Neo

Mowgli: Legend of the Jungle | Nov 29 2018 (LA, NY), Dec 7 (Netflix) | Bale, Blanchett, Cumberbatch & Naomie Harris confirmed

Just now, grim22 said:

This is a shocker. Especially considering the movie was filmed to be seen in 3D on the big screen like a Gravity. Wonder how Serkis feels.

I feel bad for him. This thing was cursed from the moment the Disney film struck big, had the film been in pre-production instead of already being made, WB would've most likely cancelled it.

• Like 1

Guess the TJB comparisons were too much for them to release this in theatres. Now my only concern is that this movie was specifically made to release in theatres that's why there was so much hoopla over motion capture , don't think I'll enjoy it much on streaming platform. Remains to be seen though.

Great coup for Netflix BTW.

This is what Serkis said :-

“I’m really excited about Netflix for Mowgli,” Serkis said. “Now, we avoid comparisons to the other movie and it’s a relief not to have the pressure. I’ve seen the 3D version, and it’s exceptional, a different view from the 2D version, really lush and with great depth, and there will be some kind of theatrical component for that. What excites me most is the forward thinking at Netflix in how to present this, and the message of the movie. They understand this is a darker telling that doesn’t fit it into a four quadrant slot. It’s really not meant for young kids, though I think it’s possible that 10 or above can watch it. It was always meant to be PG-13, and this allows us to go deeper, with darker themes, to be scary and frightening in moments. The violence between animals is not gratuitous, but it’s definitely there. This way of going allows us to get the film out without compromise.

“I think this is their largest acquisition, it’s a big movie,” Serkis said. “But I never looked at it as a big blockbuster movie. It’s hard to quantify. It has the scale of a blockbuster, but it’s somewhere between Life of Pi and an Apes movie. It has that reality to it, same as Okja had. We are talking about 2019 and circling dates. Netflix has allowed the film making that I wanted to do, to exist and they’ve created an atmosphere for me kind of storytelling I set out to do. “

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, oMeriMombatti said:

Guess the TJB comparisons were too much for them to release this in theatres. Now my only concern is that this movie was specifically made to release in theatres that's why there was so much hoopla over motion capture , don't think I'll enjoy it much on streaming platform. Remains to be seen though.

Great coup for Netflix BTW.

This is what Serkis said :-

“I’m really excited about Netflix for Mowgli,” Serkis said. “Now, we avoid comparisons to the other movie and it’s a relief not to have the pressure. I’ve seen the 3D version, and it’s exceptional, a different view from the 2D version, really lush and with great depth, and there will be some kind of theatrical component for that. What excites me most is the forward thinking at Netflix in how to present this, and the message of the movie. They understand this is a darker telling that doesn’t fit it into a four quadrant slot. It’s really not meant for young kids, though I think it’s possible that 10 or above can watch it. It was always meant to be PG-13, and this allows us to go deeper, with darker themes, to be scary and frightening in moments. The violence between animals is not gratuitous, but it’s definitely there. This way of going allows us to get the film out without compromise.

“I think this is their largest acquisition, it’s a big movie,” Serkis said. “But I never looked at it as a big blockbuster movie. It’s hard to quantify. It has the scale of a blockbuster, but it’s somewhere between Life of Pi and an Apes movie. It has that reality to it, same as Okja had. We are talking about 2019 and circling dates. Netflix has allowed the film making that I wanted to do, to exist and they’ve created an atmosphere for me kind of storytelling I set out to do. “

Well, at least he seems to be in good spirits about it. This is such a big and unprecedented acquisition for Netflix. Can't help but wonder if more like it are on the way.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, grim22 said:

This is a shocker. Especially considering the movie was filmed to be seen in 3D on the big screen like a Gravity. Wonder how Serkis feels.

the interview (and the post above) explains. 

Between this (especially the 3D element which Serkis still wants to keep), Irishman and Roma coming so close to each other looks like Netflix are getting serious about theatrical

• Like 1

That’s disappointing to hear, but I guess I can’t say it’s particuarly shocking. No matter how good or bad the movie ends up being, it was always going to have the misfortune of being released so soon after the Jon Favreau film (which I personally didn’t care for). I’m still hoping for a theatrical release of some kind, but I’m not holding my breath. 

8 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Well, at least he seems to be in good spirits about it. This is such a big and unprecedented acquisition for Netflix. Can't help but wonder if more like it are on the way.

We are moving quickly to superheroes, animation and big IPs only onscreen. Everything else at Netflix/Amazon.

• Sad 2

Just now, grim22 said:

We are moving quickly to superheroes, animation and big IPs only onscreen. Everything else at Netflix/Amazon.

If the "rumors" that New Mutants and Dark Phoenix are headed this route end up becoming true the Internet will literally explode.

6 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

If this is the future of cinema, then holy shit do I not want this to happen.

From the very beginning of this year, I was worried that we would soon get to a point where the only movies that would get theatrical releases would be Disney films. Unfortunately, that’s starting to seem more and more likely. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

From the very beginning of this year, I was worried that we would soon get to a point where the only movies that would get theatrical releases would be Disney films. Unfortunately, that’s starting to seem more and more likely. 

Cloud Atlas really was onto something.

• Like 1