Shawn Robbins

May 4, 2012 Weekend (AVENGERS Opening Discussion): ACTUAL 207.4 mill!!!!

The only film in 2013 that has a chance to break the OW record is Catching Fire IMO and I don't think it will break the record. Whoever holds the record by the end of the Summer will have it until at least 2014.TASM2 has a chance only if TASM is like the Batman Begins of the franchise and is very well received which is unlikely IMO.Whether it's TA, TDKR or DH2, whoever has the record is going to have it for a while and I bet that record will last until at least 2015.

yeah that an epic flame war and it pretty much was because of TF3 not opening well domestically and then the TF fanboys going nuts over the overseas numbers.About the record, TDKR will break it no doubt...

Edited by Lordmandeep

Excellent number and $160m ow is huge (glad I stuck with my $161.5m). Wish Mav was still here with his locked for $170m bs though. Also, where is BKB with his $200m ow? Anyway, awesome ow for a great, fun, entertaining movie, and should hit $400m...but will get owned by TDKR come July :P

Edited by FTF

The only film in 2013 that has a chance to break the OW record is Catching Fire IMO and I don't think it will break the record. Whoever holds the record by the end of the Summer will have it until at least 2014.TASM2 has a chance only if TASM is like the Batman Begins of the franchise and is very well received which is unlikely IMO.Whether it's TA, TDKR or DH2, whoever has the record is going to have it for a while and I bet that record will last until at least 2015.

As long as the new record is below 180m, I think Catching Fire has a good chance of breaking it. I know it's a huge number but it's only an 18% increase, and the WOM from Hunger Games is good enough to do that.

yeah I go with Box office Guru number of 68 million and it should get around 160 million and likley top 400 million with that.Nikkie sees a 160 million weekend as of now BTW.

Edited by Lordmandeep

Yeah, CF will have no shot. TDKR will be 190m +/- 10m. It's all but confirmed CF won't have 3D (thank god), and well... is it possible to increase from that THG opening? I really don't know..

About Saturday...All indications are epic business.Some imax sellouts for tomorrow.1;30 pm show is around 70%4:30 around 60% full7:40 is around 75 % fullI would be shocked if it did not get around 51+ million.

Edited by Lordmandeep

I don't think Catching Fire would increase much and probably won't increase at all over THG OW.I think TDKR will take it and will hold it for at least as long as TDK did.

Yeah, CF will have no shot. TDKR will be 190m +/- 10m. It's all but confirmed CF won't have 3D (thank god), and well... is it possible to increase from that THG opening? I really don't know..

I'd bet money on Catching Fire breaking the OW record, unless Rises does something really inconceivable(like, $220+m). We've seen how fantastic the late legs have been for THG, which signifies it's got some really good WOM. And if it got the same percentage increase as Iron man 1 to 2, that's good for $190m.$200m is certainly in the cards for it. Edited by Biggestgeekever

I don't think Catching Fire would increase much and probably won't increase at all over THG OW.I think TDKR will take it and will hold it for at least as long as TDK did.

Why wouldn't it increase OW? Total not increasing I can see, but as a sequel to a well received movie that's currently still selling many copies of the book every day I have a hard time seeing why it wouldn't increase OW.

I'd bet money on Catching Fire breaking the OW record, unless Rises does something really inconceivable(like, $220+m). We've seen how fantastic the late legs have been for THG, which signifies it's got some really good WOM. And if it got the same percentage increase as Iron man 1 to 2, that's good for $190m.$200m is certainly in the cards for it.

I just have a feeling it will be more like the first two Potters, where the fever pitch happened in the first movie and then it decreased... It seems like it would be impossible to match that hype of the first OW... but we'll see.

I don't think people realise just how big THG opening was and how hard it will be for CF to top that. It has no chance in hell of making 190-200M.

It ain't gonna get the same percentage increase as IM1 to IM2. No way in hell, unless of course they stick it in 3D as a cheap gimmick to boost revenue. Edited by redfirebird2008
  • Like 1

I'd bet money on Catching Fire breaking the OW record, unless Rises does something really inconceivable(like, $220+m). We've seen how fantastic the late legs have been for THG, which signifies it's got some really good WOM. And if it got the same percentage increase as Iron man 1 to 2, that's good for $190m.$200m is certainly in the cards for it.

200 million, maybe if it is a Summer release, it's Thanksgiving weekend, and I don't think that $200M is possible for a November release, too many people are with family for that to happy, unless Lionsgate can really market it as a family movie. Also, isn't Catching Fire opening on a Wednesday?

Ok, I deserve my crow. Bring it on. You guys were right, and I was wrong.But DAMN...what kind of world is this in which an OPENING DAY of over 60 million is "underwhelming" and "disappointing"? The film has made over 300 million dollars in a little over what, nine days? And it's clearly a success---a major one---already, why does it have to break every record known to man? Enjoy the fact that the film was made, it turned out to be a solid film, and it's a smash, any way you slice it.

Welcome back. Nice of you to accept the crow.And I agree that a 68 million opening day and a 160 million opening weekend is amazing. I also think that there is a chance the final number for the opening day will be more than 70. Great opening :)