ViewerAnon

ALIEN: ROMULUS | Spoiler Discussion Thread | ***SPOILERS***

I just want to whine about some stuff and I’m gonna use Borys Kit’s tweet as a jumping off point because it confuses me. Not that he likes the movie - it’s aggressively fine when it’s not stepping on a rake and smacking itself in the face - but one particular line…

Borys-Kit-1.jpg

”never feels like it’s pandering to nostalgia or fan service"

Ian Holm is digitally resurrected (badly) and may have more lines than in the original ALIEN, he’s in this a lot. He says “I can’t lie to you about your chances, but you have my sympathies” again.

After killing an alien someone actually says “Get away from her, you bitch!” (Not to mention stray callbacks like “I prefer the term artificial person myself”)

The last act is ripped wholesale from ALIEN: RESURRECTION. 

The movie is nothing but callbacks and fan service.

Edited by ViewerAnon
  • Astonished 1
  • Sad 3
  • Knock It Off 1

5 hours ago, Firepower said:

Sounds really bad and I think Borys is dishonest here if the movie is made entirely from parts of previous films.

Let's be real you'd say it sounded really bad no matter what. Shtick is old

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, SaltyPistola said:

Let's be real you'd say it sounded really bad no matter what. Shtick is old

Let's be real it sounds really bad no matter what I think, unless you love poorly done digital dead actors repeating their iconic lines for cheap nostalgia points.

Edited by Firepower

7 hours ago, ViewerAnon said:

I just want to whine about some stuff and I’m gonna use Borys Kit’s tweet as a jumping off point because it confuses me. Not that he likes the movie - it’s aggressively fine when it’s not stepping on a rake and smacking itself in the face - but one particular line…

Borys-Kit-1.jpg

”never feels like it’s pandering to nostalgia or fan service"

Ian Holm is digitally resurrected (badly) and may have more lines than in the original ALIEN, he’s in this a lot. He says “I can’t lie to you about your chances, but you have my sympathies” again.

After killing an alien someone actually says “Get away from her, you bitch!” (Not to mention stray callbacks like “I prefer the term artificial person myself”)

The last act is ripped wholesale from ALIEN: RESURRECTION. 

The movie is nothing but callbacks and fan service.

How many bloggers called it "a love letter to the Alien franchise" so far?

Edited by JustLurking

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, John Marston said:

Any connections to the Prometheus movies?

Yes, the black goo is back. Plus one other thing that’s a major spoiler (not Fassbender)

Edited by ViewerAnon

Dull first 45 minutes, then starts to pick up and goes all out during the last 45 minutes or so. Nothing new. Paint by numbers characters and not that fresh, but still a fun ride. 3/5

Something that happens in the last 15 minutes won't be for everyone but I appreciated it. 

• Like 3

I will preface this by saying I'm new to the franchise and have only seen Alien and Aliens (though I do know some stuff about the other ones).

I really loved this movie. Just a great time. Sure some unessary callbacks, but whatever. I didn't even notice that the damaged synthetic had the same face as the guy in Alien 1. (which probably proofs that they could have just used a new actor.)

• Like 7

I enjoyed it. I'm a casual but not huge fan of the series — I've never seen Resurrection and it's been awhile since I watched the other non-prequels — but I had a fun time. It def did veer into fan-servicey a bit too frequently for even me, but it never ruined it for me and I was never bored watching it. 

And FWIW my entire theatre applauded at the 'get away from her, you.... bitch' line, so. Lol.

Edited by Taylor

When the electro alien caught Cailee Spainy in the elevator I had a split second kinda horrified/kinda excited thought: “Did the black goo turn Isabella Merced into an alien and now there’s a good alien???”

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Just came back from watching the movie.

im all for fan service as i love Alien, Aliens and yes even Prometheus but this film  much like Rise of Skywalker was a blatant check the boxes to appease the fanbase. 

hell even Coventant was more memorable than this

alien film rankings (excluding the AvP films)

1.) Alien

2.) Aliens

3.) Prometheus 

4.) Covenant

5.) Romulus

6.) Alien 3

7.) Resurrection

Edited by Megajohn01
Grammar error

I feel like the fan service claims have been mostly over exaggerated. I say mostly because they go too far with the line call backs in the third act, and yes, CGI Ian Holm is a huge no no that brought a lot of points down for me. But some of the other stuff, I feel like we gotta draw a distinction between stuff from previous movies being in the plot and homages. There is a huge difference between the black goo from Prometheus playing a role in the film and someone saying “Get away from her you bitch.”

in general, it works. The cast does a good job and I appreciate its thematic angle on how new generations can make similar mistakes to their parents in an effort to break a cycle. The action sequences are great too, and it’s very well paced too.

i will say also the Alien 3 homage with the opening logo did get a kick out of me. That’s one homage I’ll allow.

On the ranking, I’ll put it below the first three and possibly below Covenant because, again, CGI Ian Holm. We’ll see how it fares on rewatch but for now I feel comfortable calling it a good movie.

• Like 1

I liked the last 20 minutes of this even though it was basically just a redo of Prometheus birthing scene + final 15 minutes of Alien Covenant (both of which are done better in those films), mainly cuz of the human-xenomorph hybrid. The shot of the baby inside the pod probably the freakiest image in the whole movie.

Honestly, I’d have been ok with Rook being in this movie if they used an animatronic or something (have him look more burnt, where his face is only barely recognizable).

• Like 1