75Live

May 7 - 10, 2012 Weekday Numbers: AVENGERS 12.5 Thurs pg 61

Kind of a newbie question:

Q: Has been there some kind of study that says movies released in the Summer months fare better in the long run than movies released in the Spring months?

I know that Summer weekdays are higher than Spring weekdays, but that Spring weekends are way higher than Summer weekends, and that both their M-F totals would eventually even out.

But I could make an argument that a film like The Avengers could do even better in the Summer.

In a month like May, you still have school (obviously), TV shows trying to wrap up their season, sports every night like MLB and even the NBA Playoffs going on. Spring movies usually don't last as long since they have to make room for the other Summer big guns.

In a month like July, people are out of school, TV shows have just ended and are now on re-runs, only the MLB is playing. Not only that but Summer movies can last longer in theaters because the upcoming Fall movies don't have quite the same "guns".

Reason for the question is that me and a couple of my co-workers who haven't seen The Avengers were planning on seeing it Saturday. We're mostly all NBA fans and it's now the NBA Playoffs. We couldn't do it in our usual time tonight, Friday, since some of the people in my group are Clippers fans and there's an elimination game tonight, so we all made an agreement to go to see The Avengers on Saturday instead. But those plans were ruined last night because the Lakers, who is a much bigger deal here in So Cali, lost a game and now would have to play a Game 7 elimination game this coming Saturday. So that means we're going to have to re-schedule our movie weekened for next Saturday instead (and you know what often happens when you put something off - you often put it off again and again until the hype dies down, or someone in your group won't be able to make it). That was 12 people that could've seen The Avengers this Saturday, and that's just my group. There are millions of people that watch these Playoffs games, people whose demographics are The Avengers' target audience.

My other question is that do Studios try to reserve dates years and years ahead of time? I'm just wondering because it seems Warner Bros loves putting out all their big guns in July from Harry Potter to their Chris Nolan's films (Batman to Inception).

Anyway it was just something I've been really curious to know.

I guess you must have been sick the day they taught extrapolations at Extrapolation school. If you'd like a hand understand box office 101, please let one of us know.

Typical baumer. :) Can you show me how you are getting a 650M a lock? Please show me how!Oh and keep the personal attacks to PM, but you are moderator and you should already know this. Shawn is watching.

Typical baumer. :) Can you show me how you are getting a 650M a lock? Please show me how!Oh and keep the personal attacks to PM, but you are moderator and you should already know this. Shawn is watching.

Ugh.Take your pompous attitude, 11 posts, and shove them where the sun don't shine.

A personal attack? Where?I didn't say 650 was locked. I just said that if you use a typical extrapolation that 600 looks attainable. And since I don't think TDKR will hit 500, to me that is an obliteration, especially if it does 300-400 mill more WW.
  • Like 2

Finally thursday numbers@ercboxoffice12.5 million thursdayTHE AVENGERS scored an estimated $12.5M Thursday. Total now stands at a mighty $270M going into a weekend where... fb.me/1w2zwDbxJ

Edited by Hasan Ahmad
  • Like 1

Deadline says Dark Shadows did $550k in midnights.

That's pretty decent for a non-event movie. Safehouse did that much at midnight as well as JC. So not bad. 35-40m OD I see coming.

Projections show Avengers, from Disney and Marvel Studios, grossing $75 million to $100 million, while Dark Shadows is expected to gross $35 million to $40 million.

http://www.hollywood...midnight-323501

We "could" end up with this?!

TA's 2nd WE even not doubling DS's OW?

All our games of "fun facts" would be crushed.

TA's 2 friday bigger than DS"s OW and so on...

mehhhh!

Keep the personal attacks coming.

Is post count the next e-peen? I have been a lurker from the BOM forums days.

And I've been posting here since 2004.

Lurking (skulking) around the forum doesn't give you the right to then randomly start posting with an attitiude and coming for established members like some internet tough guy, and then throwing out the classic "personal attack" persecution complex when you're called on it.

• Like 2