kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers [Aug 02 - Aug 04, 2024] | Actuals | 96.81M DEADPOOL & WOLVERINE | 22.80M TWISTERS | 15.45M TRAP

Anthony's getting saucy in his Sunday updates (https://deadline.com/2024/08/box-office-deadpool-wolverine-second-weekend-trap-1236030041/ ) --

It’s funny, even in boom times at the box office, the entertainment media can be cynical, saying that few films work at the box office and that theatrical is still broken. That’s horse shit: This was the third highest grossing weekend of the year at the box office with an estimated $173M after the D&W led frame last weekend of $284.8M and Inside Out 2‘s weekend of June 14-16 ($213.9M) per Box Office Mojo.

Do you kiss your mother with that mouth, Anthony?

I hate Tony Soprano's mom. : r/thesopranos

Edited by Jerri Blank-Diggler
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, Eric is Trapped said:

Alien will probably stop its run, but is beating out Everything Everywhere (77.2M) still a possibility?

Will probably end with 75M.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Evidently most families still preferred to watch Inside Out / Despicable Me again.

I think Transformers would've been better off releasing this weekend and bullying Harold out, especially given they were apparently confident enough in it already to show it off at SDCC.

Was it shown in full? It definitely seems like it could have filled the same role as TMNT last year. If it was ready to go, it would have been a good fit. Perfect for older kids since they generally aren't being taken to Deadpool (although, i definitely saw some younger audience members when I went).

And yes, this was a failure, but it's just a badly conceived film from the get go. It would be a failure on Netflix as well. It'll probably do better on Netflix given it got the theatrical push.

We've got a fairly busy, but very offbeat kids calendar between now and Moana. We've got Ryan's World this month, which seems like a longshot of an experiment, but I'm guessing ads are exclusive to cheap YouTube kids ads. September has two interesting projects with Transformers and Wild Robot. October has the Pharell Williams Lego movie.

Last year, there was only Paw Patrol during that stretch.

30 minutes ago, Eric is Trapped said:

Ready for the 100M second weekend to come in with actuals lmao

I could definitely see it I'll go up to 99. Don't think itll hit 100 but it's going to be close

That DP and W hold is kind of insane. A R rated movie possibly having a second weekend of 100 million is crazy. Everybody is looking for the new Barbenheimer maybe it will be next week with It Ends with Deadpool and Wolverine.=)  How big will the breakout be for It ends with us and how good will that 3rd weekend be for DP and W. No matter what it will be a good weekend in that household.,

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, baumer said:

I could definitely see it I'll go up to 99. Don't think itll hit 100 but it's going to be close

Well if it only reaches 99, I guess Ryan Reynolds is out of a job. How sad.

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, rihrey said:

Inside Out 2 just needs about $110M more to take down 2019's The Lion King.

Even more so than the battle for the 2024 domestic between this and Deadpool & Wolverine, this is gonna be a really tight race. 

If this happens, I cannot wait for this whole debate on whether The Lion King remake is an animated film or not to die out like the dinosaurs. It'll be almost completely irrevelant if Inside Out 2 manages to gross more than $1.665B.

• Like 1
  • Heart 1