CJohn

Weekend estimates thread TA 103,052,274!!

well as things turned out on the bright side today as in all obstacles that could deny my most sincere desire since wednesday night have falling on the waysidei'm going to the cinema this afternoon to see AVENGERS again whoopeeeeeeeeeeeee YES YES YES!!!!! :wub::wiggle: :wiggle: :wiggle::excited:

Also TA is not getting a big boost from 3D anymore.

You guys can easily assume it likely fell no more then 45% in admissions from last week and likely less.

I think TA 3D boost in the end will not be that high so even in ticket sales it will be likley even beyond DMC.

I do not think it will beat TDK or Spider Man 1 in ticket sales unless it goes well past 600 million.

But it will. Why wouldn`t it? Unless something unpredictable happens and it loses half of its theaters early in its run, over $600 mio is happening.

That wouldn't account for an extra 35m tickets though, as redfirebird points out.

But it's also not possible that it sold only another 14M tickets in the next 140M I believe it grossed, as it was late in the run and the 3D share was low, and dollar theatres probably contributed a respectable amount of tickets.

Oh, baumer, don`t you know that TDK sold the most tickets ever, made the most money ever, had 100% fresh reviews , but those numbers were forged to make JC come on top because he`s the head of Illuminati who have their fingers in faking boxoffice to their king`s advantage.

This is exactly how I feel too. It's like the Nolan loonies forget that there are about 30 films that made more money than tDK adjusted. It's not the highest grossing film of all time. They get obsessed with such silly minutia at times.

Yes that's true but at the time avatar only grossed 600M. Still over 100M from it's final gross. Another 15+million tickets is probably what it sold.

The math in that BOM seems off though. If the 4th quarter 2009 average ticket price was $7.61, wouldn't that average already include whatever 3D tickets were sold that quarter? So he is taking an already inflated average ticket price, and then inflating it again with a 3D premium. Granted not a ton of movies were playing in 3D during fourth quarter 2009, but Avatar's $300M (largely 3D) gross that quarter would still affect the average a little bit.

I get angry when people bring up admissions. Admissions to me are not fair, especially when it comes to TDK which no one seemed to want to talk about when it broke all kinds of records. And with Avatar, yes, thank you for the article, which i had never read before, but part of the reason Avatar sold as many tickets as it did is because it was in 3D. Would TDK have sold anywhere near that if it was in 3D? Probably not.Look, Avatar is not in my top 100 films of all time, probably not my top 250 either. Titanic and TDK both are. So this has nothing to do with any bias. But to me, money is money. When you gross as much as you do, its' because people were willing to spend money on your film. So good for TDK that it made 500 mill and good for Avatar than it made 750 mill.

Not to mention that people are more reluctant to spend money, let alone several times, on a pricier ticket. That Avatar had such insane repeat business while costing more than regular movies is saying something. It`s beyond just 3D gimmick. People loved what they saw, deal with it.
  • Like 2

You're telling us it made $150m on 35m tickets? That's $4.28 per ticket for a movie with 3D. No way in hell. If you use the same ticket price at the time it passed Titanic ($9.85), you end up with 76m admissions. When you take out the IMAX boost for TDK, it goes down to 71m admissions. Shrek 2 and SM1 are similar to that.

Then you're telling me that avatar was selling $14 tickets for the last 130-40M of it's run? That's the only way it would've sold less than 71M tickets total.

But it's also not possible that it sold only another 14M tickets in the next 140M I believe it grossed, as it was late in the run and the 3D share was low, and dollar theatres probably contributed a respectable amount of tickets.

I estimate 16m more tickets. Avatar had a long run in regular theaters. It passed Titanic in early February, which was still pretty early in its first run. First run lasted until August.

I'm starting to wonder now too. How high will this go? Spider-man and TDK both adjust to under 600. This looks like it will soar past that.

Disney reports that THE AVENGERS is expected to hit $1 billion worldwide today after only 19 days of release. boxoffice.com

"Whats the source for this statement?"lol look at the theater did this weekend.Where were the sold out shows??2D mostly around here...I am generalizing though but it makes sense.2D shows sold out fast last weekend so many were forced to watch in 3D.This weekend you had an option.

This is exactly how I feel too. It's like the Nolan loonies forget that there are about 30 films that made more money than tDK adjusted. It's not the highest grossing film of all time. They get obsessed with such silly minutia at times.

I don`t get fixation on JC save that his movies are the only ones TDK couldn`t beat domestically. WW and OS, there are many more directors to hate, so I guess Nolanfanboyism is domestic thing. OTOH, as film-makers, they are very different so hating Fincher because he`s touted smart genrius director would make more sense. he makes intelligent movies like Nolan. Yet hate is absent most likely due to Fincher`s boxoffice that lags well behind Nolan`s biggest hits. Edited by fishnets