Krissykins

Weekend Thread Sept 20th-22nd

I think it’s very likely that IO2 will still pass JW if you look at the late runs of e.g. I2, TS4, Dory. Probably add 400k-1M ish without any particularly strong push, remaining in a small number of theaters til early Dec. If it’s like 100k short when Moana is coming out it’s breeze to attach a little

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cooper Legion said:

I think it’s very likely that IO2 will still pass JW if you look at the late runs of e.g. I2, TS4, Dory. Probably add 400k-1M ish without any particularly strong push, remaining in a small number of theaters til early Dec. If it’s like 100k short when Moana is coming out it’s breeze to attach a little

It's coming out to Disney+ September 25th, it's not passing $653,406,625.

And even if we go with the "but original release" cope, then Jurassic World is still at #10 because Titanic is only ahead of JW because it cheated

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RichWS said:

I'll maintain a big reason Transformers failed is the animation style looks awful and it was off-putting to the general audience. I saw the trailer before Beetlejuice and all I could think is who the hell thought that style was a good idea. Maybe it would work for a streaming series, but not for a major release.

Lord of the Rings cartoon is gonna flop for the same reason. Even among anime it looks more Netflix than cinema standard.

• Like 9

I saw data and i figure that this decade despite COVID that we have several months that we have a movie of top 3 all time for this month

April : Mario : 3rd ( after the last two avengers)

May : Top Gun Maverick 1st

June : IO2 : 2nd after Jurassic World

July : Barbie 1st and D&W 2nd ( with chance to switch)

September : BeetleJuice 2 2nd (After It) and Shang Chi 3rd

November : Black Panther 2 2nd after Frozen 2

December : NWH 2nd after Star Wars 7 , the GOAT of BO US

I think Moana 2 has a good chance to be in the top 3 ( 3rd : HG Catching Fire : 424M)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

Lord of the Rings cartoon is gonna flop for the same reason. Even among anime it looks more Netflix than cinema standard.

Huge groan when the trailer came on at Beetlejuice. People were excited until they realized it was animated. 

Literally, the ENTIRE theater.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

Just now, DAJK said:

Huge groan when the trailer came on at Beetlejuice. People were excited until they realized it was animated. 

this is also why the Spider-Verse movies don't make as much as live-action Spider-Man.

1 hour ago, RichWS said:

I'll maintain a big reason Transformers failed is the animation style looks awful and it was off-putting to the general audience. I saw the trailer before Beetlejuice and all I could think is who the hell thought that style was a good idea. Maybe it would work for a streaming series, but not for a major release.

I don''t know what would be a good animation style for it. 100% bayformers? That would be a nightmare budget-wise.

8 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

And even if we go with the "but original release" cope, then Jurassic World is still at #10 because Titanic is only ahead of JW because it cheated

Dude, re-releases aren’t cheating. They happen all the time and if people want to see a re-release they will. 

• Like 3

Honestly I thought the Transformers animation looked pretty good. Both when the trailers dropped and within the movie itself. Nothing groundbreaking or anything, and maybe they should have copied the Spider-Verse style people love so much, but it was certainly theater-worthy IMO. Like have you seen Transformers CGI on a TV budget? This came out like a year ago.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Such a weird marketing strategy. You're gonna remind us of the thing we like, making us think we're getting a sequel to the thing we know, only to show us something that looks literally nothing like it. Like imagine if the first trailer for Spider-Verse came out, they were showing off footage from the Maguire movies or even Homecoming, and then you cut to a cartoon thing that has nothing to do with it. You can't help but feel catfished.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, cinema pal said:

The Substance numbers are bad no matter how people try to spin it. It had almost 2000 theatres. Marketing  failed. Where are Neon when we need them ? If someone  told me last year that the third movie of Oz Perkins will make 100 M I would have loughed. But here we are. 

Yeah, Substance #s are bad. Longlegs was sold on "the scariest movie of the year." Substance was sold on images of....a chicken leg? A leotard? A sewn-up woman's back? It's not a scary movie so it never had a chance to break out but teasing a mystery with esoteric symbol isn't gonna work in a world where the 0/5 "movie" Deadpool & Wolverine does $600m+. Marketing has to account for the stupidity and bad taste of the general audience. 

Edited by Flopped
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

one thing Titanic can never be accused of is cheating. That movie is bigger than anything above it by default. 

5 minutes ago, Flopped said:

Yeah, Substance #s are bad. Longlegs was sold on "the scariest movie of the year." Substance was sold on images of....a chicken leg? A leotard? A sewn-up woman's back? It's not a scary movie so it never had a chance to break out but teasing a mystery with esoteric symbol isn't gonna work in a world where the 0/5 "movie" Deadpool & Wolverine does $600m+. Marketing has to account for the stupidity and bad taste of the general audience. 

Fwiw, I'm already seeing TikToks with a lot of engagement stating things like "omgggg y'all this was the most disgusting thing i've ever seen", so maybe (hopefully) that type of WOM can lead to solid legs?

Edited by filmpalace
  • Like 1