Corpse

JAPAN BOX OFFICE | Demon Slayer breaks all time record for OW

No, SA is the one with the pyrrhic victory. Frozen holds the records that actually matter.

Also

Spirited Away's gross outside Japan: 45.4 millionFrozen's gross outside Japan: 1.02 billion

:bop:

No reason to compare a low budget japanese flick with a hollywood blockbuster globally. Frozen's success is well deserved as well. 

• Like 2

No, SA is the one with the pyrrhic victory. Frozen holds the records that actually matter.

Also

Spirited Away's gross outside Japan: 45.4 millionFrozen's gross outside Japan: 1.02 billion

:bop:

Wrong use of word, idiotic comparison.

$40 Dollars a ticket in Japan?

Those admissions are for 4 chains ( Toho, 109, Kinezo and Movix), representing about 35% of japanese market share. 40 is the multiplier to be applied to obtain the approximate daily gross.

Edited by edroger

Could be looking at the biggest OW of the year, no ?

I wonder if it's benefiting from Frozen's run a bit since they're both Disney properties.

Corpse:

Top Opening Weekends - 2014Gross ¥ ($) / Admissions [screens] - Film (Distributor)¥1 billion ↨¥789.3 million ($7.8 million) / 649,865 [341] - Detective Conan: The Sniper from Another Dimension (Toho)¥763.4 million ($7.5 million) / 602,347 [598] - Frozen (Disney)¥649.8 million ($6.4 million) / 539,132 [329] - Lupin III vs. Detective Conan (Toho)¥600.4 million ($5.9 million) / 530,554 [361] - Doraemon: Nobita's Great Demon - Peko and the Exploration Party (Toho)¥542.3 million ($5.3 million) / 429,918 [430] - The Eternal Zero (Toho)

• Like 1

Could be looking at the biggest OW of the year, no ? I wonder if it's benefiting from Frozen's run a bit since they're both Disney properties.

That was important for sure. Everybody Who saw Frozen, saw Maleficent's trailer.But Jolie has a good box office in Japan. Her action hits made more than 20 million There.

The admissions are for 4 chains ( Toho, 109, Kinezo and Movix) that are about 35% of japanese market share.

[順位] [販売数] [映画作品タイトル名]
 *1 105249 マレフィセント
 *2 *32106 オール・ユー・ニード・イズ・…
 *3 *19649 アナと雪の女王
 *4 *15126 超高速!参勤交代

I think today's Maleficent TOHO number should be around 57000 , almost on par with Frozen's OW.
If $4M today is possible, that means tomorrow will be around 4.5 m (Sunday is stronger than Saturday in Japan)
If this happens, the OW would be more than 850m  Yen...
I don't think today will be more than 4m. In OW, the ticket price is lower than usual...
Edited by LABAS
  • Like 1

[順位] [販売数] [映画作品タイトル名]
 *1 105249 マレフィセント
 *2 *32106 オール・ユー・ニード・イズ・…
 *3 *19649 アナと雪の女王
 *4 *15126 超高速!参勤交代

I think today's Maleficent TOHO number should be around 57000 , almost on par with Frozen's OW.
If $4M today is possible, that means tomorrow will be around 4.5 m (Sunday is stronger than Saturday in Japan)
If this happens, the OW would be more than 850m  Yen...
I don't think today will be more than 4m. In OW, the ticket price is lower than usual...

yes, frozen had 58401 adm on toho in first saturday and did 3,8M$ (however it opened on friday)

Frozen is still alive :)

For me it is dead,its run was way too long,I completely lost interest despite I love the movie.Japanese people seem very slow.Japanese runs are too lengthy,Russian ones are too short,two extremes.Something like the US BO is the best : it can be huge at the beginning and going on for 3 months after that.

[順位] [販売数] [映画作品タイトル名] *1 105249 マレフィセント *2 *32106 オール・ユー・ニード・イズ・… *3 *19649 アナと雪の女王 *4 *15126 超高速!参勤交代 I think today's Maleficent TOHO number should be around 57000 , almost on par with Frozen's OW.If $4M today is possible, that means tomorrow will be around 4.5 m (Sunday is stronger than Saturday in Japan)If this happens, the OW would be more than 850m  Yen...I don't think today will be more than 4m. In OW, the ticket price is lower than usual...

So Maleficent now has a real shot for $7M OW (or probably more)?!