Neo

The Magnificent Seven | 9/23/16 | Reviews coming in - not exactly Magnificent

I would be worried if I saw a bunch of reviews saying it's boring or slow or old-fashioned, something to that effect. Instead it sounds like the movie as it stands is well acted, well paced and thrilling. The problem is it's a remake of a classic and that ups the ante for some reviews. So far I've seen nothing to make me doubt I'll enjoy this immensely at the theater.

RT watch: 9 positive to 2 negative, 82%

Edited by JennaJ
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, JennaJ said:

I would be worried if I saw a bunch of reviews saying it's boring or slow or old-fashioned, something to that effect. Instead it sounds like the movie as it stands is well acted, well paced and thrilling. The problem is it's a remake of a classic and that ups the ante for some reviews. So far I've seen nothing to make me doubt I'll enjoy this immensely at the theater.

RT watch: 9 positive to 2 negative, 82%

I just glanced at twitter and it seems considerably more positive than negative.  I'm just not sure which of those are critics RT uses.  JoBlo?  Indiewire?  They like it a lot.

32 minutes ago, JennaJ said:

So far it's mixed-to-positive, IMHO. Not raving enough to make anyone against remakes change his tune, but certainly not bad either. I don't think these reviews will hurt the BO, especially considering the things they highlight are what the GA is looking for, I think.

TBH I wasn't expecting all out raves but I think Sony and MGM will be happy with those reviews

30 minutes ago, Daniel Dylan Davis said:

Reviews seem okay. I wasn't expecting much honestly, considering Fugua is not a director who makes critically acclaimed films. 

Apart from Training Day and maybe Southpaw, Fuqua has made solid if unspectacular films but are crowd pleasers. 

• Like 2

This is all i needed to read to secure my opening day ticket.

The rest of the team is made up of a former sharpshooter named Goodnight Robicheaux (Ethan Hawke, reuniting with Fuqua and Washington fromTraining Day); his knife wielding partner, Billy Rocks (Byung-hun Lee); an outlaw named Vazquez (Manuel Garcia-Rulfo); a Comanche warrior named Red Harvest (Martin Sensmeir); and an alien from the planet XALEFGHERNOT, played by Vincent D’Onofrio.

That last sentence is a lie, but it’s my honest-to-goodness best explanation for what D’Onofrio is doing in this movie. There’s a scene where he’s twisting a knife into someone’s chest yelling, with a high-pitched voice, “Clear vision!” I have no idea what that means! He’s like this the whole movie. There should be classes taught on this performance. It’s like D’Onofrio saw the dailies of all the over-the-top performances and decided, “Boys, you ain’t seen nothin’ yet.” Maybe D’Onofrio is an alien. Maybe he was just playing himself in Men in Black. It would just make so much more sense. But I don’t want it to make sense

• Like 19

12 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Apart from Training Day and maybe Southpaw, Fuqua has made solid if unspectacular films but are crowd pleasers. 

The Equalizer was pretty enjoyable, but yeah, he's mostly a fine workman director, although I will say he knows how to film a movie well.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Daniel Dylan Davis said:

The Equalizer was pretty enjoyable, but yeah, he's mostly a fine workman director, although I will say he knows how to film a movie well.

Surprising he's never been approached for a DC or Marvel film or even a big tentpole, not that Mag 7 isn't one but something on the scale of Transformers or Pirates. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

A lot of reviews comparing it to the original. That only means that I'll probably enjoy it more than if I had actually seen the original(s). 

So far so good regarding those reviews. Enjoying what I'm reading.

Yeah, basically this.

RT added a 3rd negative from Collider. There are a few positives not added yet, but yeah, seems like the 60s is where this is headed. About what I figured beforehand. I'll be happy as long as it's fresh.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Surprising he's never been approached for a DC or Marvel film or even a big tentpole, not that Mag 7 isn't one but something on the scale of Transformers or Pirates. 

He tends to do more mid-budgeted films, honestly not really sure he's fit to direct a blockbuster. Maybe he could do Cyborg's film, if WB still decides to go through with it.

Edited by Daniel Dylan Davis
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Daniel Dylan Davis said:

He tends to do more mid-budgeted films, honestly not really sure he's fit to direct a blockbuster. Maybe he could do Cyborg's film, if WB still decides to go through with it.

I think he'll get offers if Mag 7 does break out. I do think he's still burnt from the experience of King Arthur hence why he hasn't directed one in a while.

Cyborg would be a good choice although I wouldn't be surprised if it's dropped in favour of a Wonder Woman sequel or Booster Gold

• Like 1

At this point, there's no way people aren't going to come out for this. Marketed as a clear cut Western from the director of Training Day that features that film's two leads and has Chris Pratt along for the ride, and then market the shit out of it, I mean, this is a no brainer.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, JennaJ said:

Toronto Sun also a rave. I'm not sure which of these are RT critics but so far I think this ends positive. 

http://www.torontosun.com/2016/09/08/the-magnificent-seven-review-denzel-washington-chris-pratt-western-a-must-see?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Well, there's hope: