Neo

The Magnificent Seven | 9/23/16 | Reviews coming in - not exactly Magnificent

14 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

This film's the opener for TIFF. $200M DOM CONFIRMED!

Previous TIFF openers: The Fifth Estate, The Judge, Demolition. Oof.

But yeah, this isn't surprising. The Equalizer premiered at TIFF two years ago.

48 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Previous TIFF openers: The Fifth Estate, The Judge, Demolition. Oof.

Well, Looper opened TIFF and I loved that, so... yeah.

I did watch the press confrence and they said the choice had to do with the quality of the movie as well as appealing to a large audience.

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Very much looking forward to this but I won't disagree with those who say this feels nothing even remotely authentic to the time period.

Is it bad that I don't really care? I just want it to be an awesomely entertaining movie with characters I can care about.

I'm not a huge Westerns fan so I don't really mind if it breaks away from genre conventions or if there are elments of it that feel modernized.

This summer has been such a wasteland for me in terms of enternaining movie going experiences, I just hope the fall can make up for it, and this is one movie I'm still excited for. I hope it gets positive reviews from TIFF and Venice, if it's a dud, we'll know well in advance.

Edited by JennaJ
  • Like 2

The budget is $108m which is high for a September film but on par with Gravity and The Martian which were in the $100m range. 

I'm thinking it's going to break the September record by a good $5-10m I wouldn't even be surprised if it cracks $60m OW at this point