rockNrollaDIM

Fri: SW 20.3m; MIB 8.3m; TA 5.65m/Sat DHD: SW 21.5m; MIB 12m; TA 9m

I predicted 51M i think.I got quite lucky for one of my first predictions.:)Why "kudos" for a low estimates from the studio? A lot here sayed 70M+ i think. Are they happy?Following this logic, let's predict..i don't know...a "shy" 30M for Brave and then we will make a party if it gets to 45M despite the fact that it have to open much higher than this, like 60-65M.From a studio, an estimate too low on purpose is a cheap way to be right and say "you see?! All is fine!"

A 50 mill opening for this movie is more than I thought it would do. And if the budget wasn't so ridiculous, it would be an excellent opening. A 50 mill gross for a movie that has no built in fanbase is quite good. But the budget hangs over them like the Sword of Damocles.

• Like 2

A 50 mill opening for this movie is more than I thought it would do. And if the budget wasn't so ridiculous, it would be an excellent opening. A 50 mill gross for a movie that has no built in fanbase is quite good. But the budget hangs over them like the Sword of Damocles.

True. 50M looks good for a potential franchise started. But the budget is just too big. Hopefully, it will explode OS.

Good for SWATH. But when your expectations have been lowered so much...

I think part of this is the post-Avengers reality. Sony execs were predicting 80 million for MIB3 and it only made 69 million. Every movie for the past 3 weeks has underperformed and I expect lowered expectations for Prometheus and Madagascar 3 , too.

It'll also depend on what the later estimates say. If it goes up to $20m, that's a decent opening (actually, it's pretty good, but again -- that budget!). But if it sinks to $17m or so, not so great.

Either way, the budget is a dark cloud over them.

I figured in the 48-52 range, and picked the higher number for the "SWATH under 45 mil" thread. Hopefully it goes up a lil bit with actuals, and that this bodes well for OS numbers.

Under 40m? What sites? Everything I've seen said 40+

Rope of Silicon, Box Office Mojo, Shawn at BOT, and barely over 40M we have Boxofficebuzz and Coming Soon, from the ones I remember. Edited by CJohn

Yes. That budget is murder.

I don't know what are the studios thinking, but spending those amounts of cash in original movies isn't the best thing to do.