75Live

May 7 - 10, 2012 Weekday Numbers: AVENGERS 12.5 Thurs pg 61

Look up in th dictionary the word obliterated

What records did TDK set? So far TA has obliterated them. And there is a chance that TA can obliterate TDKR in many ways.
  • Like 1

As a comic book geek, I think people are taking the "Marvel vs. DC" / "Batman is the strongest there is vs. Marvel Films" a little too far.We're living the golden age of comic book heroes in cinema. It's not a bad thing that The Avengers is breaking TDK records, it's amazing news to everyone. I sincerily hope that The Avengers breaks even the Avatar records and same goes to TDKR, this is an amazing time to all comic book geeks out there.Embrace it. Enjoy it. Celebrate it. And RELAX, people, the way I see it, The Avengers, ASM and TDK winning is great news to all of us. :D

• Like 2

If your profile location is true, that partially explains it I bet. Price increases are geographically independent sometimes, especially when in an area that has a struggling local economy such as Detroit.A theory, but, a reasonable one when considering we know for a fact that prices have increased on average. The problem with the NATO figure is that's just the average consumers spent...not the real average ticket price itself necessarily. As late shows become more expensive, more people try to find the bargain times (esp. Tuesdays) and matinees. This doesn't even include the fact that 3D surcharges. and IMAX prices increase any supposed "average" by 30-100% in many cases.

Yes, my location is accurate, and I agree that could explain why I personally haven't seen a large increase in ticket prices. There is also a ton of competition in my area - MJR, AMC and Emagine are the huge multiplex chains, and there are many independent theaters ranging from small 1 or 2 screen venues to large 8 to 12+ screen ones. With this much saturation and a depressed economy, there's a limit to how much they can charge for a ticket.Really, the bulk of the increase I have seen in admission cost over the past 5 to 7 years has been directly tied to either IMAX, 3D, or both. If I stick to a 2D showing (which I do by default for a post-production 3D conversion like TA) then I'm not paying really any more than I have been, even for prime time evening or late night showings. If I am willing to go earlier I can actually score first-run tickets for $6 a pop between 4 and 6pm, even on weekends, at the MJR near me. That's actually less than I paid 5 years ago!This is anectodal data. I realize that other markets are different, and some have seen large price increases. I still don't believe that inflation accounts for a large chunk of the difference between the gross for TA and TDK, though. 3D is a much more significant factor.

As a comic book geek, I think people are taking the "Marvel vs. DC" / "Batman is the strongest there is vs. Marvel Films" a little too far.We're living the golden age of comic book heroes in cinema. It's not a bad thing that The Avengers is breaking TDK records, it's amazing news to everyone. I sincerily hope that The Avengers breaks even the Avatar records and same goes to TDKR, this is an amazing time to all comic book geeks out there.Embrace it. Enjoy it. Celebrate it. And RELAX, people, the way I see it, The Avengers, ASM and TDK winning is great news to all of us. :D

I agree. I'm a big-time Marvel Zombie since the mid-1970s, but I loved Batman Begins and TDK. I loved Avengers more, but I look forward to TDKR, also. It really is a golden age for us comic geeks! I'm so jealous of my 12-year-old son, who didn't have to suffer through that awful Spidey TV series in the late 70s, or the laughable "Thor" in that Hulk TV-movie.
  • Like 2

As a comic book geek, I think people are taking the "Marvel vs. DC" / "Batman is the strongest there is vs. Marvel Films" a little too far.

We're living the golden age of comic book heroes in cinema. It's not a bad thing that The Avengers is breaking TDK records, it's amazing news to everyone. I sincerily hope that The Avengers breaks even the Avatar records and same goes to TDKR, this is an amazing time to all comic book geeks out there.

Embrace it. Enjoy it. Celebrate it. And RELAX, people, the way I see it, The Avengers, ASM and TDK winning is great news to all of us. :D

Here here...now back to our brandy:

Posted Image

• Like 1

As a comic book geek, I think people are taking the "Marvel vs. DC" / "Batman is the strongest there is vs. Marvel Films" a little too far.

We're living the golden age of comic book heroes in cinema. It's not a bad thing that The Avengers is breaking TDK records, it's amazing news to everyone. I sincerily hope that The Avengers breaks even the Avatar records and same goes to TDKR, this is an amazing time to all comic book geeks out there.

Embrace it. Enjoy it. Celebrate it. And RELAX, people, the way I see it, The Avengers, ASM and TDK winning is great news to all of us. :D

I want to say no. (the Marvel reader in me is dying typing this).

We need to have a sort of failure.

An antecedent for this kind of "ultraspeed reboot".

Otherwise, Bruce Wayne will fight a new breed of ninjas in 2017.

• Founder / Operator

I still don't believe that inflation accounts for a large chunk of the difference between the gross for TA and TDK, though. 3D is a much more significant factor.

Oh, absolutely agreed.

I sincerily hope that The Avengers breaks even the Avatar records and same goes to TDKR, this is an amazing time to all comic book geeks out there.

Posted Image Edited by dignam

• Founder / Operator

The beauty of what TDKR may or may not achieve is that it will do so organically and not through 3D surcharges which have really skewed the perspective on how records are viewed nowadays. Kinda...sucks, actually.

Edited by ShawnMR

The beauty of what TDKR may or may not achieve is that it will do so organically and not through 3D surcharges which have really skewed the perspective on how records are viewed nowadays. Kinda...sucks, actually.

Not entirely. 300+ IMAX locations will skew its numbers some too. TDK got a $25-30m boost from IMAX prices for its $533m gross and that was with less than 100 IMAX locations.

• Founder / Operator

Not entirely. 300+ IMAX locations will skew its numbers some too. TDK got a $25-30m boost from IMAX prices for its $533m gross and that was with less than 100 IMAX locations.

True, but its still much easier to weed out the IMAX contribution than it is the 3D one. If IMAX ever goes "wide" (or when) to 700-1000+ locations, then it would certainly be different.