AniNate

JUICY WEEKEND - BJBJ releases with $111M (DHD)

My oldest 2 (who saw the original) and the boyfriend (who didn't) said Beetlejuice 2 is absolutely nuts.  They can't tell you if they liked it or not, but they can say no one stopped Burton from anything he wanted to do.  This was said in the best and the worst ways...

Now, they were talking up a storm coming in, so it's definitely gonna buzz somehow...

Edited by TwoMisfits

Blumhouse is having such an embarrassing year. Not even box office wise, mainly quality wise.

The amount of trash being put out is just insane. 0 consistency. Just the most...AI produced...cheap ass content with seemingly no effort.

Dude is so fucking overrated.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

My oldest 2 (who saw the original) and the boyfriend (who didn't) said Beetlejuice 2 is absolutely nuts.  They can't tell you if they liked it or not, but they can say no one stopped Burton from anything he wanted to do.  This was said in the best and the worst ways...

Now, they were talking up a storm coming in, so it's definitely gonna buzz somehow...

They must remember the newish Burton and not his prime because while it has some wonderful flourishes of what he excels more so than anything he's done in a long, long while, it's pretty tame mostly. Easy for a family to digest if their kids ain't soft.

It's kinda Beetlejuice (obviously), Wednesday (annoyingly and unfortunately) and Mar Attacks! (surprisingly and wonderfully) and Dark Shadows (ugh!) all wrapped in one. It's not even close to the miracle that original is but it is, mostly, a big smile and a pretty damn fun time once it gets rolling.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Avatree said:

Wow. 100M opening is crazy for a film I’ve never heard anyone talk about or reference. I thought this would open to like 40M.

Beetlejuice seems to be a relatively popular brand.

In my case, I remember to see the cartoon first.

Edited by Kon
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Also, 100M+ OW DOM for a Beetlejuice sequel is insane. This is especially considering that it's the NFL's opening weekend too which may lead to some stronger than expected weekdays and a decent hold next weekend. NFL OW is insanely big stateside.

I don't really think the NFL is gonna affect the opening weekend for Beetlejuice that much. 

Maybe it'll take some business away, but with this movie having a strong family appeal (they usually see the movie before the games would start), I feel like that won't be much of a concern. 

I see nothing to be disappointed about for this opening, especially since it seems as if it's going to play more like a family film on some level. Considering for the longest time I felt as if this was destined for similar numbers to what the recent Ghostbusters movies made, becoming only the second September movie ever to open over $100M is quite the achievement.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AnthonyJPHer said:

I’m kind of surprised at the doom posting. Like, I think people got carried away with 140m+ opening weekend predictions and beating IT (2017) but this is an incredibly good opening.

It’s literally the third biggest domestic opening of the year only behind Deadpool & Wolverine Inside Out 2, and above Dune 2, Twisters, Apes, Godzilla x Kong, etc. And it’s a modern-day Burton film. There should be no disappointment at all.

Between this and Wednesday, Jenna Ortega really brought back his spark.

• Like 2