filmpalace

Weekend Thread | October 11 - 13

Wonder Woman 1984 still has the biggest DOM drop off for a DC sequel, if we compare DC films and their sequels in general. First WW made $412M, while its sequel made a pretty low $46M, with a better reception than Joker 2 mind you. Granted, WW-1984 came out in a different time where the pandemic was still a thing, but still…a pretty nasty drop from a first film. 😬👩🏻‍💼

• ...wtf 1

1 minute ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

Wonder Woman 1984 still has the biggest DOM drop off for a DC sequel, if we compare DC films and their sequels in general. First WW made $412M, while its sequel made a pretty low $46M, with a better reception than Joker 2 mind you. Granted, WW-1984 came out in a different time where the pandemic was still a thing, but still…a pretty nasty drop from a first film. 😬👩🏻‍💼

Not fair to use a movie that released in December 2020. In normal times it probably would've made around $275M DOM

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

Yeh nah. Only 40% of cinemas were open for WW84 and they were also at 50% capacity with a roaring pandemic and no vaccine. And it was available at home. 

We’re not doing that. 

Edited by Krissykins
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

I know this is a disaster, but is 57M really the trajectory?

It is not unfeasible. Halloween Ends made 8m on its 2nd weekend after dropping 80%. It made 10m more in the remainder of its run but it had Halloween cushioning its 3rd weekend and Monday. So it is possible for Joker to only make about 6m more in its run. But I think a total closer to 59m-60m is more likely.

5 minutes ago, AdamKendall said:

Joker 7.06

Beetlejuice Beetlejuice 7.05

Hmm ... doubt. lol

Yeah same here, we'll see the positions reverse with actuals

• Like 2

If you told me 2 months ago that joker FD second weekend would  barely match Beetlejuice 6th weekend . Absolute insanity.

Though bettle juice  would do 225-250m at best and had joker 2 at 400m+.

Beetlejuice is going to make roughly 6x Joker domestic take.

Post COVID market has been quite ruthless to movies with toxic wom.

If this came out like in 2021/2022 it wouldnt have done this bad. 

34 minutes ago, Eric the Clown said:

Very curious how that pitch went. Was Pharrell just bored? Did Lego need a celebrity endorsement? The math ain’t mathing

I believe on an episode of the Blank Check podcast one of the hosts was theorizing that since Universal bought the film rights for LEGO back in 2020 for five years, but couldn't make any continuations of the previous LEGO movies since those characters were still owned by WB, they were desperately looking for something to use it on and ultimately settled on...this. The first portion of that at least matches up with what's on Wikipedia, so it wouldn't surprise me.

• Haha 3

13 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Absolutely incredible for Terrifier 3. 

One of the top box office stories of the year. 

Lowkey might be my favorite box office story of the year. Can't wait to see how the fourth movie will do.

Edited by filmpalace
  • Like 1