Shawn Robbins

May 4, 2012 Weekend (AVENGERS Opening Discussion): ACTUAL 207.4 mill!!!!

I know!! But if the projectionist decides to save some money on those bulbs then I'm screwed!!!

Think I'll risk it though. By far my most anticipated film of the summer. Need to see it as early as possible so will be going at midnight.

What do you mean by that?

It was the equivalent when it came out though. Except it was much bigger.

I guess I'm more talking about the feeling of how huge it was.

The only ones I can think of that touched it were Independence Day and Dark Knight. Phantom Menace too obviously, but that was a bit different.

Oh definately, bigger even.

Like what, Battleship? The movie that's only made 200 million at the box office in the past month it's been released overseas?

Let me put it this way. Avatar didn't have a film as big as Men in Black 3 to compete with in it's 4th weekend. It also didn't have a ton of major summer comedies, a Tim Burton big budget Johnny Depp starrer, an FX filled Transformers wannabe in Battleship (btw I've seen it - it's pretty terrible). See what I'm getting at? If Avengers had a chance at $600 million it would need a marketplace relatively to itself. Which it emphatically won't. Audiences will just move on to the next ride. Summer is all about how big you can open before the next mega budget picture opens.

Spoiler tags please. And the flying monkeys was a reference to /Cap's

The Wizard of OZ one thing Cap was finally familiar with because of Cap's time period.

Oops, sorry, I forgot. I'm on my phone. Not even sure how to do that on it. I forgot about that Wizard of Oz reference.

Let me put it this way. Avatar didn't have a film as big as Men in Black 3 to compete with in it's 4th weekend. It also didn't have a ton of major summer comedies, a Tim Burton big budget Johnny Depp starrer, an FX filled Transformers wannabe in Battleship (btw I've seen it - it's pretty terrible).See what I'm getting at? If Avengers had a chance at $600 million it would need a marketplace relatively to itself. Which it emphatically won't. Audiences will just move on to the next ride.Summer is all about how big you can open before the next mega budget picture opens.

AVATAR had 2 200mil+ grossing films to compete with from its 2ND weekend!, no one can say it didn't have competiton.

Oops, sorry, I forgot. I'm on my phone. Not even sure how to do that on it.I forgot about that Wizard of Oz reference.

junkshop36 :whip: Estacy

AVATAR had 2 200mil+ grossing films to compete with from its 2ND weekend!, no one can say it didn't have competiton.

Yeah but it had barely got started at that point. Avengers is already at almost $210 million. Avatar faced Sherlock and Chipmunks 2 in its second weekend, but there wasn't much that opened after that. My point is if it's going to go near $600 million it can't have massive event movies opening every week. Which it has.