Neo

The Magnificent Seven | 9/23/16 | Reviews coming in - not exactly Magnificent

On 8/24/2016 at 3:42 PM, JennaJ said:

Hey, I'll take any positive indication I can get. I'm rooting for this movie and right now it feels very muted to me. 

I see mostly positive reactions, but I see very few of them. Maybe I just got used to following tentpoles and this isn't it, but right now I'm hoping there's a lot of interest that for some reason just isn't reflected on social media.

:unsure:

The audience for this movie will skew much older than most "blockbusters" thus the social media tracking is probably not as good of indication for this films BO potential as with other films. I think it will be great. and do $150m+ myself.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, John Marston said:

This will flop. Audiences don't want remakes of classic films. Also it wont do high business overseas since it is a western and Denzel has zero overseas drawing power 

But Pratt does have draw power. And DOM, just this year Ghostbusters didn't embarass itself. The budget is a measly 108M (probably 220M PTA included). No way it doesn't turn a profit WW.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

This will flop. Audiences don't want remakes of classic films. Also it wont do high business overseas since it is a western and Denzel has zero overseas drawing power 

Thats not true. He's obviously stronger domestically but his films do solidly overseas as well. The Equalizer did 101 Dom/90.8 OS/192m WW, American Gangster 130m DOm/136m OS/ 266m WW, Safe House 126m DOM/81m OS/ 208m WW   

I expect atleast 200m WW because of the bigger name cast and it's a much more commercial western. 

• Like 1

Where does the "audiences don't want remakes of classics" thought come from?

The wildly misguided Ben-Hur remake?

Cuz we have like a dozen recent examples that point to the opposite

• Like 3

Pratt has no proven draw power

Dude, I would say that somebody who has starred in two of the most successful movies of the last few years, both DOM and OS, has got to be damn near proven as a big star. Or you're gonna tell me Jurassic World would've done the exact same numbers if they cast someone else in Pratt's role, when Pratt was coming hot off Guardians? Not quite like that.

But argo, I see where you're coming from, I just don't think this will flop at all. Even if it underperforms OS (which it might, considering the diminished appeal of westerns), DOM will be strong enough for a profit to be found in the WW haul.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Dude, I would say that somebody who has starred in two of the most successful movies of the last few years, both DOM and OS, has got to be damn near proven as a big star. Or you're gonna tell me Jurassic World would've done the exact same numbers if they cast someone else in Pratt's role, when Pratt was coming hot off Guardians? Not quite like that.

But argo, I see where you're coming from, I just don't think this will flop at all. Even if it underperforms OS (which it might, considering the diminished appeal of westerns), DOM will be strong enough for a profit to be found in the WW haul.

There is zero proof Pratt had anything to do with Jurassic World success. He was good in the film and added to its  quality but if another actor who was also charismatic enough had been in JW it would have likely done the same 

Edited by John Marston

3 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Jungle Book, Tarzan, Godzilla, Cinderella, etc

Fair enough but Most of those were going from animated to live action which is kind of different. Godzilla also has the "Godzilla being done in new state of the art FX" angle

Edited by John Marston

There is zero proof Pratt had anything to do with Jurassic World success. He was good in yu film and added to his quality but if another actor who was also charismatic enough had been in JW it would have likely done the same 

Maybe it would've had similar legs, but it would've NOT had the same opening. Try to cast anybody who you had never heard of before, or was closer to box office poison than anything, as charismatic as he may be. JW did have very strong marketing in quantity terms (quality... debatable), and that helped it, as did the early WOM that pushed the film to high levels, so maybe a 150M opening would've always happened. But that initial frontloadedness factor that it had? No way Pratt didn't have anything to do w/it. The 1st trailer as distributed by Universal's channel on YT had an abnormal amount of views not just because it was Jurassic Park 4 - but because Pratt, who had just starred in GOTG, was in it. And I know a lot of people who were interested just as much in him as in the dinosaurs.

I don't know, this is my pov here. I don't think that any other actor would've had the same numbers. And yes, I know The Force Awakens starred unknowns too. But Star Wars is Star Wars, my friend. Jurassic Park is big, but it's no Star Wars.

8 minutes ago, Chewy said:

lol people always do this with new franchise stars. People like him but he did not have the effect on a Marvel/JP movie's opening that you think he did

Just goes to show why Hollywood is so starved for new leading men.

1 hour ago, Chewy said:

lol people always do this with new franchise stars. People like him but he did not have the effect on a Marvel/JP movie's opening that you think he did

You can't prove that he didn't anymore than I can prove that he did, but his face was all over marketing for JW, just as much as the dinosaurs.

i personally know people who went to see it because of him, just like they're gonna go see this because he's in it. The tweets I see about this movie are mostly about Pratt and Denzel being in it (usually something like "I don't care for remakes/westerns but Pratt/Denzel are in it so it must be good").

This "draw" debate is pretty useless because no one can prove anything. No actor can make a total dud into a hit just on the power of his name, but I have no doubt Pratt appeals to some people who otherwise would not care about this movie.

Edited by JennaJ

41 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Where does the "audiences don't want remakes of classics" thought come from?

The wildly misguided Ben-Hur remake?

Cuz we have like a dozen recent examples that point to the opposite

Case in point, the highest grossing film of 2015, Dom & WW shows the craving for remakes of classic movies is definitely there.

• Like 1