rockNrollaDIM

Fri: SW 20.3m; MIB 8.3m; TA 5.65m/Sat DHD: SW 21.5m; MIB 12m; TA 9m

I'd be really surprised if Madagascar 3 opened under $50M. Major animated releases in June tend to do fairly well, and there hasn't been a movie appropriate for young children in quite some weeks.

Edited by YoursTruly

If Prometheus opened above Inception that would the coolest thing ever, being an R-rated space horror flick. I do think its very possible, but far from a lock.

70m is a lock. It will easily generate more interest than SW. I'm thinking 75-80m at the moment.

The difference I always felt wasn't quite its hard R rating as much the kind of R rating it was. To me at least it seemed like the majority of people's complaints about the movie had to do with Dr Manhatten's radioactive junk. Seriously, anyone I knew who was told that about the movie and hadn't read the comic previously was immediately turned off by the movie.

The political themes and the fact that even the film's most heroic characters were still anti-heroes, in addition to the moral ambiguity of the climax and the raw, brutal violence were also major factors. The only comic book film that I could say comes close to being as dark in tone would be Sin City, but they marketed that as being firmly dark in tone, while Watchmen's marketing was confusing. Prometheus is clearly being marketed as dark, adult-oriented science fiction and as such, will be received better. I saw a mother and a 10 year old dressed up in Superhero costumes for Watchmen and they walked out an hour in, I do not think that will happen when I go see Prometheus. Expect a 55%+ turn out for over 25s and a B+ or A- Cinemascore, since early reports overseas show it to be a crowd pleaser with adults.

Expect a 55%+ turn out for over 25s and a B+ or A- Cinemascore, since early reports overseas show it to be a crowd pleaser with adults.

lol this film is anything, but a crowd pleaser. It left me confused and irritated at first.

Lock?!

What on earth leads you to believe 70m is locked?

Look athe UK numbers, it's HUGE. It only has to have a slight more admission than SW. It's not a tall order. 70m is happening.

$70m ow a lock for Prome??? I wish, but no.

I wish yes.

LOL

Posted Image

lol this film is anything, but a crowd pleaser. It left me confused and irritated at first.

It is performing well above expectations in the UK and France at the moment, and opened on par with SW in fewer markets, that is generally a good sign for a film of this sort. Under 25s will probably be turned off by it here in the states (although I am 17 and have been anticipating it heavily, I have been a film buff most of my life though and dark, cerebral Sci-fi is my favorite genre), but it looks to be the only summer blockbuster aiming for the 35-50 crowd and this will give it some solid legs. Edited by JonnyCraig

I'm hoping the top 3 all increase with actuals, those Sunday drops seems a bit harsh. MIB 3 held really well for a Memorial weekend opener. I'd say this has an outside chance at catching MIB 2's unadjusted 190m total.Great for Snow White. After the initial crazy high predictions and then the extremely lowered ones due to the tracking, it kinda met them in the middle. Still a good opening and should at least see a 150m finish for it. Its huge budget makes the opening less impressive, but I'm sure John Carter and Battleship would sell their souls to get a 56m OW.And what else needs to be said about The Avengers. 5 weekends over 20m is amazing, and it just keep chugging toward 600m.

• Like 1