Totem

When will we get a 250M OW? What film could do it?

I don't think it can happen for at least another 5 years.  Too many seats have been lost with all the theater renovations that are occurring and the ticket prices are not nearly high enough to compensate.  Just to give an example in my market so far the 4 out of the 5 busiest theaters have finished major renovations in the last year and half.  They have lost about 60 percent of their capacity.  The one I know best went from around 5200 to exactly 2000 seat capacity.  The biggest non-Imax house became a Dolby Cinema with 200 seats down from over 500. 

The theater went from a theoretical max showing a movie 9 times per house in 3D of 623,750 per day.  Its new theoretical max is right around 293,000.  This is fine for most weekends and movies but when you get to the mega openers it will put a limit to how much they can make.  A more realistic 6-9pm window for a SW/JP type movie went from about 7 screens plus 1 Imax seating in the ball park of 2200 and a max of revenue of about 30k to seating for less than 1400 and max revenue of 20-21k. 

I don't think Episode 9 will do it.

Episode 8 was massively hyped over questions over Rey and Luke from Episode 7. It was unlike Episode 7 a very standalone movie, more so then even Empire Strikes Back. 

It will be a huge opening but I don't think it will get a massive boost as frankly overall Episode 9 has no epic hook really. 

17 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

medium.jpg

What else?

If not IW this April, than "Avatar 2" is the last chance in this decade. But I don't think it's going to have so massive opening weekend. More like twice as much as the first Avatar did in the first three days (maybe $160 mln). But its legs - oh dear. If there is any film with chances to beat TFA domestic record ($936,7 mln) it is Avatar sequel.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, MrGlass2 said:

Wolf Warrior 3.

This.

Unless the thread is located in DOM market, this Chinese film is the main candidate. And maybe it will do it with certain ease...

If this is just about DOM, Star Wars IX.

• Thanks 1

The only real possibility:

- Avengers: Infinity War

If these movies were to happen, you can also add them to the list:

-A Harry Potter continuation

-A proper live action Pokemon movie (not that Detective Pikachu crap for nex year)

-Back to the Future Part IV