Totem

When will we get a 250M OW? What film could do it?

It could still top 200m. The 'being released in December' argument is a load of crap*. DMC wasn't a fanboy driven film either** and look how big that opened??

* Wrong. Anyway we shall see in a week how much valid that argument is valid.

** Wrong again. There were a lot of hardcore fans after the 1st film who couldn't wait to see Jack Sparrow again on OW.

* Wrong. Anyway we shall see in a week how much valid that argument is valid.** Wrong again. There were a lot of hardcore fans after the 1st film who couldn't wait to see Jack Sparrow again on OW.

You do realise that ROTK adjusts to over 50m for the OD and over 100m for the OW taking IMAX and 3d into account and that movie was over 3 hours long. Avatar and I Am Legend (both original movies) managed to open to 77m without a built in fanbase so don't tell me I'm wrong when there is absolutely nothing to support you're argument. We don't get big openings in December because we rarely get big sequels released in December. The Hobbit won't prove anything as there is far less excitement for it than there was with LOTR not to mention all the negativity surrounding it.There are also a lot of people that can't wait to see Pandora again, DMC was a family film, just like Avatar. Think what you wont but it wasn't completely fanboy driven. Edited by Jessie
  • Like 1

You do realise that ROTK adjusts to over 50m for the OD and over 100m for the OW taking IMAX and 3d into account and that movie was over 3 hours long. Avatar and I Am Legend (both original movies) managed to open to 77m without a built in fanbase* so don't tell me I'm wrong when there is absolutely nothing to support you're argument**. We don't get big openings in December because we rarely get big sequels released in December. The Hobbit won't prove anything as there is far less excitement for it than there was with LOTR not to mention all the negativity surrounding it.

There are also a lot of people that can't wait to see Pandora again, DMC was a family film, just like Avatar. Think what you wont but it wasn't completely fanboy driven.

*There is a BIG difference between 77m and 200m.

**I have the entire box office history to support my argument.

*There is a BIG difference between 77m and 200m.

**I have the entire box office history to support my argument.

Of course there's a big difference, its an original film about a man fighting vampires and a movie which assembled comic book character from 4 different movies with 5 years added inflation, 3d, and IMAX. Here's a link, you tell me which films would have ever had the chance to open huge?? Until then, there really isn't any evidence to support your theory. http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/weekends/month/?mo=12&p=.htm

You put this chart to say you agree with me?Then, it's cool.Having a 100M OW in december would be big enough.Record or 250M won't happen in Christmas month.

So just say Avengers were to have opened in December, what do you think it will have opened to??

In 8 days will see what kind of OW December can muster. December has only had one movie were a big OW was possible and that was ROTK. ROTK opened in 2003 were the record was 114M, if ROTK had opened in Friday than it would have had a chance at the record. Now look 9 years later with IMAX+3D what should be in store? 200M is not in play, but if it makes 150M+ than that will open the doors to other movies in December.

It is alot, but again, one must ask themselves if the general moviegoer who doesn't hang out on sites like this and RT will care about reviews and instead, see it anyway on the goodwill of LOTR and Peter Jackson???? This is a holiday movie and will do as well as the LOTR movies did at Christmas..

I understand your point, but there was far more hype for ROTK than this and it will have to sell more tickets than ROTK to reach those heights. Then again, movies have been getting more and more frontloaded but as of now, I don't see it happening.