Krissykins

Weekend Thread Sept 20th-22nd

33 minutes ago, Flopped said:

Universal dumping The Substance (4.5/5) while keeping (and marketing heavily) expensive bombs like Renfield (1/5), Demeter (2/5) and Abigail (2.5/5) was a choice. 

Abigail was so disappointing. 

Ready or Not is truly a gem, Samara did god’s work on that movie. 

But after that i can’t say if Radio Silence was actually good directors. Scream 5 was a coward pseudo-smart requel, Scream 6 is a decent movie but also without any of the charm Craven did so easily … and then Abigail was straight up flat, even with all the fun CGI blood exploding. 

Very disappointing to follow them so far.

13 hours ago, emoviefan said:

Oceans 11 was only 23 years ago.But it is what it is. The reviews say it is a decent passable watch but it's no Oceans Eleven and in this current theatrical marketplace that is just not good enough to get that 35+ audience off their ass to the theater to spend 10+ dollars a ticket.

Laughs in NYC-ese

Howl's Moving Castle is coming out next week but I'm taking a pass on a $20+ ticket when I already own it.  $10 and I wouldn't think twice.

I'm going to beat the staggered ticket price drum until I die or theaters go out of business.

10 hours ago, miketheavenger said:

I don't know if Formula 1 is big in the US (seemingly it isn't), but I think that film could make a lot of money overseas if it's good. Especially since the current actual drivers are supposedly in it.

Here in Germany F1 is still very popular even though there are no good German drivers anymore.

It’s definitely niche in the US, but with the Miami and now Vegas F1 races it has exploded in cool factor with influencer culture so I guess that’s who the marketing will try to leverage to the max. Bet everything on the coastal elites and cross fingers.

but yeah popularity in a lot of European markets coupled with the fact that star power has way more effect over there could mean that a disaster is avoidable.

2 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

Yeah it’s a bad feeling to have while watching but weirdly it’s fun to experience it too.

I watched with my husband, our jaws dropped during the entire climax while the audience was laughing hard of discomfort. It’s this type of collective experience that a home view will never provide, and it’s even better because it ‘s an original movie so you’re not really prepared for it.

Absolutely agree about the collective experience. The audience laughs during The Substance’s last half hour were next level. 

It’s a shame it’ll be going to MUBI only, as it will probably be unable to get seen by the amount of people it deserves. 

• Like 1