Corpse

JAPAN BOX OFFICE | Demon Slayer breaks all time record for OW

『アナと雪の女王』は8/10までの累计动员1994万1465人

So, as of August 10th, the total admission of Frozen in Japan is 19.94m ....very very close to

20m

Hope Frozen can reach this milestone.

Awesome  :lol:

Note: The grosses are rough estimates based on estimated admissions for the day.

Obon Week (Rough) Estimates:

Monday (08/11):
¥250 million ($2.4 million), ¥1.24 billion ($12.1 million) - Stand By Me, Doraemon (Day 4))
¥130 million ($1.2 million), ¥790 million ($7.7 million) - Transformers: Age of Extinction (Day 4)
¥125 million ($1.2 million), ¥2.07 billion ($20.3 million) - Rurouni Kenshin: The Great Kyoto Fire Arc (Day 11)
¥70 million ($0.6 million), ¥5.30 billion ($52.6 million) - Maleficent (Day 38)
¥60 million ($0.5 million), ¥2.12 billion ($20.8 million) - Memories of Marnie (Day 24)
¥55 million ($0.5 million), ¥2.11 billion ($20.7 million) - Godzilla (Day 18)
¥50 million ($0.4 million), ¥1.94 billion ($19.0 million) - Pokemon XY (Day 24)

Tuesday (08/12):
¥270 million ($2.6 million), ¥1.52 billion ($14.8 million) - Stand By Me, Doraemon (Day 5)
¥125 million ($1.2 million), ¥2.19 billion ($21.5 million) - Rurouni Kenshin: The Great Kyoto Fire Arc (Day 12)
¥120 million ($1.1 million), ¥910 million ($8.9 million) - Transformers: Age of Extinction (Day 5) 
¥75 million ($0.7 million), ¥5.37 billion ($53.3 million) - Maleficent (Day 39)
¥70 million ($0.6 million), ¥2.19 billion ($21.5 million) - Memories of Marnie (Day 25)
¥50 million ($0.4 million), ¥2.16 billion ($21.2 million) - Godzilla (Day 19)
¥50 million ($0.4 million), ¥1.99 billion ($19.5 million) - Pokemon XY (Day 25)

Wednesday (08/13):
¥330 million ($3.2 million), ¥1.85 billion ($18.1 million) - Stand By Me, Doraemon (Day 6)
¥180 million ($1.7 million), ¥2.38 billion ($23.2 million) - Rurouni Kenshin: The Great Kyoto Fire Arc (Day 13)
¥140 million ($1.3 million), ¥1.05 billion ($10.2 million) - Transformers: Age of Extinction (Day 6) 
¥115 million ($1.1 million), ¥5.49 billion ($54.4 million) - Maleficent (Day 40)
¥100 million ($0.9 million), ¥2.29 billion ($22.5 million) - Memories of Marnie (Day 26)
¥70 million ($0.7 million), ¥2.23 billion ($22.0 million) - Godzilla (Day 20)
¥65 million ($0.6 million), ¥2.05 billion ($20.2 million) - Pokemon XY (Day 26)

Thursday (08/14):
¥405 million ($3.9 million), ¥2.26 billion ($22.1 million) - Stand By Me, Doraemon (Day 7)
¥215 million ($2.1 million), ¥2.60 billion ($25.4 million) - Rurouni Kenshin: The Great Kyoto Fire Arc (Day 14)
¥210 million ($2.0 million), ¥1.26 billion ($12.3 million) - Transformers: Age of Extinction (Day 7) 
¥120 million ($1.1 million), ¥5.61 billion ($55.5 million) - Maleficent (Day 41)
¥110 million ($1.0 million), ¥2.40 billion ($23.6 million) - Memories of Marnie (Day 27)
¥105 million ($1.0 million), ¥2.34 billion ($23.1 million) - Godzilla (Day 21)
¥65 million ($0.6 million), ¥2.12 billion ($20.9 million) - Pokemon XY (Day 27)

Friday (08/15):
¥340 million ($3.3 million), ¥2.60 billion ($25.4 million) - Stand By Me, Doraemon (Day 8)
¥175 million ($1.7 million), ¥2.77 billion ($27.1 million) - Rurouni Kenshin: The Great Kyoto Fire Arc (Day 15)
¥165 million ($1.6 million), ¥1.43 billion ($13.9 million) - Transformers: Age of Extinction (Day 8) 
¥100 million ($0.9 million), ¥5.71 billion ($56.3 million) - Maleficent (Day 42)
¥90 million ($0.8 million), ¥2.49 billion ($24.4 million) - Memories of Marnie (Day 28)
¥85 million ($0.8 million), ¥2.42 billion ($23.9 million) - Godzilla (Day 22)
¥55 million ($0.5 million), ¥2.18 billion ($21.5 million) - Pokemon XY (Day 28)
  • Like 4

The Doraemon franchise will easily top 80 billion yen total with this. It's coming for Harry Potter in just a few years now. I'm glad it will eventually be #1 and not Pokemon. I like the Pokemon games as much as anyone else but there's no doubt that Doraemon is just the better anime franchise of the two imo.

Edited by Cynosure

I'm surprised at how well Stand by Me Doraemon has been received, both at the box office and in terms of audience reception. I thought it might fail due to people being turned off by it being CGI. But then again, the Doraemon movies have been doing exceptionally well lately, despite the cast overhaul from a few years back.

Personally, I'm really intrigued with Stand By Me, and how they have incorporated the various storylines into one film. The CGI animation looks pretty decent too.

On the other hand, man, that Marnie performance is disappointing. Huge drop off from Yonebayashi's last outing, though that one definitely benefited from Miyazaki's name being advertised as the writer, whereas he is completely hands-off here. Arietty probably also benefitted from the obvious fantasy setting.

Considering how Mamoru Hosoda's films have been doing better and better and resulted in a HUGE hit with Wolf Children, it's obvious that losing him during Howl's Moving Castle was a big blow to them. Their future looks pretty rocky, and Hosoda clearly was the fresh face that they needed to keep them more stable.

• Like 1

A ¥4.22 billion total for 'Wolf Children' is pretty good but hardly a huge hit. In fact 'Memories of Marnie' will probably get close to that total.

Since there's still Obon this week and a couple of weeks of summer break left, I don't deny that Marnie could come pretty close to matching Wolf Children's total.  But I wasn't necessarily comparing the grosses of the two to measure their respective successes.

The fact is that everything is relative, and I'd say Wolf Children was a huge hit, as it made the top 10 grossing films of that year, and for an animated film to do that, not coming from Studio Ghibli or an established franchise (Evangelion, One Piece, Doraemon, Detective Conan, etc.), is honestly a pretty major feat. Sure, there were some big names like Aoi Miyazaki and Takao Osawa in the cast, but many other animated films have had that sort of selling point too. So it's impressive that Hosoda's gotten to that point mostly due to his own rising star. If his film is able to make 4 billion without any major brand recognition, imagine what could be done with the Ghibli label attached. I suppose it's all hypothetical with a lot of "ifs," but I don't think there's any doubt he would have been an asset to Ghibli in terms of both commercial and creative success.

A ¥4.22 billion total for 'Wolf Children' is pretty good but hardly a huge hit. In fact 'Memories of Marnie' will probably get close to that total.

Wolf Children is the highest-grossing animated film that hasn't come from Disney(Pixar), Studio Ghibli, or a franchise like Pokemon or Doraemon.  

It's also the only non-brand animated film to ever earn more than 3 billion. 

Edited by Corpse

How does Marnie compare with Poppy Hill and Wolf Children now?

Still looks to be tracking ~10% or so behind them.  Considering how consistent they've been, I doubt it changes direction and will end up around 4 billion ($40 million).  

Wow Doraemon! Never thought it would be this big. The CGI looks weird, but apparently people don't really mind about it. But I'm actually interested in it, especially the story. I hope it will be released here.

Btw I saw Detective Conan movie today. It was just released here this week. It was a sold-out show, almost didn't get the tickets. Detective Conan is pretty popular in Indonesia and this is the first movie that got a theatrical release here, so I was not surprised by the excitement. With this result, I hope they will keep releasing future movies.

Toho, Movix, 109, Kinezo Cinema Chains Weekend Admissions (08/16-17)
180,566 (-10%) - Stand By Me, Doraemon (Week 2)
109,273 (NEW) - Hot Road (NEW)
88,613 (-20%) - Rurouni Kenshin: The Great Kyoto Fire Arc (Week 3)
78,219 (-33%) - Transformers: Age of Extinction (Week 2)
48,666 (-05%) - Maleficent (Week 7)
43,749 (-05%) - Godzilla (Week 4)
43,409 (-03%) - Memories of Marnie (Week 5)
28,517 (-22%) - Pokemon XY: The Cocoon of Destruction & Diancie (Week 5)
11,628 (+01%) - Eight Ranger 2 (Week 4)
7,900 (-29%) - Kamen Rider Gaim the Movie: The Great Soccer Match! (Week 5)

>Stand By Me, Doraemon has a strong second weekend that should be between ¥650-700 million ($6.5-7 million) and 450-500,000 admissions.  And using the rough estimates from Monday-Friday, it's 10-day total should come in between ¥3.1-3.3 billion ($30-32 million) and 2.3-2.5 million admissions, the highest 2-week total so far this year (which is unlikely to change).  

>Hot Road performed really well, and actually didn't drop too much on Sunday despite Saturday's stage greetings.  Normally, a film that opens with stage greetings tends to see very harsh drops the next day.  It's opening weekend will probably land between ¥300-350 million and 250-300,000 admissions.  

The stage greetings, as well as the genre, will result in a low avg. ticket price, so while it probably ranked 2nd in admissions over the weekend, both Rurouni Kenshin 2 and Transformers 4 make the battle for 2nd in gross close.  

>And very notable holds for Maleficent and Marnie once again, but also very strong for Godzilla, all looking at sub-10% drops.  Godzilla's third weekend hold was concerning last week, but it's definitely recovered over the week. 

I'll have full Weekend Estimates up later.
  • Like 2

The Doraemon franchise will easily top 80 billion yen total with this. It's coming for Harry Potter in just a few years now. I'm glad it will eventually be #1 and not Pokemon. I like the Pokemon games as much as anyone else but there's no doubt that Doraemon is just the better anime franchise of the two imo.

Do you think 'Fantastic Beasts' will be big, being a Potter spin-off and all? If so, Potter might keep the crown for a little longer. :D