego Comic-Con‘s Hall H, we can tell you first per myriad box office sources that the R-rated movie is headed to a record preview night for the rating of $35M at this minute. Now, it could very well go over and wind up north of $40M+ by AM, which wouldn’t be shocking as bawdy movies play late into the night.

Just now, Eric Wilson said:

You better be around when Superman makes a bazillion dollars. Those set photos? I'm convinced it's gonna be a masterpiece.

I’ve loved everything I’ve seen from the set, I haven’t been this excited for a movie in a long time. I really hope it does well if Gunn delivers. 

• Like 3

Assuming decent holds and D&W preforms as we hope, this weekend should land in the top 10 for overall highest gross. $200M for Deadpool and 50% hold across the rest delivers $274M, which just breaks it into the top 10, bumping Jurassic World weekend from 2015. As Deadpool gets higher, it puts the goal of $282M in play to make it the second highest grossing weekend post pandemic, ahead of NWH, and below Barbenheimmer.

Something to watch outside the pure Deadpool gross.

• Like 2

Watched a 3pm IMAX showing. The story doesn't make a lick of sense; however it doesn't need to as the film is wildly entertaining. The action scenes were great. There were several funny moments and lines. The music and songs were all used perfectly. The cameos were the icing on the cake. This is the rare film where the critics and audiences may disagree but both are correct in their final assessments.

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, AniNate said:

I will be happy to not have to hear "Twisters is gonna be destroyed" anymore. Definitely doesn't look like it is at my nearby theaters

Ah just last week when many of us were still saying how Universal really screwed the pooch by releasing it the week before DP and W. Have never been so happy to be wrong.  Even better that right now is proving that people want to go to the movie theaters  when there are movies they want to see. It's that simple. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, vafrow said:

Assuming decent holds and D&W preforms as we hope, this weekend should land in the top 10 for overall highest gross. $200M for Deadpool and 50% hold across the rest delivers $274M, which just breaks it into the top 10, bumping Jurassic World weekend from 2015. As Deadpool gets higher, it puts the goal of $282M in play to make it the second highest grossing weekend post pandemic, ahead of NWH, and below Barbenheimmer.

I feel like we might see a lot of great holds this weekend tbh. I've said my piece on Twisters already but Inside Out and Despicable Me should also benefit nicely from sneak-ins split family outings

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, cax16 said:

I’ve loved everything I’ve seen from the set, I haven’t been this excited for a movie in a long time. I really hope it does well if Gunn delivers. 

Would be amazing if it was the breakout hit of next summer. Superman deserves a movie that hits the zeitgeist again.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, vafrow said:

775 for July so far, about 16m thursday, and with the M-W ratio that the weekdays following Thor4's opening had this july should end up right on top of 2022's July, $1150m or so.

Edited by MattW
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

Ah just last week when many of us were still saying how Universal really screwed the pooch by releasing it the week before DP and W. Have never been so happy to be wrong.  Even better that right now is proving that people want to go to the movie theaters  when there are movies they want to see. It's that simple. 

I mean it’s still going to be hit hard by losing screens. Still would have been smarter to release it earlier or after 

6 minutes ago, John Marston said:

I mean it’s still going to be hit hard by losing screens. Still would have been smarter to release it earlier or after 

You probably care more about that than Universal does. They look to have two really big hits this month and Twisters has a clear road until at least Beetlejuice after this weekend, and it may very well gain those screens back given the popularity of the 4DX format still

In any case it's very much a far cry from the "destroy" melodramatics you and others kept insisting on.

Edited by AniNate

1) Logan/Deadpool (tied)

3) Deadpool & Wolverine

4) Deadpool 2

Deadpool 3 is kind of weak the first half but it has some higher peaks during the second half that were more memorable than anything from Deadpool 2 which just exists.

I still love DP1 and Logan though.

Let twisters be past, it's Deadpool & Wolverine time.

It's going to do well in domestic, overseas is woeful, overall it shall do well. 

But..... Big thing is that it's Deadpool & Wolverine Day.